PDA

View Full Version : What makes you buy a game?

MuGen
04-05-2005, 03:49 PM
To you, what makes a game make you want to buy it?

Dark Samurai
04-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Gameplay, if I had to choose one. But for me the real answer would be overall...

MuGen
04-05-2005, 04:21 PM
The question here is the deciding factor.

Say... The game is awesome is all categories, but one category stands out, and makes you buy the game, what category would that be....

Canyarion
04-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Gameplay of course. If a game's gorgeous to look at, but plays terrible, I won't buy it.

Perhaps if the story, graphics and everything else is perfect, but the gameplay 'only' decent, I'd still get it (an example would be... perhaps Rogue Leader [gameplay could have been better, but the rest makes up for it]).

Perfect Stu
04-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Whether or not it's a Playstation exclusive.

If it is, I'll pick it up regardless of how it plays, looks, sounds etc.

If not...I'm not going to support that trash

Canyarion
04-05-2005, 04:58 PM
I like your style, +rep.

Perfect Stu
04-05-2005, 05:28 PM
I like your style, +rep.

I like your taste in style types. +rep

MuGen
04-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Can I get some +rep for bringing your style and taste in styles together? :p

Typhoid
04-05-2005, 05:47 PM
For me its not just one overall factor.

Its 3 of those: Gameplay, Graphics, and Storyline.

I dont want to play a game with a good storyling, but ****ty graphics and gameplay. Or a good looking game with ****ty gameplay and storyline, and so on.

I dont think you can measure it up to one thing for anyone. Nobody says "Well, this game is ****, but it looks good, so I'll buy it." or "I cant make out the faces on these people, but I heard the storyline is good, so I'll bear through the mongloid-esque characters."

Bond
04-05-2005, 05:54 PM

LOL. +rep

Vampyr
04-05-2005, 05:58 PM
To me, it's all about style and fun/cool factor.

I guess that falls into gameplay, but certain graphical elements contribute, and if the story is really really original it also contributes.

MuGen
04-05-2005, 06:00 PM
You guys are misunderstanding the point of this poll.......

This poll isn't measuring what makes a game good for you in terms of the other factors sucking.

THE MAIN QUESTION IS "OUT OF THOSE ASPECTS, WHICH DO YOU LOOK FOR FIRST?"

Are you into games that have good storylines, or good graphics? The other aspects don't have to be a disappointment.... the WHOLE GAME could have 10's all around for Graphics, Gameplay, Sound, and Story but what do you LOOK FOR FIRST

Is that any more coherent?

For Example:

For me, I look at the story first, then I judge the other aspects. I don't buy a good story but crappy graphics. BUT.... I do look for a good story in a game first before anything else.

Canyarion
04-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Again: gameplay. As should every serious gamer.

Graphics: film-fan
Sound: music-lover
Story: book-worm

MuGen
04-05-2005, 06:15 PM
You are totally wrong with the Storyline stereo type...

Considering the only books I've read in my life were the ones required by the Institution of Education.

When I play through a game, I'd like it to be an enjoyable experience and I'd like for myself to experience a story unfold, rather then sit there for hours playing for example 'Mercenaries'...........

The best story I've ever played through would have to be MGS3 Snake Eater and Final Fantasy X. Both games have excellent graphics/sound/gameplay... but the story was just so compelling in both.

Swan
04-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Got to go with gameplay on this one. That's what I try to find out first.

Typhoid
04-05-2005, 06:22 PM
I felt sorry for the sound column...Since for me its a combination of the top 3, I just picked sound.

GameMaster
04-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Gameplay, it has to be enjoyable to play.

Teuthida
04-05-2005, 06:32 PM

I've heard that for cubers. Didn't know it went across the boards. Interesting.

Sadly I too pick exclusives over non. Don't own a single game that isn't a cube exclusive unless you count Ikargua and Viewtiful Joe though those are special cases.

Other than that. Gameplay first. Graphics and sound are merely an added bonus. As for story if its a good one sure. If not I rather there not be one at all...SMS...*sigh* For RPGs story is big though...cause the gameplay is usually moderate anyway. You need some reason to spend hours picking out moves and items through a series of menus...that in itself ain't fun. And sound...well Lumines is pretty boring game without any sound. In conclusion, if gameplay sucks one of the other catagories can disguise the game as good.

DimHalo
04-05-2005, 06:33 PM
I voted for gameplay because I think it best sums up my game choices. I usually buy a game if I expect it to be fun:

For example,

any Zelda game because I have enjoyed prior games.
Mario Tennis or Mario Kart because previous platforms were good
mario golf rented and enjoyed...

etc.

Fox 6
04-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Gameplay, a second fro me would be Graphics/ sound
I mean If a game is super fun, and looks/ sounds great who gives a hell about a story. Well i'm sure someone would. but not me.

Dyne
04-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Here's my checklist when buying games, in order of importance:

[ ] Will this game be able to occupy me for three hours straight, if not more?
[ ] Is this game Japanese?

Sometimes the second option is nullified. i.e., Metroid Prime, Secret of Evermore, Eternal Darkness.

Japanese games are superior.

MuGen
04-06-2005, 02:34 AM
Here's my checklist when buying games, in order of importance:

[ ] Will this game be able to occupy me for three hours straight, if not more?
[ ] Is this game Japanese?

Sometimes the second option is nullified. i.e., Metroid Prime, Secret of Evermore, Eternal Darkness.

Japanese games are superior.

You are so speaking the truth.... as is the case with Japanese consoles as well...

Bube
04-06-2005, 04:28 AM
Gameplay for me. And the movies I download from IGN.

MuGen
04-06-2005, 04:22 PM
now everyone is starting to understand this thread.