PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Fetus

GameMaster
04-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Harlequin type ichthyosis, the most severe form of congenital ichthyosis, is characterized by a thickening of the keratin layer in fetal skin. The afflicted child is born not with skin, but massive, diamond-shaped scales. As well, the eyes, ears, mouth, and other appendages can be abnormally contracted. The scaly armor limits the child's movement, and because it is cracked where normal skin would fold, it is useless for skin's primary function -- protection. Bacteria and other contaminants easily pass into the cracks and can cause lethal infections.

The term comes from both the baby's facial expression and the diamond-shaped pattern of the scales (resembling the costume of a arlecchino), which are caused by severe hyperkeratosis. Seventeenth century entertainers known as jesters, or harlequins, wore costumes with diamond patterns on them, as well as a particular style of face paint. The features of the harlequin fetus resemble this stylized makeup, and their faces are often pulled tight into grim parodies of a clown's smile.

http://asylumeclectica.com/malady/archives/harlequin.htm

http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath=journals/ijpn/vol2n1/harlequin.xml

Not for sensitive eyes or stomachs.

Acebot44
04-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Saw a few cases of this a long while ago. I also read an article of a boy who lived with the disease up till now and he's already 18. His skins purple because of the shell that grew around him and he needs to lotion up constantly in order to stay mobile.

MuGen
04-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Oh god those images were disturbing.... The platelike shell around the babies remind me of GAARA OF THE DESERT, if anyone knows....

Typhoid
04-20-2005, 05:24 PM
There was a small penis, undescended testes, and a rudimentary scrotum.

Poor guy.

Anyways, not to joke around, but to some extent, it doesnt even look real. When you look at the pictures, it just looks like a bad 50's horror creation or something.

I would like to see what someone living with the condition describes it as, and what they look like.

BlueFire
04-20-2005, 09:17 PM
lolol I've seen these before

Happydude
04-21-2005, 02:08 PM
lolol I've seen these before :eek3:

that is disturbing...what causes this condition though? and how rare is it? because this is the first time i heard of it

Blackmane
04-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Wow, that is disturbing. I could not imagine having to live like that.

MuGen
04-21-2005, 05:07 PM
How rare is it? It occurs once every 300,000 births or so...

And you can't live with it..... births with that defect usually die within a day or even minutes, if you read the article.