PDA

View Full Version : No Revolution at E3 (time for a throat slitting...a rant)

Teuthida
04-19-2005, 10:31 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=58675

Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 will go on show at the event, but reports from Japan say the Nintendo Revolution will remain under wraps. There'll be a few rolling demos of games currently in development, but no console and no revolutionary controller on display.

Die Nintendo...just die.

So why the decision to stay out of the limelight? Well, it seems that Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata is worried about rivals nicking all his best ideas at this early stage. That's how revolutionary the new console is, apparently... and also the exact same line Nintendo used to avoid showing Mario 128 at a previous E3.

Nintendo is really really pissing me off. If BOTH Microsoft and Sony are unveiling their consoles why would Nintendo even have the slightest ounce of fear that their idea might be stolen? The systems are final. Would Sony really say "Ooh, Nintendo has a good idea there. Let's modify PS3 while the press takes a bathroom break." And Mario 128 better be f*cking amazing to keep it under wraps for so many years. If it's another waterpack I'm gonna drown some puppies...does Nintendogs have that as an option?

So what exactly can we expect to see on the Nintendo stand? Well, most of the space will be devoted to promoting the new Nintendo Online service. It'll be demonstrated using the DS, and it's thought that the Revolution could have a wireless router capability for hooking up the handheld to the internet. All this will be explained at the publisher's May 17 conference.

Well, I suppose this is a step up from a focus on connectivity. I still have nightmares from those times. Only some warm milk and the soothing sounds of Animal Crossing jibberish can allow me to fall back to sleep once more.

Other stuff on show will include the new Zelda game - we're promised that a playable demo will be available. Plus Pokémon XD for GameCube, Emerald for GBA and Diamond and Pearl for DS - the latter two featuring online functionality.

Nintendo breaks promises...and dreams...and hopes... They wanna be so damn innovative yet they release Pokémon game after Pokémon game with hardly any upgrades (and those that are there suck...they just do...really.) They milk and milk and milk (Mario in NBA Street is a sign of the apocalypse) and then say something completely different. What Nintendo does, and what comes out of Iwata's mouth do not correspond.

No one gives a damn about Revolution...and fewer even know about it. Does Nintendo just expect to unveil it a year after Microsoft and Sony show theirs...and months after Xbox 360 is out on the market? How long will the shrooms inhibit their judgement? Has anyone seen one non-gaming news media source that even gives a hint that Nintendo has something coming? A year ago they shrugged it off that Nintendo would have something. Now, nada. Who cares? Just poor saps like myself...

*Yamauchi is seen dangling puppet strings in a darkened room...laughing...oh how he laughs...

Dyne
04-19-2005, 10:52 PM
If the whole "no-line" scheme for the DS turns out well, I will still be happy.

And Zelda! Oh, Zelda. Zelda will be orgasmic in it's own right.

Teuthida
04-19-2005, 10:55 PM
^ That's how they manage to keep loyal customers. Bang out a Zelda game every couple of years. If they don't screw that up they'll live forever... To make a Batman reference: Nintendo is Ra's Al Ghul, and Zelda is the Lazarus Pit.

KillerGremlin
04-19-2005, 10:57 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Nintendo is going to be out of the console business within the next two generations. Maybe three. MAYBE. Nintendo is so f*cking stupid, their tactics are moronic....here is this great company with loads of potential, and here they are sitting in hot water, again.

Unless of course the Revolution really is a revolution, and the controller is the greatest thing to grasp besides my wang. And Nintendo regains its third party support. Then I'll be blown away, and proven wrong, regarding Nintendo anyway, for the first time in a long while.

Still...playable Zelda demo at E3 and DS games....can't really ask for much more. And what with the new Microsoft and Sony consoles there, one really shouldn't be complaining. Not that it matters much to me, I doubt I'll be picking up a next-gen console, not for a while anyway.

Still, you can't force a revolution. I've stood by Nintendo for a while, and I've put up with a lot of their crap, and this move doesn't totally surprise me, but most anticipation leads to disapointment. *coughdoom3cough* *coughhalo2cough*

I just pity the poor Nintendo fans, especially the ones waiting with their wallets open, waiting to get a piece of the "revolutionary" revolution. Nintendo needs to get with the program, because they really only have one or two more punches left before they turn into Sega, or get bought out by big brother Sony or Microsoft.

GameMaster
04-20-2005, 12:36 AM
This a good move for Nintendo. They haven't finished constructing the Revolution let alone the prototype. And since Nintendo is so powerful and admired, the DS is MORE than enough to keep PS3 and Xbox 360 at bay. In fact, I think its safe to say that if Project Revolution and DS were both present at this E3, tumbleweeds and the sound of crickets would be present at both the Playstation and Xbox stations.

Fellow gamers, take the path less traveled and see the innovation behind Nintendo's decision. An honorable company has turned down the flash of media and fame in order to bring a more satisfying and quality product to it loyal followers.

Sure, Microsoft's online system is likely to entertain for a year or two. And Sony's PS3 will appease those looking for some visual pleasure during a rainy day.

But can you look an adult in the eyes and tell them with a golden sincerity that in 18 years when you bring that system out of it's dusty box, that a smile a mile wide and flood of marvellous memories will resurface to your face, heart, and mind?

No. You can't.

And that's because these systems lack the one thing Nintendo places at the core of all it's systems; a heart.

GTA 4, Halo, San Andreas, Splinter Cell...these complex heaps of flashy code can never top the simple and pure joy of booting up the 1986 Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Bros.

If there is one fact of time that leaves no room for argument or speculation, it's that history repeats itself. The wonders and awe that NES blessed us with have been passed down from new console to new console.

Do not allow the clouds of temptation and deception that PS2 and Xbox have cast upon us to cause you to question your faith in the glorious light of Nintendo. The Gamecube was no less a wonder than its forefathers. Its shining asset, innovation, was largely tainted and rejected due to the illusions projected by competing consoles.

Graphics alone cannot serve as a foundation for games. Our more easily swayed gamers will realize this in the coming generation. As Sony and Microsoft continue to pump out their picturesque features, gamers will be left feeling hungry for something more. Something heartfelt. Something with a soul. Project Revolution will be the resolution to their empty voids. Gamers will once again join their hands together in unity under one sun. Competitors who desired nothing more than money and fame will be forced to retire in the shadows of shame and greed.

I look forward to joining together with all of you on this day of celebration as we welcome in our new shepherd, especially those who will finally be coming back home to rejoin the herd from which you strayed years ago.

Stray_Bullet
04-20-2005, 12:44 AM
GTA 4, Halo, San Andreas, Splinter Cell...these complex heaps of flashy code can never top the simple and pure joy of booting up the 1986 Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Bros.

If you like old games, play old games. New "old" games should not be made. New games should be made. A new Zelda will not be like the 1986 Zelda.

I'm sorry man... I've heard you say some crazy stuff, but I believe you're serious on this one. :unsure:.

DeathsHand
04-20-2005, 01:10 AM
If you like old games, play old games. New "old" games should not be made. New games should be made. A new Zelda will not be like the 1986 Zelda.

I'm sorry man... I've heard you say some crazy stuff, but I believe you're serious on this one. :unsure:.

While the market should never be overrun with new games made to play like their oldschool counterparts, there should be room for one to pop up now and then...

Contra: Shattered Soldier, Gradius V... 2 good examples of how a game can still follow the simple oldschool gameplay with a nice facelift and still be a good, new experience... But they're really the only two I can think of that have been released recently... And they were both made by Konami :p

Anywho, Revolution not at E3... I think anyway you slice it, it's not positive for Nintendo or their anxious fans... Although I don't think it necesarily dooms Nintendo and their new console...

I think next-gen will go much like this one, but with Microsoft possibly taking quite a bit more of Sony's marketshare (in the US at least)... And Nintendo back in third with another console that will probably still be more successul than Xbox2 in Japan, and fans will eat up and enjoy...

dropCGCF
04-20-2005, 02:30 AM
And that's because these systems lack the one thing Nintendo places at the core of all it's systems; a heart.

Graphics alone cannot serve as a foundation for games.

Thank you.

Canyarion
04-20-2005, 03:21 AM
I don't think Nintendo doesn't want to reveal it because they're afraid others might steal it, but because they haven't finished their concept. Possibly haven't even picked one, like some months ago.
:(

Bond
04-20-2005, 07:49 AM
^ That's how they manage to keep loyal customers. Bang out a Zelda game every couple of years. If they don't screw that up they'll live forever... To make a Batman reference: Nintendo is Ra's Al Ghul, and Zelda is the Lazarus Pit.
You have seen the light.

Null
04-20-2005, 09:22 AM
yea. Nintendo is, and has been for some time, really really bad at the public relations. they dont give people what they want, they dont tell em what they want to hear, they hide everything for no reason. and every year after year its the same thing. 'we dont want others to steal our ideas' was there anything on the GC that others might have wanted to steal?? i see no reason why they couldnt of displayed that when the others were displayed at the beginning of this gen. now we're at it again.

And honestly, the most innovative thing i've seen for the next gen, which may or may not be true, is the possibility of the MS controller having a track ball. and if that is the real MS controller, and it is indeed a trackball, then hats off to MS for having the balls to show people. at an E3 thats going to be exploding with new things and excitment, nintendos going to show DS and other things we've seen before. Way to go nintendo!

DarkMaster
04-20-2005, 10:25 AM
What in the hell are you talking about? A "heart"? Is this suppose to be something that makes good games? Or do you have to invent a reason to continue worshipping a company?

You haven't even seen the new systems yet, and already you're praising Nintendo for next gen. You can't get anymore blind and biased than that.

Instead of trying to convert people to your idiotic Nintendo religion, how about you set an example and show that you are actually capable of a rational thought.

Dark Samurai
04-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Well, one thing that I've learned from Nintendo is, Patience, and patience is what I and many other Nintendo loyalists have. I believe that if you cant wait, then go somewhere else, as I'm sure most of the posters here have...

MuGen
04-20-2005, 11:14 AM
I would like nothing more than to join in on this parade. But I'm going to save it for when Nintendo actually DOES go out of business.

Nothing about their consoles or games are bad in a sense, but they truely are letting a lot of fans down by keeping the Revolution from an unveiling. Not only will they lose interest of fans, but they will lose hold as well.

I do believe Nintendo will resort to being just a handheld company. The only place Nintendo has a real strong hold of is Japan, because obviously their only competitor their is Sony.

But we live in NA and right now, Nintendo isn't doing a good job of anything really. Zelda games will always satisfy the Ningamer, but at some point HYPE is a good thing, and when you don't hype up your next-gen... people will turn to Xbox 360 and PS3....

Only a few people like GM and loyalists will follow Nintendo in their revelation, and it's not a bad thing... loyalty is always good, but Nintendo will slowly but surely lose a chunk of their fanbase, and only a few will remain only to be disappointed by what THEY call a Revolution of a console.

Null
04-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Well, one thing that I've learned from Nintendo is, Patience, and patience is what I and many other Nintendo loyalists have. I believe that if you cant wait, then go somewhere else, as I'm sure most of the posters here have...

i agree that to love nintendo is to have patience. patience for promises that never come. they keep you waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting, and if what your waiting for ever does come. it something that has been out already for a while if you just opened your eyes and looked elsewhere.

MuGen
04-20-2005, 11:29 AM
i agree that to love nintendo is to have patience. patience for promises that never come. they keep you waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting, and if what your waiting for ever does come. it something that has been out already for a while if you just opened your eyes and looked elsewhere.

I think the bottom line is that Nintendo loyalists fear change. Dark Samurai bought the Sony PSP and was surprised as to how much he played it and enjoyed it.

Loyalists will praise Nintendo and look forward to their promises of a revolution, and patiently wait. But it's also a bad habit, considering if some simple pleasures as gaming can be found elsewhere. They blame gamers for going elsewhere towards MS or Sony... but whose to blame? They got tired of waiting...

It's like waiting for one device, and others have one out that do the same thing, but waiting for that device because of it's brand. I admit, I found some enjoyment in the games I've played for the DS and the Gamecube, but that's me. Loyalists refuse to find any enjoyment in any other brand, because they pick at the top games of the month. PS2 and Xbox have a lot of great titles besides the top selling games, that are fun to play and not just picturesque.

No offense to Nintendo, but they are just going at this the wrong way. Iwata is insecure about his revolution concept and excuses that they might steal their ideas considering the PS3 and X360 are near completion and ready to be unveiled.

Sony has already indulged in their focused CELL processor and have already publicized it to the max.......... And Iwata thinks that his ideas will be stolen this late in the game?

Excuses... I see them as.... as most replies here agree.

Neo
04-20-2005, 11:41 AM
And since Nintendo is so powerful and admired, the DS is MORE than enough to keep PS3 and Xbox 360 at bay.

I'm sorry, what was that? I got distracted by the giant cloud of crack smoke eminating from your direction.

MuGen
04-20-2005, 12:15 PM
And since Nintendo is so powerful and admired, the DS is MORE than enough to keep PS3 and Xbox 360 at bay.

I'm sorry but.... the DS isn't enough to keep even the PSP at bay...

Dark Samurai
04-20-2005, 12:56 PM
I'm sorry but.... the DS isn't enough to keep even the PSP at bay...

Uhh no... Polarium own all... [/endfanboyism!]

To be honest I'm thinking of selling the PSP, just because it bores me now... (and that is not a fanboy statement...)

jeepnut
04-20-2005, 01:20 PM
No offense to Nintendo, but they are just going at this the wrong way. Iwata is insecure about his revolution concept and excuses that they might steal their ideas considering the PS3 and X360 are near completion and ready to be unveiled.

Sony has already indulged in their focused CELL processor and have already publicized it to the max.......... And Iwata thinks that his ideas will be stolen this late in the game?

Excuses... I see them as.... as most replies here agree.

Maybe Nintendo is waiting because they wish to steal ideas from Sony and MS. That would be the only valid reason to hide your console when the other two have pretty much been finalized. That or it's nowhere near ready yet.

Null
04-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Maybe Nintendo is waiting because they wish to steal ideas from Sony and MS. That would be the only valid reason to hide your console when the other two have pretty much been finalized. That or it's nowhere near ready yet.

this is very much a possibility, infact i've often wondered about that myself each console gen. Nintendo always hides thier stuff and waits. Perhaps they are trying to see what thier competitors have, then try to deal with it or make something they believe to be better after seeing thiers.

MuGen
04-20-2005, 01:40 PM
To be honest I'm thinking of selling the PSP, just because it bores me now... (and that is not a fanboy statement...)

I can only see that as a fanboy statement. In light of the news and how everyone is reacting, your going to sell your only Sony product to show your loyalty.

I mean... I bought my PSP for the long haul, for portable gaming whenever I go somewhere and will always have new games coming out for it. I wouldn't waste my money and sell it just because you've played out the games you have for it.

Just like you said... you need patience correct? PSP has so many more games out there other than Untold, Dark, and Ridge, and THUG. I know many people who are addicted to Lumines and Mercury.

If you sell your PSP, cuz it's boring now, then you've lost all sight of what patience means... and the idea of hypocrisy has long since encumbered your senses.

Dark Samurai
04-20-2005, 01:53 PM
I can only see that as a fanboy statement. In light of the news and how everyone is reacting, your going to sell your only Sony product to show your loyalty.

I mean... I bought my PSP for the long haul, for portable gaming whenever I go somewhere and will always have new games coming out for it. I wouldn't waste my money and sell it just because you've played out the games you have for it.

Just like you said... you need patience correct? PSP has so many more games out there other than Untold, Dark, and Ridge, and THUG. I know many people who are addicted to Lumines and Mercury.

If you sell your PSP, cuz it's boring now, then you've lost all sight of what patience means... and the idea of hypocrisy has long since encumbered your senses.

Most of those titles you mentioned, I have and beaten. I've played Lumines, and thought it was boring... Mercury looks promising but what other game than "GTA PSP" is there that will help out in this decision.

Besides my patience is with Nintendo, not Sony... Sony is just Hititandquitit for me...

MuGen
04-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Most of those titles you mentioned, I have and beaten. I've played Lumines, and thought it was boring... Mercury looks promising but what other game than "GTA PSP" is there that will help out in this decision.

Besides my patience is with Nintendo, not Sony... Sony is just Hititandquitit for me...

Although that statement may seem funny at first... you shelled out $250 for that hardware... so do what you will with it.

in the end ... even if it is just Hit it and Quit it... you spent good money on it.

There are some products I've bought and only used once, but for the purpose of value... I keep it.

Dark Samurai
04-20-2005, 02:23 PM
There are some products I've bought and only used once, but for the purpose of value... I keep it.

That is something that I can agree upon...

MuGen
04-20-2005, 03:04 PM
That is something that I can agree upon...

So therefore your selling your PSP cuz you'ved played out THUG and Ridge?

Teuthida
04-20-2005, 03:14 PM
It makes perfect sense now.

When I get a new idea for something I like to get it out there quick before someone else thinks it up, so it will be known that I was the originator of the idea (e.g. Kill Bullet Bill (http://www.deviantart.com/view/9163323/)). Nintendo thinks the opposite way, and is probably afraid someone will not only copy it but make it better. So why not show Revolution after Microsoft and Sony already unveils theirs? TRACKBALL! They were gonna put a trackball on their controller but Microsoft went ahead a showed it first. Now they're scrambling, trying to create some new function that would appear revolutionary. Eh, probably not, but something like that could happen. It really makes no sense to withhold ideas and concepts, not without little hints. Even the ultra secret Segway project supplied hints...though no one guessed it would turn out how it did. Hype is a powerful marketing device. Nintendo is too backward to realize that. They rather strap a GameCube to some poor fool and have them demonstrate it on the street.

MuGen
04-20-2005, 03:39 PM
I like that pun towards how they demo'ed the PSP on it's Metreon launch at the end of your paragraph there.

I agree with you 100%..... hype although underrated, plays a huge role in marketing.

NOW people who were looking forward to E3 for the NINREV will now look forward to the Ps3 and the X360, hearing this news.

The hype tide has turned.

Teuthida
04-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Didn't know they did that for the PSP. Was referring to the whole Nintendo Street Team thing that I despise. And to advertise DS, rather than blanket cities in ads like PSP has done, they're just going to a few colleges to once again demostrate it.

MuGen
04-20-2005, 03:53 PM
They are advertising the PSP to hell because they are targeting a wide array of people. I was watchin the Metreon Launch party for the PSP and they had girls, guys, men, women, old men, old women.... basically covering the gene pool.

KillerGremlin
04-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Regarding hype, I think I feel more hyped up about something when I see it but I can't have it. If you want to generate anticipation, show the console but don't let me get my hands on it! Hell, I'm going to see the new Microsoft and Sony consoles, and I'm going to get hyped up to play them. And by that time, I'm not even going to be remotely interested in Nintendo. I already have a DS, and I have no hype for that. Sure, I'll check out the DS games from E3, but I'll be doing that after I check out all the new stuff. Talk about risky logic on Nintendo's part.

Wonder how it will affect sales.

MuGen
04-20-2005, 04:15 PM
The only way Nintendo can survive this is that, they unveil the Revolution not too long after E3 if not at E3.

Teuthida
04-20-2005, 04:19 PM
They could surprize us all and hold a SpaceWorld. I think I could partially forgive them if they pulled that out of their hat.

Dark Samurai
04-20-2005, 04:55 PM
They could surprize us all and hold a SpaceWorld. I think I could partially forgive them if they pulled that out of their hat.

Agreed...

MuGen
04-20-2005, 05:06 PM
http://www.closeoutsolution.com/Linksick.jpg

BlueFire
04-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Not like I actually follow gaming news anymore, but I'm almost positive that someone said we'd see the Revolution at E3.. but then again, i don't pay much attention :P

jeepnut
04-20-2005, 06:52 PM
That used to be the case, but it seems that as of late Nintendo has changed their mind.

GameMaster
04-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Does the Revolution's presence at E3 affect any standard gamer's decision to buy one?

Answer: Nope.

Therefore, it can be stated that it does not matter at all whether Revolution or any console appears at E3. It wouldn't matter if anything was at E3. It's a 100% obligation-free event for companies to preview their games and systems. Not a mandatory show. And all the droning over what will and won't be there is quite sickening. If I was the owner of E3, I would cancel it for 100 years as a penalty for the incessant whining.

Now sit down!

Null
04-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Does the Revolution's presence at E3 affect any Nintendo Fanboy's decision to buy one?

Answer: Nope.

Fixed it for ya! :D

Teuthida
04-20-2005, 07:58 PM
^ Because chances are, if you're not a fanboy already you aren't gonna give the Revolution a chance in hell...and I don't blame you...how would you even know about it?

And it might not matter to gamers...but think of developers...I can't see Nintendo getting much if any 3rd party support this coming gen...that is if Revolution is really the faboo that Nintendo leads others to believe that they themselves might think it is...

Solid Snake
04-20-2005, 08:34 PM
First off the Revolution will not be at E3, but it's not like they aren't going to show anything. If they show demos it could cause a lot of hype just like the unplayable version of Halo 2 at E3 2004 did. We will also know somewhat of how revolutionary it will be from a game demo. We will now if it is going to be an augmented reality machine (doubt it).

I could realy care less who wins at E3, I will be buying a console for good games that are made for it, not because it says Nintendo or Sony on it.

Jonbo298
04-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Bad decision for Nintendo. We've all heard the bullsh*t responses in the past of 'ZOMG, our technology is SO UBER that we must keep it under wraps because of fear our competitors will steal the ideas'. *cough* Super Mario Sunshine? What company has f*cking stolen the water pack idea? NONE

Get your heads out of your ass Nintendo and fight the competition. Not cower in the corner and pull a Gollum going 'My preciousssss' and not showing it to anyone else or whatever.

If Nintendo confirms little stuff with Revolution at E3, there are gonna be alot of pissed off gamers that will MOST DEFINITELY go 'F*ck Nintendo, if I dont know what Revolution is all about, I'm gonna go with the 2 companies that have told me what I want to buy that is sleek, awesome, and new'. Then developers will give Nintendo yet another cold shoulder for keeping so much BS under wraps for stupid assed fears of 'Competitors taking our ideas'. Grow some balls for once Nintendo and release everything to the public. Hype it to hell and back. Show people why they should choose Revolution over PS3 or Xbox 360.

KillerGremlin
04-20-2005, 10:47 PM
First off the Revolution will not be at E3, but it's not like they aren't going to show anything. If they show demos it could cause a lot of hype just like the unplayable version of Halo 2 at E3 2004 did.

Yeah....because sweet graphics is totaly revolutionary! Halo 2 blew up in Mircrosoft's face by the way. Go read some of the conspiracy threads regarding E3, Halo 2, and what was shown.

See, this all boils down to Nintendo forcing their revolution. If I don't see my revolution, then game demos mean little to nothing when I can see the same quality graphics and I can put them with a console. Minus the franchise titles, it's an interesting strategy on Nintendo's part.

gekko
04-20-2005, 11:43 PM
Whoa, slow down here folks. Do you honestly believe that announcing 3 consoles in the same day is going to help Nintendo out? Look at the facts: Sony has the large majority of the market, Microsoft is in 2nd (last time I checked at least, remember: Iraq) and has the first console to be released, Nintendo is in 3rd, and while Nintendo always seems to put on a good show, for the people who don't watch the pre-E3 shows live on the net, it doesn't mean much.

Sony and Microsoft can fight each other for magazine spreads and web space. Let it happen. All Nintendo needs to do is ensure the public that they can, and will be able to compete. By displaying a graphically-rich video and throwing around a few facts here and there about the console, they can do enough to keep people wondering about what they are hiding. Then, in a few months, when all the hype for Sony and Microsoft's new toys die down, they can reveal the Revolution, in a special press event where they have complete control. No competitors products interfering, no comparisons between which system stole the show. They get all the press, all the magazine covers, all the front page stories to themselves. People would have to be blind not to notice.

They just have to make sure they can follow up on the hype.

bobcat
04-21-2005, 06:44 AM
Whoa, slow down here folks. Do you honestly believe that announcing 3 consoles in the same day is going to help Nintendo out? Look at the facts: Sony has the large majority of the market, Microsoft is in 2nd (last time I checked at least, remember: Iraq) and has the first console to be released, Nintendo is in 3rd, and while Nintendo always seems to put on a good show, for the people who don't watch the pre-E3 shows live on the net, it doesn't mean much.

Sony and Microsoft can fight each other for magazine spreads and web space. Let it happen. All Nintendo needs to do is ensure the public that they can, and will be able to compete. By displaying a graphically-rich video and throwing around a few facts here and there about the console, they can do enough to keep people wondering about what they are hiding. Then, in a few months, when all the hype for Sony and Microsoft's new toys die down, they can reveal the Revolution, in a special press event where they have complete control. No competitors products interfering, no comparisons between which system stole the show. They get all the press, all the magazine covers, all the front page stories to themselves. People would have to be blind not to notice.

Exactly what he said........

Null
04-21-2005, 09:11 AM

hmm... that plan sounds kinda familar.
*tries to remember how well that strategy went*

thing is tho, it pisses people off when the other companies give people what they want to hear, and nintendo never seems to. and the more people nintendo pisses off, (be it for a valid reason, or a BS reason like not wanting people to steal ideas) the more people that begin to look elsewhere.

Dark Samurai
04-21-2005, 09:37 AM

Thats probably what Nintendo was planning to do anyway...

Thats what SpaceWorld's for... heheheh

Null
04-21-2005, 09:58 AM
thats if there even is a spaceworld, past couple years there hasnt been one has there?
Has there even been a spaceworld since 2001?

Anywho, even if there is one this year (which it doesnt seem like they do that show anymore). i have strong doubts that they'd show it then either. i think first showing of nevalution will be at E3 06

MuGen
04-21-2005, 11:26 AM
I don't know why so many of you guys are trying to justify their means of competing. They are NOT going to show the Revolution or even hint about it's concepts or aspects at E3. The way I see it, major fans of Nintendo are trying to justify their competitive edge by saying they will be showing snippets and footage of game demo's on the Revolution.

Right now... that means crap. Showing demo footage of Revolution games will mean nothing to press and gamers when they've got 2 totally capable consoles playing the same footage ON THE CONSOLE in the PS3 and X360. Both MS and Sony are making their consoles playable at E3, so showing game footage for the Revolution will do no justice to them not showing the Rev at all. So... that in terms of hype... goes out the window.

If I were press, and was watching game footage for all 3 consoles, and Nintendo Rev footage being played on a film strip.... I'd be turned off....The other 2 consoles at the moment are playing the footage on the hardware, showing it's full capability and not what is expected of the console.

Face it, the whole purpose of hype for E3 was to have a 3 way battle. But if Nintendo can't even compete with the hardware showings of E3, they will lose a lot of interest.

TheGame
04-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Woah, Dan and Jonbo sounding pissed at Nintendo in the same thread?! @_@

*gets another sign of how long he's been gone*

Anyway... Nintendo 'doing their own thing' hasn't worked before, and I don't expect it to work now. Them holding back is only a attempt at building up hype again. The people don't want hype, we want raw facts. If the 'revolution' is so small that other companies can steal their ideas this late in the process, what makes Nintendo think they won't just take the idea and introduce it to a bigger audience 6 months after all the systems come out?

Nintendo is lucky to have such good first party games (though they were dumbed down last gen), because that's the only reason people will stick with them. Gamecube's 3rd party support probably won't get any better next gen.