PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a DS - What to Get With It?

DarrenMcLeod
04-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Well, I decided that I need a portable system, and as sexy as the PSP is, I think I'm going to have to go with a DS. My brother's girlfriend stole my GBA so she could play Tetris while waiting for clients at the hair salon she works at, so I'm going to get him to send me down all my games, and she can keep the GBA and Tetris.

I need a DS because this summer I'll be taking a bus every other weekend to visit my girlfriend who lives about 5 hours away.

Now, that being said, what games/accessories are "must haves" with the DS? Right now, I'm assuming all I'll buy is the system, and one or two games. Probably just one though. I'm thinking right now that I'll go with Yoshi's Touch and Go. I'm a big fan of oldschool highscore gameplay, and I've heard lots of good things about YTaG.

Anyone have any accessories that they feel are great with a DS or games I should get instead of Yoshi?

KillerGremlin
04-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Well.....The DS is pretty self-sufficient. I mean, you might want to buy a custom stylus, but I think the default one works fine. As far as games go, a lot of stuff is still in the making. I'd personally get the Minish Cap if I had not already purchased that, and then play that on the DS. But, seeing as how that doesn't do your new handheld any justice, I'd suggest picking up Super Mario 64 DS if you want a lengthy adventure game, despite the fact that I'm sure you've played it before. Warioware is a lot of fun, but it's also very easy to beat and it's very similar to all the other games in the series. Yoshi Touch And Go looks fun, but I haven't personally played it. It got a decent review.

I'm so pissed Nintendo didn't just bite the bullet and wait a few months for some third party developement on the damn thing. It's a great little portable, with a really small library. And don't give me that "it has GBA games" crap because playing DS games is a hell of a lot cooler then playing GBA games. Especially when you get the thing.

DarrenMcLeod
04-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Thanks. I agree with you on the GBA games thing. It is not an excuse for the lack of software on DS, but just a nice little bonus. I'm thinking about Mario 64 DS, but how does the control scheme work? I played it for a couple minutes in a kiosk and i couldn't come to grips with using the stylus for control (although I hear using the strap is better).

WarioWare is something else I was considering. I never played the GBA version, and I thought the GameCube game was a clever little diversion.

I'm also curious about the poker game that gets released in a few days. I love poker, but most handheld games just don't cut it because of poor AI.

Jason1
04-10-2005, 06:09 PM
I really tried to get used to playing Super Mario 64 DS with the Thumbpad, but I just couldnt. It was just too akward for me. Luckily the traditional Dpad works decently enough. You've gotta hold a certain button to run, and it works. Its not Analog thumb pad, but it gets you through it. Just dont expect N64 quailty control.

Canyarion
04-10-2005, 06:23 PM
I don't think Wario Ware will keep you busy all the 5 hours... it's more of a short pick-up-and-play game for lost moments. :)

Yoshi sounds good. :D

DarrenMcLeod
04-10-2005, 06:28 PM
I don't think Wario Ware will keep you busy all the 5 hours... it's more of a short pick-up-and-play game for lost moments. :)

Yoshi sounds good. :D
As far as the five hours goes, I'll be switching back and forth between games. I'm not a marathon gamer, I'm more of a play one game for an hour, take a break or play another game, etc. That's why one of my favorite games for GBA is Puyo Pop. I can't play it for more than an hour, but i'll be damned if I haven't plugged more hours into that than any other game because I always go back to it.

So Jason, would you still recommend it even with the DPad?

KillerGremlin
04-10-2005, 06:29 PM
I don't know much about the poker game, but I got used to the controls on the DS.

My biggest complaint regarding the PS1 was always the lack of an analog stick, and after a while you just overcome that problem. The DS is a lot like that.

Super Mario 64 on the DS is fine, but it will take about an hour or two for you to get used to it. I personally used the D-pad most of the time, but I did use the thumb stylus on certain parts. The thumb stylus works MUCH better then the pen stylus, and with a little practice, you'll quickly learn how to manuever mario using it. However, I promis you cheap deaths from the controls. Seeing as how Bowser World 1 can be opened 8 stars into the game, I found myself dying one to many times on that damn level, just because I was having trouble with the controls. And yeah, some of the levels, like Clockworld, Rainbow Road, and Tiny Big Island are a bit harder then before, just because of the controls. But, by the time I got to Rainbow Road, I was used to the controls, and I didn't really die because of that.

As far as depth and or length are concerned, Mario 64 DS has a decent amount of gameplay. You have the 150 stars, and then the minigames. So, basically you have an already decent-sized adventure game made longer. As far as originallity is concerned, the game gets a 1 out of 10.

But yeah....it all depends on what you want. Poker games are a lot of fun, and I could see Poker DS being hella fun. Especially with the touch screen..I wanna deal cards using the stylus.

Jason1
04-10-2005, 06:51 PM
So Jason, would you still recommend it even with the DPad?

Hmmm...Would I recommend it? Probably. Depends on how much you liked Mario64, and how much you think you'll enjoy playing through it again. It's certaintly a showcase for the DS's graphics capabilities if your wanting to show it off. That and the Minigames are quite fun, one or 2 even border on being addictive. So yea, id recommend it overall.

GameMaster
04-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Every serious DS owner needs to pick up an official Nintendo crafted carrying case:

Official embroidered DS logo on front and Nintendo seal engraved on zipper.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/synthoid/DSCN0965.jpg

Special net carrier for additional accessories:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/synthoid/DSCN0964.jpg

Game sleeve, net carrier, and DS compartments:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/synthoid/DSCN0963.jpg

Case when closed and sealed:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/synthoid/DSCN0962.jpg

Close-up of game sleeve compartment:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/synthoid/DSCN0961.jpg

bobcat
04-11-2005, 07:06 AM
niiiice

Canyarion
04-11-2005, 09:37 AM
but how big is that thing?

Dark Samurai
04-11-2005, 10:26 AM
but how big is that thing?

It looks like it can fit a DS and some games in there... :rolleyes: ;)

MuGen
04-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Why is everyone overlooking Ridge Racers? That's a good game to go back to once in awhile on the DS.

DarrenMcLeod
04-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Why is everyone overlooking Ridge Racers? That's a good game to go back to once in awhile on the DS.
I'm gonna wait and see how Need for Speed Underground 2 turns out... it's looking better than Ridge Racer.

MuGen
04-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Well it IS better then Ridge Racer in terms of spending hours on hook ups and such. But isn't that going to come out soon or is it now?

I've played Ridge Racer DS and it's pretty addicting.

DarrenMcLeod
04-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Need for Speed comes out either later this month or early next month. Release dates vary on different sites.

MuGen
04-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Well if you want something where you can switch between games, and have games that are worth switching too, you should invest in a PSP but I highly doubt anyone will take this statement seriously)

PSP's intial library is full of great gaming, and if you buy a Pelican Extended Battery or even a Power Brick, you can have hours and hours of gaming with PSP's games.

Pelican Extended Battery - Runs on 3 AAA Batteries and it's own Li-ion supplement, which brings PSP's battery life to 10 hours and if a high end game is being used, up to 8 hours.

Power Brick can store 2 full charges, and before you go on a lengthy road trip, you can fill it up, and then when you're playing you can charge it up with the brick and no outlets are needed.

I'd definitely spring for the Extended Battery from Pelican though.

But since this is a DS thread, and you seem to be more interested in it, You should get some racing games. (RRDS and NFSU2DS) that should fill your needs on the road.

Canyarion
04-11-2005, 02:25 PM
:rolleyes: He's gonna need a heck of a bag to carry a PSP with all the add-ons you need...

Seriously, DS is the best PORTABLE. Great for going to places.

MuGen
04-11-2005, 02:53 PM
I have a crap load of accessories for my PSP already, all fit in a case that is a bit longer then the PSP and a bit thicker..... not much of a bag there....

DarrenMcLeod
04-11-2005, 03:12 PM
The thread is entitled "Purchasing a DS," not "What System Should I Choose."

After carefully reviewing both systems, I've already decided that the system I would like to get is the Nintendo DS.

Well if you want something where you can switch between games, and have games that are worth switching too, you should invest in a PSP but I highly doubt anyone will take this statement seriously)
That statement is hard to take seriously when you state that only PSP has games worth switching to, especially in a DS-based thread.

If I wanted a PSP, I would've asked what I should get with a PSP. But I didn't. I asked what to get with a DS.

Thank you :D

MuGen
04-11-2005, 03:44 PM
The thread is entitled "Purchasing a DS," not "What System Should I Choose."

After carefully reviewing both systems, I've already decided that the system I would like to get is the Nintendo DS.

That statement is hard to take seriously when you state that only PSP has games worth switching to, especially in a DS-based thread.

If I wanted a PSP, I would've asked what I should get with a PSP. But I didn't. I asked what to get with a DS.

Thank you :D

It's interesting how selective people are...

But since this is a DS thread, and you seem to be more interested in it, You should get some racing games. (RRDS and NFSU2DS) that should fill your needs on the road.

Read posts thoroughly and you won't get confused.

DarrenMcLeod
04-11-2005, 03:52 PM
It's interesting how selective people are...

Read posts thoroughly and you won't get confused.
I read your post thoroughly. I realized that you recognize that it's a DS thread, but my point is that even though you knew it was a DS thread, it didn't stop you from trying to change the subject to Sony's handheld. Look at the size of your post, and look at how little is said about DS. That's what I was getting at.

If I went into a PSP purchasing thread and spouted on for a few paragraphs about the DS being the only system with multiple good games, and all the accessories to purchase for it then said "But you seem to want a PSP, get Lumines," I'd get the same reaction from you.

MuGen
04-11-2005, 04:19 PM
That might be true....... but it is also an opinion...

I've seen the DS' library... that dates back to November of last year it came out.... considering the time gone by... you'd think they'd have better games... Still waiting for Mario Kart DS?

DarrenMcLeod
04-11-2005, 04:31 PM
You have to consider that maybe Nintendo released the hardware without a whole lot of software in an effort to beat Sony out of the gate and get the crucial holiday period. This, in large parts, accounts for the lack of games. Also, companies having to change programming style and not able to be lazy and just port things adds to the drought.

Am I looking forward to more games? Yes, I am. I am disappointed with the current DS titles, and I think most people are. But I still want to play a ton of upcoming DS games (jam with the band, nintendogs, polarium, meteos, animal crossing, kirby cursed canvas, etc), and I think that in time the DS will prove to have some really innovative game ideas.

The only games currently released for PSP that I'd like to play are Lumines and Mercury. The games for DS I'd like to play are Zoo Keeper, Yoshi's Touch and Go, Mario 64 DS, Wario Ware Touched, and Feel the Magic. That tips the scales in DS' favor for my personal opinion.

KillerGremlin
04-11-2005, 04:34 PM
The PSP is wasting no time with sales, and it will be interesting to see what happens. I foresee Zelda DS sometime in the near future, especially if the PSP continues to have stellar sales. Damn, I'm looking forward to that. I want a new zelda game!

DarrenMcLeod
04-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Heh, yeah. I'm expecting some big DS announcements at E3 to try and win back some love to Nintendo's court considering everyone and their mom is currently praising PSP.

MuGen
04-11-2005, 04:40 PM
It has always been evident that third party support will always decide the popularity of a console. If a lot of games go on one console, everyone buys that console.

the PSP has a lot of support. And the feeling I'm getting is that Nintendo isn't even trying to get support.

KillerGremlin
04-11-2005, 04:44 PM
As far as I know, Nintendo hasn't "officially" lost any third-party support for it's DS. Just wait another month or two, and the third party support will come. One benefit Sony had was a streamlined portable, it's basically a slightly dumbed down PS2 with a smaller screen - Nintendo made a brand new system with a touch screen. It's going to take a little more time to develope games for the DS.

DarrenMcLeod
04-11-2005, 04:48 PM
As far as I know, Nintendo hasn't "officially" lost any third-party support for it's DS. Just wait another month or two, and the third party support will come. One benefit Sony had was a streamlined portable, it's basically a slightly dumbed down PS2 with a smaller screen - Nintendo made a brand new system with a touch screen. It's going to take a little more time to develope games for the DS.
Yeah, this is what it comes down to. Look at the PSP line up... most games were taken from the PS2 line up, given a couple changes, called a remix, and they look and play spectacular.

Developers for DS need to program in the second screen, add touch capabilities, etc. They can't port over their PS2/GameCube/XBox franchises because the system is different (and, of course, way less powerful).

Considering the sales DS has had, and the massive power Nintendo has in the handheld department, I think we should just wait and see. PSP, even with its current high sales, might just end up being another Dreamcast. Loads of sales at the start, and then everyone who wants one has bought one, and sales quickly decline. Or, maybe it'll be the other way around and DS will die out fast. It could go either way.

Canyarion
04-12-2005, 07:16 AM
Argh I HATE it how everything turns into a Nintendo vs Sony thread in here. :baby:

bobcat
04-12-2005, 07:34 AM
Argh I HATE it how everything turns into a Nintendo vs Sony thread in here. :baby:
Yeh it's just sickening..............

So anyways I reckon the DS kicks the PSP's ass 10 fold.........:unsure:

:sneaky:

MuGen
04-12-2005, 10:59 AM
Don't you guys remember that Nintendo is setting things up for their new Gameboy? Thats where I think all the 3rd party support went.

Canyarion
04-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Don't you guys remember that Nintendo is setting things up for their new Gameboy?
NO we don't remember because that was a false rumor.

MuGen
04-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Good...then the DS is done LOL j/k

DarrenMcLeod
04-12-2005, 08:53 PM
Well, I am going to be getting the DS tomorrow. Somebody saw me bidding on eBay, and offered me theirs...we're using PayPal so he can't cheat me out of it. I'm getting it for 170 USD (including shipping), and it includes Mario 64 DS, Metroid demo, and Ridge Racer (which I'll probably trade in at EB). The only problem is taxes and duties at the border, but he's just going to say that it is a gift, and therefore it's not taxed.

And Kyuzo, I figured you'd like this - he's selling it because he wants a PSP. :p

MuGen
04-13-2005, 11:30 AM
I've already witnessed a couple of Nintendo trade-ins for the PSP unit. I'm not exactly GLAD thats how they are getting it, but I am proud that they actually want the PSP that bad.

I saw a guy trade in his GBASP couple of games, his DS and couple of games to get the PSP. Then I saw a guy and his child at eb, the son said "I want the PSP!" and the clerk said that they are all sold out. The father said, "How about the DS?" and the son said, "Fine.." and believe me, when he said fine, it was a deep undertone of disappointment. I'm not lying...

So I've been seeing a lot of PSP over DS people around my parts, and on GT i've seen a lot of DS over PSP... so it's all offset.

Dark Samurai
04-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Then I saw a guy and his child at eb, the son said "I want the PSP!" and the clerk said that they are all sold out. The father said, "How about the DS?" and the son said, "Fine.." and believe me, when he said fine, it was a deep undertone of disappointment. I'm not lying...

I remember that...

After all that happened, Kyuzo and I were playing Untold Legends with the clerk at Software Etc., and the kid come up to us, to tell us that he might be getting the PSP, then "maybe" get the DS for his birthday... then when on to tell us how cool the PSP was... while the PSP was in our hands... man...

That kid reminded me of my little brother, just not as enthuiastic...

MuGen
04-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Oh but your brother spent countless sentences bashing the PSP whenever he could. When he got a hold of it, he couldn't stop asking you to let him play... lol

But that kid at Software man.... as if we didn't know how cool the PSP was... especially with it in our hands.

DarrenMcLeod
04-13-2005, 08:27 PM
I sold the guy out and went with an eBay auction from Canada... much better deal because it only came with Mario, Metroid, and the DS, no ridge racer.