PDA

View Full Version : Iwata Speakeths

Jonbo298
03-04-2005, 04:42 PM
March 4, 2005 - In a recent interview with overseas trade publication MCV, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata talked about the company's forthcoming home console, codenamed Revolution. Iwata reiterated that the platform would be fundamentally different from other game systems, and said that its unique make-up could potentially alienate third party publishers, or in contrast draw them in.

"If the next generation platforms are going to create even more gorgeous looking games using further enhanced functionality, and if that next-gen market can still expand the games industry, then I'm afraid that third-parties may not support Nintendo," he said.

Iwata once more compared Revolution to Nintendo DS, and said that like its portable the machine could gain the eye of consumers who normally don't care about games. "On the other hand, what we are trying to do is such a different thing, and people have come to realize that the approach we have taken with Nintendo DS can actually expand the market beyond what existing platforms can do. Therefore I believe there should be more third parties who are willing to support Nintendo's new ideas."

Nintendo's president suggested that third party support for Revolution could depend entirely on whether or not publishers find the console appealing. "If we receive the support of the licensees, I believe we will expand third party support," he said. "If our ideas cannot be appealing enough, then we cannot receive third party support."

Iwata indicated that the next-generation is a risky business for all hardware manufacturers and not just Nintendo. "Already publishers are not hesitant in disclosing their concerns over next generation gaming platforms, and development costs are rising. Publishers are afraid... of whether [the next-gen] consoles can appeal to people who are not the avid game fans of today."

Nintendo plans to unveil Revolution at the May Electronics Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles. Stay tuned for more on the machine.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/593/593733p1.html

Interesting news, nonetheless. Sony fanboys are probably going "hahaha, Nintendo will lose next gen without 3rd party, they admit it!" ;)

But all will unravel in a few years, only time will tell.

GameMaster
03-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Nintendo stands solid in its beliefs. I respect a company with such bold loyalty to their causes and dreams.

Dark Samurai
03-04-2005, 04:51 PM
Nintendo will hold their own in the next generation, no problem, then maybe, they'll take it also...

Neo
03-04-2005, 04:56 PM
There they go again with the "this console is totally different" remarks. I fear that whatever Nintendo has come up with will be labeled as a gimmick right from the start. I see Nintendo remaining in third place while holding on to their own cult-like following.

Plus all this secrecy really pisses me off. Developers are already excited about what they can do with the PS3 and Xbox 2 and are throwing their attentions in that direction. If they continue to hear nothing from Nintendo then by the time Nintendo does say something it will be too late. Developers may create revolution games as an after thought but their primary focus will be the other two consoles. If Nintendo plans to launch Revolution sometime in 2006 but not reveal their technology until May of this year then developers will have little time to come up with anything to support the system, especially since they're already busy with PS3 and Xbox 2 projects.

Jonbo298
03-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Its fine if Nintendo either stays in third or goes to 3rd place (no one knows :p ). As long as they try new things, it cant hurt the industry that much, IMO. But I think next gen games aren't gonna be as different looking as this gen. Yes, more solid framerates and more poly's but its not gonna be as large a boost as going from '64 to GC or PS to PS2

MuGen
03-04-2005, 05:31 PM
I agree with Neo... Nintendo should reveal at least speculated specs to the system instead of leaving third party developers in the dark.

Jonbo298
03-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Thats what E3 is for :p

But I seriously think that some developers know what Revolution is all about and making games for it, but not saying anything under an NDA or something until E3

KillerGremlin
03-04-2005, 07:29 PM
I think gamecube was the warmup. Look at this generation or the next one for Nintendo to get its ass kicked.

Teuthida
03-04-2005, 08:59 PM
*sigh* Sadly I do not see the Revolution doing well. Seems to be a specialty case. Most likely third parties won't be able to port games onto it without making dramatic changes because of how Revolution will be played. A good comparison I think is that the Revolution are bongos and PS3/Xbox 2 is a standard controller. While bongos can be fun and allow you to play games differently you aren't gonna be playing Madden with em, nor most games for that matter.

Jonbo298
03-04-2005, 09:45 PM
Yes, unfortunately companies would rather just straight port games then make them more interesting and take advantage of things on each console

BlueFire
03-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Yes, unfortunately companies would rather just straight port games then make them more interesting and take advantage of things on each console
It kinda takes more time and money to do such a thing.

Jonbo298
03-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Thats a given ;)

Teuthida
03-04-2005, 10:53 PM
"If the next generation platforms are going to create even more gorgeous looking games using further enhanced functionality, and if that next-gen market can still expand the games industry, then I'm afraid that third-parties may not support Nintendo,"

When translated probably it actually sounds more like:

"If next generation developers will just make prettier versions of this generation's games, I'm afraid they won't be too interested in what Nintendo has to offer."

Sounds much better. :) But still...the unique factor of the Revolution turning off developers is there.

Jonbo298
03-04-2005, 10:59 PM
I agree Danny. Trying to be unique in the Gaming Industry is "bad" :(

KillerGremlin
03-04-2005, 11:52 PM

Dude, the industry is founded on money. Money makes the world turn...so why spend more money to make a game when you can do it for cheap?

Jonbo298
03-04-2005, 11:55 PM
Thanks for pointing out the obvious :)

KillerGremlin
03-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Thanks for pointing out the obvious :)

Touché.

Canyarion
03-05-2005, 12:55 PM
I still expect the Revolution to be so awesome that nobody can go without it...

Even with only 1st and 2nd party games it will be enough. :) Look at the N64 and GCN, the best selling games were those.

Blackmane
03-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Nintendo can't keep on going without some 3rd party support. It needs to be able to reel in some games that way or else nobody but people who only want Nintendo games will buy the console.

Solid Snake
03-05-2005, 02:48 PM
I still have hopes for Nintendo, I think the Revolution will start out slow but earn more and more 3rd party support even if it is unique. Nintendo will make something that will appeal to most people. Hopefully they have learned from their mistakes, such as Virtual Boy, and will not make another blunder.

At the same time I don't want to get my expectations to high for the revolution becaus there is not very many games or hardware that will live up to its' hype.

Perfect Stu
03-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Sony fanboys are probably going "hahaha, Nintendo will lose next gen without 3rd party, they admit it!" ;).

Every PS2 owner I know really doesnt concern themselves with other companies or systems. They just enjoy their games, and the more the better. Personally, I've been labelled as a "Sony fanboy" around here, and I wish Nintendo the best. Nintendo got me into gaming, they've produced some of the best games ever, and I know how important solid competition and quality is to the gaming industry.

I really think most people no longer concern themselves with the "console war" stuff, which is great...as long as their favourite companies are doing well, it's all good.

I mean, if I really was this standout Sony fanboy, I would post console sales all the time in the Dungeon forum, and then say things like "OWNED, LOLZ HOW MANY WEEKS IS THAT? AM I RITE?" :p ;)

Perfect Stu
03-05-2005, 07:25 PM
I agree Danny. Trying to be unique in the Gaming Industry is "bad" :(

nah...uniquness isnt necessarily BAD, it's just risky.

If Nintendo can get a completely new and original product out there and OUTSELL its competition, then developers will see it as the right market to spend their money in. They'll make Nintendo exclusive games, because their target audience would be bigger.

But if XBox 2 or PS3 takes a galloping lead, it's pretty easy to pick which train to jump on

gekko
03-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Since when was there all this information on PS3 and Xbox 2? It's all speculation, you really don't know anything. Microsoft has partnerships with IBM for a PowerPC-based CPU and ATI for the GPU. Nintendo has the same. Wow, I'm so excited about Xbox 2! Too bad Nintendo won't say anything!

Anyway, going revolutionary, if it indeed is, has it's obvious risks, but I don't think alienating 3rd party developers is one of them, unless we see high development costs. Sure they can't port titles and make some easy money, oh well. Despite the impression internet message boards leave, games are an entertainment medium. No matter how radical of a concept Nintendo might use, if it entertains us, we will buy it, and love it. As long as people own it, developers will make games for it, and if it's really a good idea, game designers will want to see what they can do.

But basing everything off Nintendo's marketing ploy "Revolution" is not smart.

Jonbo298
03-06-2005, 08:52 PM
I dont base anything off hype. I'd rather see reviews/user feedback for decisions on something :)

DarrenMcLeod
03-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't think this "revolution" is as big as everyone is making it sound. Nintendo isn't a bunch of idiots, and they don't want to die from trying something new. They aren't going to make it a completely new thing that is completely different than all the other consoles out there. That wouldn't make any sense.

They realize you need to have lots of different genres.... sports, FPS, platform, adventure, tec, so they will have that covered. They know that people want 4 player gaming, so that will be in there too. I don't know what it is they are doing, but I'm hoping for the best.

Jonbo298
03-07-2005, 08:18 AM
I agree Darren. It may turn out to not be as "big" as Nintendo claims but who knows, thats what E3 is for. I remember them hyping up the GBA/GC connection only to have it kind of fall short

MuGen
03-07-2005, 12:27 PM
I agree with Perfect Stu.... It doesn't matter which console does better or has more support in the long run, because eventually Nintendo fans will support Nintendo no matter what, Microsoft fans will support Microsoft, and Sony fans will support Sony.

Through thick and thin, I've seen more Nintendo fans in this forum with more respect and support for Nintendo then any other company, and Nintendo is the one losing ground in the console industry according to demographics and charts. Having only the handheld market at it's strongest core. But Nintendo fans on GT still remain strong, and that spirit is a good one.

So whatever happens..... Respective fans will have their respective brands. The Sixers for me have not won a championship since 1983 but I stick with my favorite brand in that of Allen Iverson and one day they will be champions... maybe even this season.

Teuthida
03-07-2005, 03:28 PM
^ I didn't like Casshern (though sig is purdy). :(

But I agree with the post agreeing with the other post. :)
It'll take quite a few more gens for Nintendo fans to completely reject Nintendo.

MuGen
03-07-2005, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't say Reject... just accept the inevitable.

Sidenote: How can you not like Casshern? The movie I thought looked like an anime and it added that kinda atmosphere I needed to see a movie of the genre. Sure the movie would seem overly cosmetic and artificial but the story was very compelling and had me breathless (although it took me 2 times to fully understand what was going on)

Crash
03-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Tomorrow IWATA spills the beans on either the DS or the Revolution or both...

Vbookies start your engines!!!!!!!!!

Jonbo298
03-09-2005, 03:24 PM
*vroom vroom*? :p