PDA

View Full Version : FTP

Vampyr
03-19-2005, 11:47 AM
So you guys know that I've been designing things in photoshop for a long time, and that my photomanipulation skills have really really improved since I first arrived here at GT.

I recently decided to take it to the next level and finally make my own website. It's going to require me to learn to make some of my own graphics, instead of just manipulating others, and to learn...programming. blech. Kyuzo gave me a great site to start learning at, called webmonkey.com. I've been reading this morning about programming, and I realize I need an FTP client.

I want it to be able to do this stuff:

Has an easy to use interface that clearly displays both the local (your computer) and remote (the FTP server) locations

Has a tool to manage multiple login accounts on multiple servers

Logs your FTP sessions

Provides a way to select between active and passive FTP when connecting

Auto-detects or warns you when ASCII mode is required

Allows you to set folder and file permissions on the server (essential when installing a server-side application such as Moveable Type)

Allows anonymous FTP

I also want it to be free, or...maybe if you have a copy of it you could let me "borrow" or "purchase" via the internet, that would be good to. You'll also have to let me "borrow" a security code, or I could find a crack for it.

Also, I was just wondering if there is a big interest in programming here at GT? If there is I will make a thread where we can discuss it.

*edit

Since I'm so damn impatient today, I'll offer 50 doubloons to anyone that can find me a good one. Now get on it!

Dyne
03-19-2005, 01:33 PM
We use WS_FTP at SFU. You can go to download.com and download it for free, if you find the right version. They also have a more aesthetically pleasing one called "WS_FTP Home" which is only available free as a trial.

But yeah, WS_FTP.

And I'd be down on a programming thread, because that is my major, and I like it a lot.

Vampyr
03-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks Dyne, I think I'll just hope on Limewire and find it, though. heh.

I've also found another one called CuteFTP that looks really good.

I'll wire you your doubloons.

Blackmane
03-19-2005, 01:53 PM
I'm learning programming as well, although I am not that far into the major yet. I can still try to help.

Anyways, I use WS_FTP as well. You should just download in off the internet, because Its a little more secure (I don't like dling .exe files off filesharers).

Null
03-19-2005, 02:07 PM
I dont do a whole lot with FTP anymore, i used to use it a lot, used CuteFTP.

right now for the few things i use FTP for anymore, i prefer the FireFTP plugin for Firefox :) very handy having a quick way to reach an ftp client right from the web browser, then when i find a ftp site i want to log into, i click and it opens right up for me all inside the firefox program.

i love firefox. hehe

but i havnt used it enough to know if it does everything you want one for.

Vampyr
03-19-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

And blackmane, I would use the net, but I can't seem to find the free one that doesn't involve a trial.

And it may be a good idea for someone with a little more knowledge to start the programming thread...seeing as how I have no clue what I'm doing.

Stray_Bullet
03-19-2005, 02:57 PM
For TKE, I used Dreamweaver and Freehost. Freehost had a lot of banners... but I killed those with the help of Spike.

Vampyr
03-19-2005, 03:09 PM
For TKE, I used Dreamweaver and Freehost. Freehost had a lot of banners... but I killed those with the help of Spike.

How do you get to the FTP in dreamweaver?

GameMaster
03-19-2005, 03:43 PM
Here's another one, it's a little late but it's always good to have options. :)

http://www.download.com/Core-FTP-Lite/3000-2160_4-10256215.html?tag=lst-0-14

I'd love to particpate in your programming thread also. I took a web design course last semester. I might suggest to you to find DreamWeaver on Limewire. That's what we used in the class. And it offers two ways to design websites. The first way is the classic code way, and then there's another way called layer mode. In layer mode, you literally drag and drop images, text, etc. where you want it and then it just stays there and is ready to be put on the web. That's how I designed the site for my final and it worked great.

Vampyr
03-19-2005, 03:45 PM
Here's another one, it's a little late but it's always good to have options. :)

http://www.download.com/Core-FTP-Lite/3000-2160_4-10256215.html?tag=lst-0-14

I'd love to particpate in your programming thread also. I took a web design course last semester. I might suggest to you to find DreamWeaver on Limewire. That's what we used in the class. And it offers two ways to design websites. The first way is the classic code way, and then there's another way called layer mode. In layer mode, you literally drag and drop images, text, etc. where you want it and then it just stays there and is ready to be put on the web. That's how I designed the site for my final and it worked great.

Thanks for the link, GM, and I already have DreamWeaver. :cool:

I found a good FTP a little bit ago called "LeechFTP", and it seems to be doing everything I want it to do.