PDA

View Full Version : Tiger, I wanna kiss you!

gekko
04-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Well I have just installed my shiny new copy of Mac OS X 10.4. I got ahold of the pre-release version right after the trade show where it was announced, like I always do, and it was real buggy, and the only thing that worked right was Safari RSS. But boy have things changed!

First things first, Safari RSS is awesome. The main thing, obviously, is RSS. It allows you to view it right in the browser, and also lets you know if the feed is on that page. You can search it, bookmark the search, have it notify you when new articles appear, and other things. But... you can also have the RSS tab send you to a different RSS reader. But Safari RSS is nice.

Then there's also the pr0n feature. Yep, Apple has developed a special feature for all your pr0n browsing experiences! Private browsing. Just pull down the Safari menu and select it, and it turns on. Then it doesn't store cookies, cache, history, auto-fill form info, and will automatically remove all items you downloaded from the download window. Perfect! When you're done, close out those windows, and de-activate!

Spotlight has just added 10 million more features, on top of the fact that it's insanely fast. But it's still indexing. :p

Dashboard is teh coolest! Amazed by the speed on the widgets though. For example, I downloaded a package tracker, does both UPS and FedEx. Entered the number, hit enter, and instantly it had my tracking information. There are some really useful widgets out there, some games. Personally, I love the fact that I can pull up a calculator and calendar without opening up any programs.

There's a lot of minor things too, which aren't really advertised, but nice to have. They added a dictionary, as a separate program, not part of Office or anything. Also, not instead of just installing language packs for the fonts and stuff, it does translation too, with a dashboard widget. That includes to asian languages.

Automater is looking a lot better. Apparently there's some really nice scripts out there. But I haven't used it yet, and don't know how much I will. But it's always nice to have.

Oh, and QuickTime 7's new codec is nice. The image quality when you go from a small video to full screen in unbelievable.

Just my initial impressions. Anyone else get it?

Oh, and new Dual 2.7ghz G5s, 16x SuperDrive (Dual Layer), pre-loaded with Tiger. 64-bit processing, and get this, an OS that actually supports it! Everything Windows promises you in the next 5 years, available now, except games ;)

Happydude
04-29-2005, 05:20 PM
pfft, no games, no thanks!

thatmariolover
04-29-2005, 06:05 PM
pfft, no games, no thanks!

Hey, it's got WoW, and that's all that matters to me.

Xantar
05-01-2005, 02:32 AM
Games? That's what I use my consoles for. Not that I've been doing very much of that lately.

The widgets are extremely impressive. The selection available just a few days after launch already blows me away. I keep looking through the DashboardWidgets site and finding more widgets I just have to get. Like a Wikipedia search application right on my desktop! And it looks like it will have lots of specialized stuff too, like a Widget for reading particular web comics on your desktop so that you don't have to start up your web browser every time you want to check it. There's already a Widget for reading Penny Arcade.

Spotlight looks pretty good, too, but I honestly don't hunt for files all that much. My life isn't that complicated yet. It did have my computer slowing down to a crawl at first while it indexed, though.

Quicktime's new codec and ability to play high definition video would be nice if my 400 Mhz G4 was able to handle it. Ditto with iChat AV's four way videoconferencing. More features that will have to wait for an upgrade, I suppose.