PDA

View Full Version : HDTV

Jason1
04-28-2005, 10:04 PM
Weve had an HDTV for nearly a year now, and have been putting off getting actually HTDV programming this whole time, mainly because we dont really know much about it. For instance, I used to be under the impression that the only way to get HDTV was through either a satellite or Cable providor, with an extra monthly fee. I now realise that isnt really the case, I now know that you can get it for free assuming you have the right type of antenna and an HDTV tuner. Our TV does not have a tuner built in, so I was hoping someone that knows more about it could clue me in as to what type of Antenna to get, and what type of tuner would work with it. It looks like some of the Antennas work from inside your house, that would be ideal.

Teuthida
04-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Conan just switched to HDTV. Now the screen is even smaller on my 13" TV. F*ck 16X9.

gekko
04-28-2005, 10:20 PM
You generally will need an HDTV tuner no matter what.

As far as I know, HDTV signals are picked up just like any other air signal. But if you're paying that kind of cash for HDTV, I'd recommend going with digital cable or a satellite. I know some cable companies will rent you out a HDTV box (or possibly give you a digital cable box with one built-in). There are some sat receivers that pick up the signal as well.

I'm not getting it until everything becomes standardized and they start building it into the TVs. Not worth the hassle.

Jason1
04-28-2005, 10:42 PM
As far as I know, HDTV signals are picked up just like any other air signal.

Yea, but you need a special type of antenna to pick them up right?

gekko
04-28-2005, 10:48 PM
I thought you just needed the HD receiver.

Stonecutter
04-28-2005, 11:40 PM
Not worth the hassle.

Oh YES it most defiantly is.

Yes you can pick up HD with just an antenna, but you've got to have someone near you pumping out an HD signal. I'm guessing that you don't have much of that out in bumble**** ;)

INHD, the premiums (HBO, Starz, etc), ESPN and Fox tv have the best HD signals. WGN's is really good too. ABC's is way better than it was 6 months ago. CBS (big shock :rolleyes: ) and NBC both have ****ty HD. I know with Comcast the HD package is only like 4.99 on top of what we're already paying and that gets us ESPNHD, TNTHD (added like 3 days ago) local ABC, NBC, PBS CBS, and FOX HD, INHD, INHD2 (comcast's HD channels, they mostly show concerts, nature stuff which looks un****ingbelieveable but gets boring after like 10 minutes and San Diego Padres/Baltimore Orioles/Toronto Blue Jays baseball and random NBA games.) and Discovery HD Theater. If you subscribe to HBO, Showtime, Cinemax or Starz you will get one extra HD channel for each network which shows the main east coast feed of that station in HD.

Crash
04-29-2005, 01:43 AM
We have HDTV here and lemme tell you, it doesn't look as good as those loops that they put at Best Buy/Circuit City... dont get me wrong, it looks much better than regular tv, but personally, I'm cancelling it after the free trial ends. It is not that great dont worry about it.

I have Dish HDTV with discover hd, hdnet, espn hd and a few other, and I am not impressed, dont get it!!!!

You'll need a good antennae (100 bux)
and an HD receiver box (399)

DONT DO IT, first check out a "live" HDTV at best buy and compare to their running loop. night and day difference, and not for the good.

Stonecutter
04-29-2005, 07:35 PM
We have HDTV here and lemme tell you, it doesn't look as good as those loops that they put at Best Buy/Circuit City... dont get me wrong, it looks much better than regular tv, but personally, I'm cancelling it after the free trial ends. It is not that great dont worry about it.

I have Dish HDTV with discover hd, hdnet, espn hd and a few other, and I am not impressed, dont get it!!!!

You'll need a good antennae (100 bux)
and an HD receiver box (399)

DONT DO IT, first check out a "live" HDTV at best buy and compare to their running loop. night and day difference, and not for the good.
Shut up! You're high!

I dunno if it looks as good as the loop in best buy but actual HDTV looks about 1000 times better than standard broadcast TV.