PDA

View Full Version : Entry numero uno...

thatmariolover
04-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Hey hey. Not exactly sure what to say, so I guess I'll jump right in and start talking... :D

I started working at GameStop a number of months ago. Slightly disappointed about the pay, but overall extremely excited that I would be able to get a job in an industry that I really understand on every level. And in all reality, it really wasn't all that bad a job. I have great co-workers for the most part. The thing that every employee hates about GameStop then, you ask? The Corporate bozo's that seem to think they know what it's like on ground level retail sales. There's nothing that could enrage me more than getting a nasty email in the morning from Corporate Offices asking us why we don't have defective stickers for PS2's when they're bought back as Defective. Well, CO's, I'll tell you why. [Insert cleverly rude response.]

Which brings me to another thing I'd like to comment on. How many companies with stocks big enough to be mentioned on CNN do you know using dial up internet and a P.O.S. (Point of Sale, computer used to ring up products for all you non-retail folk) that's so outdated it has a color scheme similar to an Apple II? Running on P4 computers. Now tell me, does that seem like a waste of money to you? And yet they grill us about using hours improperly.

Anyway, enough with that. I'll really try to get into the blogish part now.

Today was simple enough, I had a later shift so it wasn't so bad. My boss, Phil, is a middle-aged laid back guy with a lot on his mind and not a lot to say. For some reason I always have the terrible mistake of underestimating his intelligence only for it to be blatantly shoved in my face and for me to feel like calling myself nine kinds of idiot. He's in the back when I arrive, as usual. He doesn't like to work much if he can make somebody else do it. But he's a good guy.

Jeanie is by far my favorite employee. She's engaged - and it's really selfish of me but I keep wishing it wouldn't work out. She's stuck in it and not really happy with the way her life's going to end up. But for some reason she has this incredible underlying guilt about leaving her Fiance Zach. Like for some reason he's become her responsibility and it's wrong of her to want anything better out of her life. And yet I'm kind of stuck, because I really just don't know how to help her. She's the most incredible person I've ever met. I can talk about anything anytime about her and it's not weird at all. From politics to poop, you know? And it just comes out, completely unflinchingly and honest and you're left feeling like you belong. I think she knows how I feel about her and feels the same way, which makes working with her even more difficult. Because I feel like I'm somehow the cause of a lot of her inner conflict.

At any rate, I get to work today, Jeanie's getting out when I'm getting in. Tragic. But she leaves me in a good mood, she pranks the Radio Shack next door asking about vibrator batteries and how she doesn't know which ones she needs - asking if she could bring it in and they could just tell her. Priceless. But it's only temporary, she goes back home to Zach. Sigh.

The rest of the night is fairly uneventful. I get kind of excited, we've got a "Defective" PSP at the other GameStop in town. And by "defective" I mean it had a single burnt out pixel. You know Sony won't replace them unless there are more than ten? Yeah... Ridiculous... Anyway, I hadn't gotten to play one until today, so I'm pretty worked up. I get it back, and it's awesome. I was much more interested in the Spiderman movie than Ridge Racer or Untold Legends, which both disappoint me visually. Ah well, the machine is incredibly sexy and I definitely want one, although I think I'll have to invest in a 1GB card for it to be of much use to me. I'm gonna want it as a multimedia machine and it won't satisfy me without at least 1GB of my crap.

Anyway, I answer a few calls, alphabetize the PS2 section, and an uneventful night ends.

WoW time. Yeah, I'm obsessed. Jeanie's online. YES... Zach's online. /weep. Ah well, no biggie, not like we'll talk about anything anyway. I do a quick Zul'Ferrek run, write this, and now I'm off to bed.

Congrats if you made it to the end.

GameMaster
04-10-2005, 04:21 PM
I'd like to make a toast, to your newly established blog! May it house many wonderful stories and emotions. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen other stores with really old, outdated computers also (Macy's comes to mind). It didn't seem too important to me but I guess I'm not really sure of what else it's used for aside from calculating sales, change, etc. You'll have to tell us of all the things you do (or try to do) with it.

I was excited to meet Jeanie, Phil, and Zach. It seems like they're going to be recurring characters in your stories. I'm guessing that something will happen between you and Jeanie by at least Season Two of the series. We'll have to wait and see.