PDA

View Full Version : Bring a towel. (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie)

Dyne
04-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Ok, it's out. http://stat.livejournal.com/img/talk/md01_alien.gifWho's seen it?

I'm going to see it tonight with my girlfriend. She forced me to read the first book, and I quite enjoyed it.

I'll post impressions later.

In the meanwhiles, how about yourselves?

Happydude
04-29-2005, 06:57 PM
i read the book...confusing...but good, wanna watch the movie

Swan
04-29-2005, 07:25 PM
I still need to read the book, need to find it. Foxxy's told me that it's hilarious.

Want to see movie.

Dyne
04-29-2005, 07:28 PM
It is a hilarious book.

I imagined Eddie the computer as Freddie from Scooby Doo.

http://www.cia.com.au/seale/pf.jpg
"Hi gang!"

I laughed every time he came up. I can't wait to see Zaphod in movie form too. I hear he steals the show.

Dylflon
04-29-2005, 08:52 PM
In answer to any future questions:

GameMaster
04-29-2005, 09:16 PM
Why read the book when watching the movie is so much easier and enjoyable?

Nope, that didn't answer my question. Subtle jokes and hints won't work with me. :nono:

In responce to my question, I won't read the book, I'll just see the movie.

Dylflon
04-29-2005, 11:07 PM
Why read the book when watching the movie is so much easier and enjoyable?

Nope, that didn't answer my question. Subtle jokes and hints won't work with me. :nono:

In responce to my question, I won't read the book, I'll just see the movie.

You'll get the joke once you see the movie

P.S. I just constructed a quote within a quote. Mind blowing!

Dylflon
04-29-2005, 11:12 PM

Happydude
04-30-2005, 12:44 AM
thats...quite enough there Dylflon.

and yes, 42 sounds about right...

Acebot44
04-30-2005, 01:11 AM
Here's a link to the HGTTG soundtrack and guide entries:

~o0O0o~
~o0O (http://www.jonrhien.com/hitchhikersoundtrack.rar)0o~
~o0O0o~

The server has a 20gb a day bandwith limit so if it says error, try again at midnight pacific time.

Seth
04-30-2005, 01:42 AM
I've read the books. Loved em.

Will see this weekend. yay

Also a fan of the office (brit version) so I was stoked when they cast martin freeman as arthur dent.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

DimHalo
04-30-2005, 10:48 AM
I saw the movie last night and it was hilarious! My favorite character was Marvin.

You'll need your towel for this trip.

Dyne
04-30-2005, 01:43 PM
OK gang. This was one of my favourite movies of all time. I loved it.

Spoiler time!

Ford I was worried about. But Mos Def pulled "weird" off quite well. A lot of focus was taken off him, I think.

Sam Rockwell STOLE the show to make up for the lack of Ford. He was fantastic.

My favourite character is a real tie between Trillian and Zaphod. I loved Zooey Deschanel in Elf, but man, she was even better in this movie. Just perfect. And so hot. The shower scene and the short shorts were fanservices, but oh so hot. I love her.

There better be a sequel. I mean, Zaphod and the others didn't even return the gun to John Malkovich's character. (sidenote: BLESS YOU.)

Eddie was a little disappointing and the Disney ending was pretty cheesy (as well as the Disney intro song, as hilarious as it was.) I also thought the whale moment was too awkward and that was a disappointment.

Marvin was pulled off great, as well as the Vogons. I'm glad Disney got behind this project because that gave them use of Jim Henson's studios.

Anyways, the overall feeling of this movie is uniqueness. There were some parts that were just so consistently funny you'd be laughing the entire way through.

End spoilers.

Highly recommended.

DimHalo
04-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Spoilers continuing...

My favourite character is a real tie between Trillian and Zaphod. I loved Zooey Deschanel in Elf, but man, she was even better in this movie. Just perfect. And so hot. The shower scene and the short shorts were fanservices, but oh so hot. I love her.

Yeah, I wish I was her... she is funny too.

the Disney ending was pretty cheesy (as well as the Disney intro song, as hilarious as it was.) I also thought the whale moment was too awkward and that was a disappointment.

Marvin was pulled off great, as well as the Vogons.

I really liked the intro song, it was delightfully random. It made so little sense, it was great.

What do you mean by "too awkward"?

Any Harry Potter fans would know what jeepnut seems to think is the reason I loved Marvin so much.

Dyne
04-30-2005, 02:46 PM
Another spoiler post!

Spoilers continuing...

Yeah, I wish I was her... she is funny too.

I really liked the intro song, it was delightfully random. It made so little sense, it was great.

What do you mean by "too awkward"?

I didn't like the voice acting, and the whole scene felt rushed. When I read the book I imagined it being a lot better. Let me re-enact.

OHWHATSTHI****TINGMYTHING...OH..IT'SWEIRD!I'LLCALLITWIND.
ANDITHINKI'LLCALLTHISBACKPARTMYTAIL.WHAT'STHIS
BIGROUNDTHINGCOMINGTOWARDSMEOHIT'SGROUND
IWONDERIFIT'LLBEMYFRIEND
*poof*

Way too rushed. It could have been done better.

Yeah, my girlfriend was flailing at everything Alan Rickman said. It was hilarious.

DimHalo
04-30-2005, 03:20 PM
Yeah, my girlfriend was flailing at everything Alan Rickman said. It was hilarious.

Must be a girl thing.

Dyne
04-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Must be a girl thing.

Yeah, it was the same thing during Love Actually.

I'm glad I didn't watch Harry Potter in that case. :sneaky:

Seth
05-01-2005, 06:06 AM
Just saw it.

It could have been so much more, but the film was still entertaining. So yeah, I definately recommend reading the books first.

Stray_Bullet
05-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Another spoiler post!

I didn't like the voice acting, and the whole scene felt rushed. When I read the book I imagined it being a lot better. Let me re-enact.

OHWHATSTHI****TINGMYTHING...OH..IT'SWEIRD!I'LLCALLITWIND.
ANDITHINKI'LLCALLTHISBACKPARTMYTAIL.WHAT'STHIS
BIGROUNDTHINGCOMINGTOWARDSMEOHIT'SGROUND
IWONDERIFIT'LLBEMYFRIEND
*poof*

Way too rushed. It could have been done better.

Huh... I actually thought the rushing of the whale's thoughts were hilarious. It made it even more ridiculously unrealistic, and made a mockery of human thought in such a short span of time. Besides... the whale was falling pretty fast.

I think my favorite part of the movie was when

*SPOILER*

They turned into yarn people. Good stuff!

*END SPOILER*

My favorite comedy of all time. Napoleon Dynamite can't touch this. Only Monty Python can compete, and the sketchy-ness of the Holy Grail is overshadowed by the amazing filming of HHG

Dylflon
05-02-2005, 12:38 AM
*SPOILER IN RESPONSE TO STRAY*

I missed the yarn people part because i went to get water. *sadness*

*end spoiler*

Joeiss
05-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Funny movie. I was really high when I saw it, and the beginning part with the dolphins tripped me out big time.

Ginkasa
05-02-2005, 05:18 PM
I, uh, hope you weren't driving...

/me shrugs and walks away

Acebot44
05-07-2005, 12:24 AM
I loved Zooey Deschanel in Elf, but man, she was even better in this movie. Just perfect. And so hot. The shower scene and the short shorts were fanservices, but oh so hot. I love her.

Check out the movie "Eulogy" with her, Ray Romano, and Hank Azaria in it. IMO, it's funnier than THGTTG.

Saw it today. It was okay. Thought it would have been funnier, but it was great in the beginning. Malkovich's scene got me totally out of it though and I just wanted it to end.

I had just seen "Sideways" the day before so this movie didnt compare.