PDA

View Full Version : Quake IV for PS3 and Xbox 360

MuGen
04-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Speaking at a launch event for the Xbox version of Doom 3, id Software's CEO Todd Hollenshead confirmed Quake IV will be playable at QuakeCon X, before going on to speak about the development of id games on next-generation platforms.

Prompted by a question from the crowd, Hollenshead spoke frankly about the development of future id games - including Quake IV - on next-gen consoles, pointing out that it's in the company's financial interest to do so.

"Future console development is really more of a financial question than anything else," he pointed out. "Over the past few years, PC game sales have either declined a little bit or stayed relatively flat, while console game sales have seen mostly double-digit growth."

However, despite mooting the importance of console development, Hollenshead was unsure as to whether these versions of games would appear at the same time as the primarily-PC-developed versions.

"I don't know if we'll be releasing multiple SKUs at the same time, but as for PS3 and Xbox 2 and so on, yes, we will continue our development effort on the consoles," he confirmed.

When asked why only one of the current-gen machines received a version of Doom 3, Hollenshead pointed out the decision was a result of technical limitations rather than an allegiance to one particular console.

"Xbox was the only viable choice," he said. "We could probably get the game to run on other consoles, but the frame rate wouldn't be steady, and we'd have to make too many compromises."

Hollenshead was also keen to dispel any rumours suggesting the Xbox-only decision was the result of a Microsoft cash bung. "Microsoft didn't pay us anything to choose Xbox," he insisted. "It's simply the only console currently available that can handle our game with the intended results."

Article: http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=35194&subsectionid=1584

Seems interesting enough.... Xbox at the current generation is the only console to handle Doom 3. But in terms of the next-gen, it seems the PS3 and Xbox 360 are almost as powerful as one another to have Quake IV on both consoles.

Jonbo298
04-06-2005, 09:50 PM
In actuality, Doom 3 had to be dumbed down a decent amount for the Xbox. Any of the 3 consoles could've handled Doom 3 but at different levels in looks.

But hopefully Nintendo starts swaying companies like iD and getting the SKU/SDKs and specs out otherwise it could hurt them again by not learning from past mistakes :)

Null
04-07-2005, 09:18 AM
i HOPE, HOPE HOPE HOPE, xbox2 and ps3 have usb keyboard and mouse support. i have a feeling they might. but if they have that, AND have built in HD's, its quite possible versions of games for the consoles like these, could be identicle to the pc version, and if so, able to play online with the pc version. HD's would let them download mods and updates for the game like normal.

i have some REALLY high hopes for FPS console games next gen. i want to be able to play some of these people online using a keyboard and mouse so i can find someone using a controller. muhahahaha. *imagines the blood bath...*

MuGen
04-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Well you've been able to use mouse and keyboard with PS2's usb ports but you need games that support it.

Null
04-07-2005, 10:45 AM
rarely happened. but sony coulda made it so every game had support without the games needing to make it support themselves. so im hopping next gen consoles add the support in the consoles, that way it doesnt matter what the game developers want, you can use what you want on any game.

MuGen
04-07-2005, 10:46 AM
But you know I often question why you would want that kinda stuff on next-gen consoles, especially if they are ports. Just play the PC version...lol

Null
04-07-2005, 10:50 AM
But you know I often question why you would want that kinda stuff on next-gen consoles, especially if they are ports. Just play the PC version...lol

because eventually, the way they're building up, they will be the same game. able to play together over the internet. its very possible as programing these games becomes closer that they can release em all at the same time. all have updates at the same time. all have the same mods able to work with em. I wouldnt mind playin some of these games on consoles IF i had the same level of control and flexibility i have on PC.