PDA

View Full Version : PSP vs. DS (1st Week Sales Numbers)

MuGen
04-06-2005, 03:37 PM
CNN Money:

The Nintendo DS, which many say the PSP competes with, sold 500,000 units in its first seven days on the market in North America. The DS, however, went on sale during the 2004 holiday season which is typically a much busier sales period.

PSP has come close to shipping its target 1 million units in North America, with a range of 475,000 to 575,000 sold to date in the U.S. with roughly another 250,000 to 300,000 in the channel," wrote McNealy, who said he still believes Sony will sell 4.5 million to 5.5 million PSPs in North America this calendar year.

Considering the fact that the PSP launched outside of holiday season, I'd say they did better in sales with a range from 475,000 to 575,000.

They would've sold more around the holiday season. But around March... only people with jobs could buy it, where as Christmas, kids and adults alike can get it for presents and such.

GameMaster
04-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Now, now... no excusing the PSP's smaller sales on the lack of a holiday season :nono:

It's only natural the DS would sell more. It's cheaper in price and is backed by a company with a successful history in handheld gaming.

When Sony has released about 6 or 7 handhelds and it doesn't do as well, then you can blame it on holidays. But for now, you'll just need to accept Sony will have trouble swaying gamers who have enjoyed Nintendo's handheld legacy for all these years.

Canyarion
04-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Yeah right. :rolleyes:

MuGen
04-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Now, now... no excusing the PSP's smaller sales on the lack of a holiday season :nono:

It's only natural the DS would sell more. It's cheaper in price and is backed by a company with a successful history in handheld gaming.

When Sony has released about 6 or 7 handhelds and it doesn't do as well, then you can blame it on holidays. But for now, you'll just need to accept Sony will have trouble swaying gamers who have enjoyed Nintendo's handheld legacy for all these years.

Smaller sales? It ranged from 475,000 to 575,000 units, as Sony Research has not yet released their official number, but independent analysts report around that range.

Now... considering the time of season, that range is considerably high compared to the DS right about now.

EDIT: No where in that analysis did it say PSP had smaller sales... so where is my motive for creating excuses for it?

DarkMaster
04-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Oh come on, anyone who pretends that it wouldn't have sold more during the holidays than during March is clearly a crazy nut. Some people are still paying off Christmas bills in March.

GameMaster
04-06-2005, 05:01 PM
This will not be debated. You will allow Sony more time to create a reputation for themselves and be patient.

MuGen
04-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Reputation?.....

Sony has a reputation already, considering they are the champion of this generation's consoles.

Although I will allow the 'PSP' some time. I think about 6 million units should sell in the next year. /sarcasm.

GameMaster
04-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Champion? You can get off your high horse right now, Junior. Sony is not this generation's console champion. Juts because it sold the most doesn't make it the winner. The Champion is decided by several factors which cannot be counted until the generation ends.

If you try to pull another stunt like this, I'll prosecute in a GT Court Trial.

MuGen
04-06-2005, 05:09 PM
me thinks you need to get off YOUR high horse. Sales determine the winner, because more people like the system.

You think the system would sell a lot if people didn't LIKE it?

jeepnut
04-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Ah. Another GM vs. Kyuzo argument. Pointless and yet still so entertaining.

MuGen
04-06-2005, 05:46 PM
as pointless as it is, I really don't try to fabricate things like this. My opinions are often traduced by GM....
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif'

Perfect Stu
04-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Oh come on, anyone who pretends that it wouldn't have sold more during the holidays than during March is clearly a crazy nut. Some people are still paying off Christmas bills in March.

crazy nut: something a squirrel pursues that is out of its mind; GameMaster

PS2. highest console sales, more than 4x its nearest competitor, and highest software attatchment rate

I think the :nono: should be directed at you, my man (GM). Keep on rocking, though :rock:

Stonecutter
04-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Enough.