PDA

View Full Version : Hauntings at UTA

Neo
04-20-2005, 02:47 PM
http://www.theshorthorn.com/archive/2005/spring/05-apr-19/n041905-04.html

There are many things that go bump in the night.

At UTA, it’s a little girl.

In July of 2000, something strange happened to journalism alumnus Jason Hoskins. At the time, he was The Shorthorn editor in chief and had stayed late to finish his duties.

He had positioned himself in front of the two security monitors, which covered the back and front entrance of the large office space. He said he was weary but noticed something at the rear entrance monitor.

“I chalked it up to the fact that I was just tired,” Hoskins said.

It wasn’t something that alarmed him, but he didn’t think on it for very long until later that summer, when it happened again.

“I was in the same spot, and I thought I saw a little girl at the front door,” he said.

He said she looked like an 8-year-old character from “Little House on the Prairie.”

Hoskins said he still had work to do and opted to just move away from the monitors so that he wouldn’t have to deal with anything unexplainable.

While in the bathroom, he said he heard the office’s front door slam. But Hoskins was the only one in the office and had been for some time.

“I saw something just out of the corner of my eye walk by the main desk,” he said. “At that point, I decided to just get up and leave.”

Hoskins said he never saw anything again and dismissed the apparitions until former Shorthorn photographer Billy Smith, who now works for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, had a similar experience.

“As soon as Billy described it,” Hoskins said. “I began to realize he saw the same thing I had.”

He said he’s not a ghost fanatic but does believe they both saw something.

On the other side of campus, in the Sigma Chi fraternity house, there’s the story of Mary.

Undeclared sophomore Brandon Steadman said he and two fraternity brothers saw the little girl, who got the name before they joined, at the end of a dark hall in February 2004.

It was 1 a.m. and they were talking in the second-floor hallway when they saw her. She wore a white dress and had brown hair, which covered her face, and she sat there with her face in her hands, he said.

“It wasn’t scary,” Steadman said. “It was just freaky,”

He said they briefly went into a nearby room to laugh it off and talk about other things to get the vision off of their minds, but when they came back into the hall she was still there.

“I saw a very distinct image of a little girl,” he said. “But when my brother turned on the lights, she was gone.”

Steadman said she hasn’t been seen since but that there have been plenty of strange things that continue to go on in the house that was built in 1988.

He said he heard about brothers that have left their rooms with all the lights off and the door locked, and returned to find the lights, TV and radio on. He said radios sometimes turn on in the middle of the night without any reason but that this was the first time he had experienced seeing the ghost.

“There are all sorts of strange things that happen there,” he said.

GameMaster
04-20-2005, 04:20 PM
I would scream in agonizing terror if there was a ghostly child standing with me in a lone building.

MuGen
04-20-2005, 04:48 PM
I'd probably just do the same thing the other guy did.... just up and left...and of course on my way... I do what everyone tells you not to..... turn around and look back...