PDA

View Full Version : Why is PSP so expensive

Crash
04-07-2005, 03:13 PM
cause Sony can't afford to lose anymore money on it's operations.

Sony's total debt stood at 6.71 trillion yen ($61 billion) on June 30

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000080&sid=aiimIU_uzAs0&refer=asia

Sony's shares fell 1.5 percent to 3,890 yen today in Tokyo. The Nikkei 225 Stock average rose 0.4 percent.

Standard & Poor's today said it is reviewing Sony's A+ long- term debt rating, its fifth-highest, for a possible downgrade because the acquisition may damage Sony's balance sheet. MGM's losses over three years, which total about $740 million, make it ``uncertain what contribution MGM can make to Sony's profits,'' S&P said. Sony's total debt stood at 6.71 trillion yen ($61 billion) on June 30.

That's a lot of debt... Microsoft has lost $5+ Billion this generation too... No wonder Nintendo is in no hurry to try and take over the #1 spot. They are still making good money even in last place.

Dark Samurai
04-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Damn, and here I am ready to say that the PSP is really 180-190 dollars but because of the value pack its $250.

But damn, you just stole my own answer from me...

DarkMaster
04-07-2005, 03:32 PM
*sigh* This is Sony the ELECTRONICS company's loss, not Sony COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT. You might be surprised to learn that they are two completely different divisions.

And considering the technology and capabilities of the PSP, as well as what is included in the value pack, it is not over priced at all.

Blackmane
04-07-2005, 03:44 PM
They are probably not making much money on the hardware right now, if they aren't already taking a hit for it. Probably not as bad as Microsoft initially was, but still, probably something.

Null
04-07-2005, 03:47 PM
people never seem to understand that dark, some *coughcrashcough* are just too quick to jump on anything bad that concerns sony.

and it is certainly not expensive. people were saying it was going to cost 400, and it gets released at 250 in a VALUE pack, normal package will prolly come out at 200, yet they still complain expensive. i dont see how its expensive when its not much over what a DS costs. i'd say both are very well priced for what they are.

MuGen
04-07-2005, 03:57 PM
At least someone (DarkMaster) understands that divisions play a huge role in the electronics business.

Sony has spent millions on it's HDTV and WEGA televisions, and Samsung is currently destroying them in that department. That is the result in the huge debt Sony Electronics is in. Don't be so trigger happy with dismal news about Sony... because it's just their Consumer Electronics division that is in debt. Different divisions are funded by different subsidiaries and third parties.

Sony Computer Entertainment is a division funded by many different subsidiary companies. The losses in their consumer electronics division hurt the company as a whole, but it does not effect the price point of the PSP.

Do your homework.... PSP is reasonably priced. Everyone might not like that it's only available as a value pack, but that's no grounds to say it is overpriced. The solo unit in Japan is $185.

EDIT: Did anyone else notice how contrived it was to post this thread, considering this article reports on their situation on June 30, 2004.

Blackmane
04-07-2005, 03:59 PM
My parents just bought a Sony Wega 42" Flat Screen.

I hope that helps pull you out of debt, Sony. Best wishes. :D

MuGen
04-07-2005, 04:00 PM
LOL... their constribution will probably be noted, considering Samsung is owning Sony in the TV/Electronics department.

Perfect Stu
04-07-2005, 04:09 PM
best. thread. ever.

Crash, you're on a roll.

MuGen
04-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Why am I always the one that gets rebuked for starting threads of a controversial and/or pointless matter?

Perfect Stu
04-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Why am I always the one that gets rebuked for starting threads of a controversial and/or pointless matter?

The same reason why the dinosaurs died...

MuGen
04-07-2005, 04:19 PM
For some reason I understand you.

EDIT: Update from Credit Suisse First Boston....

Sony sold 600,000 to 700,000 units of the PSP, as the game player is known, in the first week of U.S. sales, Credit Suisse First Boston said April 1, citing its own survey of retailers. Sony said it prepared 1 million units for the release.

Crash
04-07-2005, 04:45 PM
perfect stu, you're what keeps these boards fun... I love you man! :D

GameMaster
04-07-2005, 04:51 PM

How dare you turn the focus of this thread toward yourself! :mad:

Crash and other members have the full right to discuss the good and bad factors of a gaming company and anything accompanied with it.

MuGen
04-07-2005, 05:01 PM

Crash and other members have the full right to discuss the good and bad factors of a gaming company and anything accompanied with it.

I looked at your profile GM, and just realized your 18 years old..... but I'm not implying anything. I'm not going to sit here in a constant fued with you man, I have better ways of wasting my time.

Perfect Stu
04-07-2005, 05:06 PM
perfect stu, you're what keeps these boards fun... I love you man! :D

:guitar:

DeathsHand
04-07-2005, 05:12 PM
I looked at your profile GM, and just realized your 18 years old..... but I'm not implying anything. I'm not going to sit here in a constant fued with you man, I have better ways of wasting my time.

I don't get it

Perfect Stu
04-07-2005, 05:13 PM
I don't get it

dont be a Mr. Negative No-No, DH.

JOIN THE PARTY!

:drum:

:beat:

DeathsHand
04-07-2005, 05:31 PM
dont be a Mr. Negative No-No, DH.

JOIN THE PARTY!

:drum:

:beat:

I'm not being a Mr. Negative No-No, I'm quite amused!

Not only is GM 19 as of a few days ago, but Kyozu seems to be implying that because he's less than a year older than him, he's somehow far superior and GM is not worth his time (even though we all know it's GM's job to post random seriously-worded BS for the sake of being goofy and maybe pushing people's buttons)...

But I am also a tad confused, because I thought people grew out of that whole mindset somewhere between middle and high school...

Or I could just be misinunderstanding this whole situation, because after all Kyozu "Wasn't implying anything"...

Crash
04-07-2005, 05:46 PM
I have better ways of wasting my time.

Like Playing a PSP

Eh, you guys are like moonlighting, it's fun to watch you to bicker about things.

MuGen
04-07-2005, 05:48 PM
I'm not implying that I'm superior by age.... I'm implying that he's 19 years old and he acts childish. Especially with his constant bantering when I post something.

DeathsHand
04-07-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm not implying that I'm superior by age.... I'm implying that he's 19 years old and he acts childish. Especially with his constant bantering when I post something.

But he posts his silly banter when anybody posts anything...

all in good fun...

Doesn't really matter, the way I see it all topics crash starts are useless, and (to put it in the least childish way I can think of) nobody likes him.

But you learn to laugh at him instead of letting that stick slide further up your ass.

Besides, by the time you post your reply Crash has probably gone back to zoning the rest of the world out so he can play his Nintendo while giggling at nothing, completely oblivious to the fact that he's drooling on himself.

MuGen
04-07-2005, 06:16 PM
I'm not letting anything slide up my arse :p -- he is the one who keeps directing malice at me...

Crash
04-07-2005, 06:22 PM
But he posts his silly banter when anybody posts anything...

all in good fun...

Doesn't really matter, the way I see it all topics crash starts are useless, and (to put it in the least childish way I can think of) nobody likes him.

But you learn to laugh at him instead of letting that stick slide further up your ass.

Besides, by the time you post your reply Crash has probably gone back to zoning the rest of the world out so he can play his Nintendo while giggling at nothing, completely oblivious to the fact that he's drooling on himself.

:beerchug:

actually I think just the sony fanboys dont like me.... crash walks away to go have a good cry

MuGen
04-07-2005, 06:26 PM
I like you Crash, but I dislike your threads concerning the shortcummings of a certain brand... :p :beerchug:

Crash
04-07-2005, 06:29 PM
but we can agree everyone hates GameMaster!!!

just kidding GM, I think you're hilarious... + rep

Blackmane
04-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Well, I dislike everyone's threads that proclaim the uberness of the PSP. Equally as annoying.

But, before someone says something, I don't want the posts to stop. This forum thrives on controversy, and I love seeing a post that I wanna just yell about because it gives me something to yell about.

If we didn't have Crash, where would all the PS2 fanboys get a chance to take the high road?

Perfect Stu
04-07-2005, 07:01 PM
This forum thrives on controversy, and I love seeing a post that I wanna just yell about because it gives me something to yell about.

in that case,

I had intercourse with your significant other...aaand you're a stupid dumb-dumb

Teuthida
04-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Every company is doomed in the end...what with the volcanoes and all.

Blackmane
04-07-2005, 07:12 PM
in that case,

I had intercourse with your significant other

Ew, you had sex with Typhoid?

:lol:

Dark Samurai
04-07-2005, 07:16 PM

Umm... wouldnt that imply that you did too? uh... ownd himself?

Blackmane
04-07-2005, 07:20 PM
He just said my significant other. That just means he is significant to me, but not nessesarily that we have 'done' anything.

Un-ownd!!!!

Dark Samurai
04-07-2005, 07:25 PM
He just said my significant other. That just means he is significant to me, but not nessesarily that we have 'done' anything.

Un-ownd!!!!

Uh... no... I dont believe it to be true!... (Kyuzo!)

Perfect Stu
04-07-2005, 07:30 PM

well apparently I did!

:(

Teuthida
04-07-2005, 07:37 PM
*walks into thread*

hmm, um...ah, uh...yeah...

*leaves thread*

GameMaster
04-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Is there a place for my name in this mischievious innuendo?

On the subject of PSP being expensive, I think $200 is a fair price for the individual unit with no values. I'd like to see it dropped to $150 in a year or two once the novelty of it has worn off or as a tactic to compete with GBA-2 Extreme.

Crash
04-07-2005, 09:55 PM

who hasn't?

DarrenMcLeod
04-07-2005, 10:07 PM
You are posting in a videogames forum and your avatar is anime.

Never complain about others acting childish.

MuGen
04-07-2005, 11:19 PM
The forum may be GameTavern but there are far more elements in play here then just games. Just take a look at all the other forums I post in.

EDIT: For the record Highlander, I didn't complain, simply explaining my earlier pun.

And almost everyone has an avatar that has nothing to do with games.

KillerGremlin
04-08-2005, 12:02 AM
God I hate white poeple, those f*cking fancy white people. Only black people are good, because they aren't as fancy.

You all should join the KKFK. Klu Klux Fanboy Klan.

We should all just hold hands and screw each other in the behind. I call dibs on crash's ass.

Crash
04-08-2005, 12:04 AM
it's okay, there's enough to go around for everybody....

KillerGremlin
04-08-2005, 12:12 AM
...and there in lies the problem with just about every forum out there!

I've been in my fair share of roundabouts with forum members, and they don't go anywhere until the "oppossing force" tries the product he has bashed for the last year. And then he either become the biggest hypocrite ever, and starts talking about how great the product is, or he continues to lay waste to the product. Regardless of the scenario, someone is always unhappy. These arguments have about as much wisdom as the Catholic Church's stance on modern day science. You can continue to attack Sony indirectly, and be a "fanboy," or you can conform to it, and be a "conformer." It's a lose-lose situation, the way I see it....so good times.

The way I see it, these threads provide me with about 10 minutes of entertainment. It's like watching a movie were everyone kills each other....kind of like reserivoir dogs....only not as good.

I give this thread 3/5.

Was this review helpful to you?
Yes? No?

I want a rep for ripping off amazon, bitches.....

Stonecutter
04-08-2005, 12:29 AM

STOP

Look at your user name.

Posts like this are why it's like that.

This is not funny anymore.

For many people it never was.

Knock it off.

DarrenMcLeod
04-08-2005, 02:21 AM
I'm confused. First of all, Kyuzo calls me Highlander even though I'm a Canuck (I'm guessing because the main character off the TV show is a MacLeod/McLeod?).

Second of all, KillerGremlin... here is a summary of what you have said on these boards since I rejoined these boards a month ago, or whenever it was.

"OMG look at this fanboy"
"I wish you fanboys would die"
"i don't want you to hug me... fanboy germs!"
"Klu Klux Fanboy Club Wahaaaaaaaaa"

Now, I think I've stated once in my return... ONCE... that I prefer Nintendo to other companies. I've been extremely rational in posting about the DS and PSP, talking about how the PSP is quite a brilliant little system, and yet you still call me a fanboy, as well as everyone else. Can't you do something besides criticize people for having an opinion? People will support their system, and bash those who aren't of their particular idea. Look at how many wars have been fought over religions, and riots over sports. It's not a concept that is alone in gaming.

BlueFire
04-08-2005, 06:39 AM
This thread is so lame.

:p

Neo
04-08-2005, 09:17 AM
The forum may be GameTavern but there are far more elements in play here then just games. Just take a look at all the other forums I post in.

Don't get too comfortable, soon we're renaming ourselves to "GizTavern" in honor of the upcoming Gizmondo portable.

Null
04-08-2005, 09:52 AM
awww. but i liked GizmoTavern. :(

Blackmane
04-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Is it pronouced 'Jiz Tavern'?

Horrible....

Null
04-08-2005, 11:20 AM
hey, get your mind outta the gutter!

Crash
04-08-2005, 11:54 AM
people need to relax and take things less seriously. This board is fine as long as we keep the PERSONAL comments to a minimum.

Jonbo298
04-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Holy crap, I lost 10 more brain points trying to read this thread :eyes:

Crash
04-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Don't get too comfortable, soon we're renaming ourselves to "GizTavern" in honor of the upcoming Gizmondo portable.

Gizmondo yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

DarrenMcLeod
04-08-2005, 02:08 PM
people need to relax and take things less seriously. This board is fine as long as we keep the PERSONAL comments to a minimum.
Maybe there'd be less personal comments if you weren't such a *** all the time.

EDIT: it wouldn't let me say f4g?

Crash
04-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Maybe there'd be less personal comments if you weren't such a *** all the time.

EDIT: it wouldn't let me say f4g?

:lol::lol: :lol:

see some people on here have a sense of humor.

KillerGremlin
04-08-2005, 04:26 PM
I'm confused. First of all, Kyuzo calls me Highlander even though I'm a Canuck (I'm guessing because the main character off the TV show is a MacLeod/McLeod?).

Second of all, KillerGremlin... here is a summary of what you have said on these boards since I rejoined these boards a month ago, or whenever it was.

"OMG look at this fanboy"
"I wish you fanboys would die"
"i don't want you to hug me... fanboy germs!"
"Klu Klux Fanboy Club Wahaaaaaaaaa"

Now, I think I've stated once in my return... ONCE... that I prefer Nintendo to other companies. I've been extremely rational in posting about the DS and PSP, talking about how the PSP is quite a brilliant little system, and yet you still call me a fanboy, as well as everyone else. Can't you do something besides criticize people for having an opinion? People will support their system, and bash those who aren't of their particular idea. Look at how many wars have been fought over religions, and riots over sports. It's not a concept that is alone in gaming.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. Please PM me with your address so I can drive to your house, give you a formal apology, and then proceed to suck your penis.

I didn't come here to make friends, but if want to have 47 threads with the same arguments founded on the SAME OPINIONS then so be it. I think you will find that it grows old, fast.

And, please take my posts in these thread with a grain of salt. You know, I'm not going to put much of an effort forth to make a resonable post, not in topics that end up like this.

MuGen
04-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Hmmmm....

Darren, I call you highlander cuz of the mcleod part... thats about it... no offence there...I like Highlander the series and the movies.

And....uhmm.... yeah...

Jonbo298
04-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Now now, no penis sucking for joo :p

DarrenMcLeod
04-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Hmmmm....

Darren, I call you highlander cuz of the mcleod part... thats about it... no offence there...I like Highlander the series and the movies.

And....uhmm.... yeah...
Yeah, I figured as much. At first i thought you were thinking I was from Scotland or something, and just wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't.

Never watched Highlander.

Crash
04-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Highlander is Duncan McCloud

Darentendo is Darren McLeod

are they pronounced the same? Are they spelled the same?

Null
04-08-2005, 11:32 PM
What? you cant figure it out? ;)

Dyne
04-09-2005, 05:46 AM
Alright, party's over, guys.