PDA

View Full Version : Couple Taking Care of Cat Allegedly Eat It

GameMaster
04-20-2005, 11:39 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0418cooked-cat18-ON.html

Canadian Press
Apr. 18, 2005 05:20 PM

WINDSOR, Ont. - A woman who left her home in the temporary care of a couple returned to make a gruesome discovery in the refrigerator: a pot containing the remains of what appeared to be a cooked cat.

"It is strange, there is no question about it," Windsor police Staff Sgt. Ed McNorton said Monday about the alleged killing and eating of the pet. "We've seen animal abuse before ... but nothing like this."

Officers were called to a west-end duplex Sunday night by a woman who had left her apartment in the care of a 24-year-old man and an 18-year-old woman.
advertisement

The tenant came home to find the place abandoned and in disarray. Then she looked in the fridge.

"It was absolutely disgusting, I couldn't believe it," said neighbor Sherry Hughes, who entered the apartment and saw the animal's remains.

Police suspect it's all that's left of Prowler, who lived with the Hughes family and went missing less than a week earlier.

"It's very upsetting, very, very heartbreaking," said Hughes, adding her children and grandmother are extremely distraught.

Flyers of the missing cat remained posted on utility poles in the area Monday.

"Even the bums in downtown Windsor don't lower themselves to that," said Jen Birdgen, whose family lives in the adjoining duplex unit.

The act of eating an animal isn't illegal, said John Roushorne, general manager of the Windsor-Essex County Humane Society, but how it got into the pot is an entirely different matter.

McNorton said police believe the animal was killed in the bathtub and then hung from the showerhead.

The couple that lived temporarily in the house were interviewed by detectives Monday morning and released pending further investigation.

McNorton said police could lay unlawful killing of an animal charges, a summary offence punishable by up to six months jail and or a $2,000 fine.

Roushorne said if cruelty can be proven, more severe penalties can be sought independently by the humane society.

Such sad and infuriating news. :( I hate animal cruelty. :mad:

If you were left alone in a room with the couple who killed the cat, what would you do to them?

Swan
04-21-2005, 12:08 AM
I'd eat them back....

No, not really. I would give them a stern talking to, and have protection.

Happydude
04-21-2005, 12:06 PM
ewwwww...

and i wouldn't want to be ina room with them...but if i was forced into the room, i would ask them WTF they were thinking...

MuGen
04-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Well I was, as many have called me, 'go bruce lee on their ass.'

I've taken 5 years of Karate and 1 year Shotokan with my uncle.... so if anything like that happened I've serve their asses with a big ass whoopin.

Perfect Stu
04-21-2005, 01:30 PM
If you were left alone in a room with the couple who killed the cat, what would you do to them?

Id probably beat them.

Change 'cat' with 'dog', and my answer would be murder-suicide. I'd have to kill them, but I'm far too beautiful to go to jail.

Dyne
04-21-2005, 03:54 PM
I've taken 5 years of Karate and 1 year Shotokan with my uncle.... so if anything like that happened I've serve their asses with a big ass whoopin.

And despite all that training, you never were forced to recite affirmations clearly stating Karate should only be used in defense of yourself, your loved ones, and your country?

You would beat two people up with a "big ass whooping" just because they ate a cat?

6 years better have taught you that karate is not for beating people up.

Ginkasa
04-21-2005, 04:36 PM
You know, if the couple had eaten someone's cow (or pig or chicken or turkey), I'd doubt it'd be such as big of a deal...

/me shrugs and walks away

Blackmane
04-21-2005, 04:58 PM
You know, if the couple had eaten someone's cow (or pig or chicken or turkey), I'd doubt it'd be such as big of a deal...

* Link1130 shrugs and walks away

That is a highly different situation. Wherein the animal in this instance is used almost primarily for a domestic partner, a cow/pig/turkey/chicken is almost exclusively used as a source of human sustenance. Even if said couple did have a cat/pig/turkey/chicken in use at their residence primarily as a domestic pet and said housesitters did in fact consume the domestic pet, such an act would not have generated a significant amount of media attention because such a pet is commonly used for the sustenance of humans, especially Americans, wherein a common domestic household cat is not known for such uses.

Ginkasa
04-21-2005, 05:24 PM
I can understand a little bit of disgust, but eating a cat is no more animal abuse than eating a cow/pig/chicken/turkey.

/me shrugs and walks away

Teuthida
04-21-2005, 05:56 PM
Well, a pig is closer to a dog in personality and intelligence than a cat is. Turkeys are dumb animals...but we shouldn't hold that against them. I'm pretty fond of chickens. Dunno if I ever mentioned Afro Chicken here. Living in NYC and having a neighbor with a yard full of exotic chickens kinda makes them all the more special. And in class we hatched little chicks, and they're just so cute you wanna eat em like little fuzzy McNuggets that peck on the way down...

My friend's father used to catch stray cats and cook them...including ones he found with collars...I don't see this friend anymore...

GameMaster
04-21-2005, 06:46 PM
My friend's father used to catch stray cats and cook them...including ones he found with collars...I don't see this friend anymore...

Is it because the friend has been consumed or common sense told you to run and never look back? :lol:

Teuthida
04-21-2005, 06:58 PM
That and hacking into AOL (back went I naive about the internet) and almost getting me in trouble by them, threatening my life, and other such things. Yes, a supreme hacker who dressed like he belonged in the CIA with a black suit and sunglasses (every single day) with a cat-eating father...the people I associate with...*sigh*

Typhoid
04-21-2005, 07:09 PM
In a way I agree that its no more harsh than eating another animal, because animals are just that. Animals. Would it be different if it was a cat bred for eating purposes?

Im sure if this was a domestic cow or pig, it would be no different than eating a normal cow or pig. So just because it is a cat, its different? Im not trying to be an ass, but animals are just animals. Survival of the fittest. This cat, obviously, wasn't in the "fittest" catagory.

But, on the other hand, it is f*cking sick and disgusting. Even though is aid animals are animals, I cant see anyone bringing themself low enough to kill, and cook a cat.

jeepnut
04-21-2005, 07:29 PM
All this conversation about how it shouldn't matter because it was an animal is all fine and dandy but it misses the main point...

it wasn't their cat to eat in the first place.

Swan
04-21-2005, 10:09 PM
Would it be ok then if it was their cat?

jeepnut
04-22-2005, 01:29 AM
That's a different story entirely. That goes into a debate of what exactly animal cruelty is. Is it cruel to kill an animal and eat it or only cruel if you cause the animal a lot of pain in the process?