PDA

View Full Version : DS Online Predictions:

Crash
03-03-2005, 12:27 AM
Voice Chat protocols

Quote:
Many ideas are still to be designed and tested, but the first to come out of prototyping should be wireless voice chat - and protocols are already being developed by Nintendo. This could be an important step for the machine, in light of Japan's typically rabid adoption of wireless. Nintendo may find the DS has a double life as a communications tool - ironic considering its positioning as a 'pure' gaming device rather than Sony's convergance-based vision of the future.

Internet browsing, protocols, interfacing with PCs.
Square Enix and the PlayOnline service

Quote:
Other companies are already developing internet browsing interfaces and protocols, and Bandai revealed that it already has the DS successfully interacting with PCs. Square Enix also intimated that it is experimenting with enabling the DS to interact with its own PlayOnline service (which supports Final Fantasy XI, among other titles).

Up to 32 players locally?

Quote:
Even without PC connections, the DS's potential could be even greater than Nintendo is predicting - other developers confirmed they already have 32-machine networks operational, a massive step up from the conservative eight players Nintendo is currently willing to guaruntee.

E3 2005 earmarked

Quote:
However, these developments won't become available immediately. Several companies suggested that it wouldn't be until E3 next year that they could show the kind of advanced and ambitious games which could take full advantage of the DS's potential.

=================================================

IGN.COM - DS CHANNEL

January 24, 2005:

Originally Posted by Craig Harris, IGN DS:
In the meantime, however, there's been rumblings at Nintendo that indicate that the company will finally unwrap its DS online plans very very soon. As it goes, Nintendo left the keys to the WiFi car in the hands of the third-party developers, but the third-party developers didn't want to drive it without Nintendo making the engine. So, as a result, if we've been hearing things correctly, Nintendo will finally and very, very soon, reveal its own "Xbox Live" like service for developers to adopt. And the first game out of Nintendo to use this service will be one of those massively killer Nintendo brands that people have been wanting to play online for years...

February 18 2005

Hey Craig, I recall in a couple mailbag's back, that you mentioned Nintendo having a "surprise" annoucement, and it would be told to the public sooner rather than later. As a result of course, the DS boards went into a frenzy trying to figure out just what you were trying to say. Care to clarify? Right now we haven't heard anything from Nintendo regarding a PDA component or online of any kind and it would be appreciated if you elborated on what you exactly you meant. Thanks.

dalexc

Originally Posted by Craig Harris, IGN DS:
Everyone wants to play Nintendo DS multiplayer games online. That's a given. Game developers aren't going to put time into WiFi until Nintendo backs the idea for itself. And we're pretty confident that Nintendo's got something brewing here, and it won't be very long now before Nintendo drops the big "Nintendo DS is online" bomb on the clamoring public. After all, the PSP is going to be WiFi online with a handful of titles on Day One, and I don't think Nintendo's going to tell their millions of DS owners that "online is just a fad" again. Ain't gonna happen.

2 March 05

Hey guys I just wanted to know have you heard about DS going online? Iv'e heard some rumours but they can obviously be false. And if it infact may go online, how will they conect it? I was thinking wireless router, that could be usefull because i already have one and it sends internet connection to three computer's so if it is going to go online it would be very easy for people who already have them. What are your thought's on it?

Nadir

Quote:
The Nintendo DS is 802.11 compliant. If the game supports that protocol, the system will sniff out a compatible wireless signal, like one that's emitted by your wireless router, and grab an IP address so it can connect to the internet. So far no game has this support, but we're expecting Nintendo's not going to ignoring this function much longer...

GAMESPOTS PREDICTIONS FOR 2005

"Nintendo will become cool again"

I think these would make great online titles for the DS:

Smash Brothers
Animal Crossing
Mario Kart
Metroid Hunters
Pokemon RPG
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals

THE GAME DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE WITH IWATA'S SPEECH
IS IN A FEW DAYS MARCH 10th

Jonbo298
03-03-2005, 09:29 AM
The 2 big games I want to play online are Animal Crossing and SSB :D

MuGen
03-03-2005, 10:51 AM
yeah Smash Brothers would dominate online play... even I'd be on there

Blackmane
03-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Oh my, I think if they put SSB online on either the DS or GBA 2, they would bring alot of people into the Nintendo handheld camp.

Dark Samurai
03-03-2005, 11:37 AM
If they bring any kind of SSB online it would dominate /fanboyism

MuGen
03-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Well I wouldn't be in the nintendo handheld camp but I'd be in the outskirts playing SSB....

other than that... PSP does it for me....

I believe SSB is one of my favorite gamecube games, and 64 games.

GameMaster
03-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Super Smash Bros. defines the fighting genre.

There has to be 100 different characters. And NONE of them can be clones with similar moves or appearances to other characters.

MuGen
03-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Now now now... I wouldn't even go there GameMaster....

The fighting genre is defined by Capcom and SNK.... they are the kings of fighters.

Super Smash Brothers is more brawler than fighting. Capcom/SNK will never die in my eyes as the "King of Fighters" <~~no pun intended.

EDIT: If you are referring to the Ryu, Ken, Akuma theme... they are all students of Hadou Shotokan..... there is a deep story behind a lot of the characters that Capcom and SNK create.... so just looking at them and saying they are clones and have the same moves isn't enough.

bobcat
03-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Now now now... I wouldn't even go there GameMaster....

The fighting genre is defined by Capcom and SNK.... they are the kings of fighters.

Super Smash Brothers is more brawler than fighting. Capcom/SNK will never die in my eyes as the "King of Fighters" <~~no pun intended.

EDIT: If you are referring to the Ryu, Ken, Akuma theme... they are all students of Hadou Shotokan..... there is a deep story behind a lot of the characters that Capcom and SNK create.... so just looking at them and saying they are clones and have the same moves isn't enough.

I'm not sure about story etc, but gameplay wise CVS2 is pretty damn good.

I'm a big fan of 3rd strike and KOF as well. MVC2 is pretty fun as well. Then there's VF4, and Tekken 5.

Wow so many fighting games. I think SF2 defined the fighting genre to be honest.

Canyarion
03-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Street Fighter 2..... :love: The only fighting game I truly enjoyed.

MuGen
03-03-2005, 04:22 PM
I'm not sure about story etc, but gameplay wise CVS2 is pretty damn good.

I'm a big fan of 3rd strike and KOF as well. MVC2 is pretty fun as well. Then there's VF4, and Tekken 5.

Wow so many fighting games. I think SF2 defined the fighting genre to be honest.

Well I've watched the Anime's (Animated Movie, Fatal Fury, Street Fighter V series) and everyone has a lot of in depth story.

Even new characters in third strike have some brief history to them.

for some reason no one likes SVC Chaos..... :mad:

Teuthida
03-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Thought of this comic from reading the argument above.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/050110.jpg

:D

Jonbo298
03-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Nice :)