PDA

View Full Version : asexuality

Su-Yin
04-15-2005, 06:16 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/No-sex-please-Im-not-into-it/2005/04/15/1113509924438.html

this is something new to me...ive never came close nor heard of anyone being asexual
anyone here asexual or know anyone who is?

Let's talk about sex - or maybe not. For those who identify themselves as asexual, there's nothing quite as dull as the pleasures of the flesh, writes Deborah Smith
Like many young men, Michael enjoys cricket, parties and reading. But having sex, says the 22-year-old university student, is about as much fun as "watching paint dry".

Social pressure to date girls during his teens meant that he ended up having sexual relationships with half a dozen young women. "But it wasn't very fulfilling," he recalls. And three years ago he realised he did not want to have sex ever again.

Michael, from Launceston, well remembers the first time he put a label to his sexual orientation. Rumours were circulating that he was interested in men, because he had stopped dating girls. "Are you straight or gay?" a female friend asked him at a party. "I said, 'I'm neither. I'm asexual'," he recalls.

Michael may not be the rarity most would think. Some surveys of sexual behaviour indicate there could be almost as many people who are asexual as are gay. But in a society where sex is all pervasive, asexual people tend to be invisible.

This sexually inactive group could include people from happily celibate nuns to those who are too sick, poor or unattractive to form a relationship, and who do not want to pay for sex or have a casual fling. Others may fear intimacy or have been put off sex by repressive parental attitudes.

But the group is likely to include asexual people who simply don't want any sex, says Richters. "It seems clear to me there is a huge range in how interested people are in sex, from those who hardly have it to those who are biting the wall if they don't get it every day. Most are in the middle.".

KillerGremlin
04-15-2005, 06:42 PM
I've heard of asexuals before..although the term is more fitting in Biology class describing small micro organisms that reproduce with themselves.

5 entries found for asexual.
a·sex·u·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-sksh-l)
adj.
1. Having no evident sex or sex organs; sexless.
2. Relating to, produced by, or involving reproduction that occurs without the union of male and female gametes, as in binary fission or budding.
3. Lacking interest in or desire for sex.

However, seeing as how our society has no problem grouping everybody, asexual is a logical category. Although, we all know that no one is by definition asexual. People have a sex drive, and if you don't, there is something wrong with you, ie depression or mental health issues. Not having sex because you're ugly or something.....that's not really asexual. But, the definition works I suppose. Stupid media labeling things with fancy words. It's downright annoying.

DimHalo
04-15-2005, 06:48 PM
I had a couple of friends in high school who labeled themselves as asexual. One of them has since come out of the closet (he's gay). But in general, it is just that they had no interest in sex at all.

Typhoid
04-15-2005, 07:07 PM
But in general, it is just that they had no interest in sex at all.

But wouldnt Asexual mean you can reprodice another human being on your own?

Swan
04-15-2005, 07:19 PM
Smurfs are asexual.

bobcat
04-15-2005, 08:45 PM
yeh that's wot i thought :confused:

Dyne
04-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Asexual? Maybe it's just a percent of people who have a sense of humour, because that's damn funny.

Vampyr
04-15-2005, 08:59 PM

Look at killer gremlins definitions.

It means both.

And it would suck to be that way. And I agree with Killer...it's just not right. One of the fundamental characterstics of a species or living being is reproducing. If you don't want to do that, than you have some sort of disorder.

Yet it's amazing how it works...by not wanting to reproduce, you most likely won't, and thus your defective genes are slowly but surely removed from the human race, and can't be passed on.

Happydude
04-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Smurfs are asexual.
:lol:

these people are weird...i can't understand how they could not like sex :unsure:

/me shrugs

oh well...not my problem.

DeathsHand
04-15-2005, 11:04 PM
I've labeled myself as asexual before, but that's moreso half-jokingly because I just don't like people in general...

Dyne
04-15-2005, 11:26 PM
Speaking of which, whatever happened to toaster-sexuals.

Stray_Bullet
04-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Yet it's amazing how it works...by not wanting to reproduce, you most likely won't, and thus your defective genes are slowly but surely removed from the human race, and can't be passed on.

It may be a human trait, or it may be human choice.

Traits have an affect on decisions, but they do not solely determine them. "Asexuality," which shouldn't have the modern definition due to complications with clarity, will... "live."

Y'made a decent point, at least.

Swan
04-15-2005, 11:29 PM
:lol:

these people are weird...i can't understand how they could not like sex :unsure:

* Happydude shrugs

oh well...not my problem.

5 entries found for asexual.
a·sex·u·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-sksh-l)
adj.
1. Having no evident sex or sex organs; sexless.
2. Relating to, produced by, or involving reproduction that occurs without the union of male and female gametes, as in binary fission or budding.
3. Lacking interest in or desire for sex.

Technically smurfs can be categorized as asexual for all of these reasons.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to toaster-sexuals.
And whatever happened to the infamous trisexual?

Vampyr
04-15-2005, 11:57 PM
It may be a human trait, or it may be human choice.

Traits have an affect on decisions, but they do not solely determine them. "Asexuality," which shouldn't have the modern definition due to complications with clarity, will... "live."

Y'made a decent point, at least.

Human trait or human choice, that human is not working like a human should work.

Any human who never reproduces has effectively eliminted his genes from the human gene pool, taking care of the problem. I just always found that concept interesting.

Stray_Bullet
04-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Any human who never reproduces has effectively eliminted his genes from the human gene pool, taking care of the problem.

My point was that it doesn't take care of the "problem."

Vampyr
04-16-2005, 12:10 AM
My point was that it doesn't take care of the "problem."

Unless human choices are derived from human traits.

Like in genes.

GameMaster
04-16-2005, 12:13 AM
Asexualness sounds great. Just think of the how much more time a person has in each day without any sexual obligations. Becoming asexual, one could dedicate all time and effort to business and self promotion. For anybody who desires money and power, becoming an asexual would be the key to success! If only I could create some kind of invention to induce asexualness within non-asexuals. My dream of fame and fortune would be much more easier to grasp if I was asexual.

Need to make some quick cash? Sue someone for asexual harassment! How is it done? It's as easy as 1-2-3! Simply stand near someone who is not making any sexual advances or gestures and BAM! You got yourself an asexual harrassment case!

KillerGremlin
04-16-2005, 12:29 AM
I think someone needs to get laid.....

Typhoid
04-16-2005, 01:04 AM
So wait, ok....

You're all saying that Asexual (in this case) means you choose not to have sex, or think about sex, or it just turns out that way for you.

So if Heterosexual means you like people of the opposite sex.
And if Homosexual means you like people of the same sex.
And Bisexual means you like people of both sexes.
How does Asexual mean you dont think of/have/want/meed/ sex?

Would it not mean (compared to the others in these terms) that you only have sex with you, and you alone? The urges for sex are still there, yet you're own physical or mental being turns you on. A naked woman, or naked man wont do it for you, Yet seeing yourself naked would be like heaven.

So in these regards, being Asexual, would be narcissism to the next level.

Swan
04-16-2005, 02:05 AM
You could not be attracted to anyone, even yourself, yet still need to release certain tensions within yourself. This is a mental problem, not physical.

Vampyr
04-16-2005, 09:14 AM
So wait, ok....

You're all saying that Asexual (in this case) means you choose not to have sex, or think about sex, or it just turns out that way for you.

So if Heterosexual means you like people of the opposite sex.
And if Homosexual means you like people of the same sex.
And Bisexual means you like people of both sexes.
How does Asexual mean you dont think of/have/want/meed/ sex?

Would it not mean (compared to the others in these terms) that you only have sex with you, and you alone? The urges for sex are still there, yet you're own physical or mental being turns you on. A naked woman, or naked man wont do it for you, Yet seeing yourself naked would be like heaven.

So in these regards, being Asexual, would be narcissism to the next level.

If you would read the definition that Killer gremlin posted (Like I told you to before), you would already know the answer to that.

It means you don't want to. Period.

DarrenMcLeod
04-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Smurfs are asexual.
Hahaha nice Donnie Darko reference.

Typhoid
04-16-2005, 02:58 PM
If you would read the definition that Killer gremlin posted (Like I told you to before), you would already know the answer to that.

It means you don't want to. Period.

But im saying in relation to the other type of sexualities, and their definitions.

If you dont want sex, wouldt e better word be "Abstenant" or something? Considering thats what it means?

jeepnut
04-17-2005, 03:29 PM
And it would suck to be that way. And I agree with Killer...it's just not right. One of the fundamental characterstics of a species or living being is reproducing. If you don't want to do that, than you have some sort of disorder.

This applies to homosexuals as well. By desiring someone of your same sex, you basically deny yourself the opportunity to reproduce because the possibility simply doesn't exists and yet society has moved toward viewing homosexuality as normal and even natural. According to this thought, homosexuality should be viewed as a disorder.

Vampyr
04-17-2005, 04:36 PM
This applies to homosexuals as well. By desiring someone of your same sex, you basically deny yourself the opportunity to reproduce because the possibility simply doesn't exists and yet society has moved toward viewing homosexuality as normal and even natural. According to this thought, homosexuality should be viewed as a disorder.

It's more of a way of controlling the population.

Every species in the world does it. It keeps them from overpopulating an area. That's why there are so many homosexual people in china.

jeepnut
04-17-2005, 06:34 PM

Every species in the world does it. It keeps them from overpopulating an area. That's why there are so many homosexual people in china.

So I guess asexuality can be viewed in the same way.

KillerGremlin
04-17-2005, 07:16 PM
While this hasn't been "technically" verified yet, I'm going to go out on a whim and say homosexuality is somewhat of a disorder...my theory is that over the years of evolution, the genes that give people their drive to reproduce have changed, consider homosexuality an evolutionary defect. The thing is, that's perfectly fine.

I'm not going to indulge because it's a touchy subject, but there have been numerous documented cases, just recently even, that have involved other species besides humans. There have been homosexual penguins, and last time I checked penguins don't f*ck out of passion. Evolutionary defect, or love for the same sex. You tell me.

Of course, humans have "emotions" and all that other crap, so it makes the whole scenario a lot more messy. If only monkeys turned gay, then all our problems would be solved, and we could discredit words of the Catholic church too!

Swan
04-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Just found this comic, thought it related to this...
http://www.whiteninjacomics.com/images/comics/newjob.gif

GameMaster
04-19-2005, 11:39 PM
:lol: Excellent find, my friend. +rep

Stray_Bullet
04-20-2005, 12:27 AM

:rofl:
Don't try to make a living in philosophy.

You're mixing up your cause/effect.

Vampyr
04-20-2005, 05:23 PM
:rofl:
Don't try to make a living in philosophy.

You're mixing up your cause/effect.

Eh, your right. I have that backwards. I didn't mean for it to sound that way. I mean that when an area becomes over populated people become homosexual to satisfy their sexual desires, but it also controlls population and causes it to go back to equilibrium.

But at least the people still have a desire for sex. :p