PDA

View Full Version : Ps3 & The New NVidia GeForce

MuGen
03-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and NVIDIA Corporation have announced today that the companies have been collaborating on bringing advanced graphics technology and computer entertainment technology to SCEI's highly anticipated next-generation computer entertainment system (PlayStation 3). Both companies are jointly developing a custom graphics processing unit (GPU) incorporating NVIDIA's next-generation GeForce and SCEI's system solutions for next-generation computer entertainment systems featuring the Cell* processor.

full article: http://playstation.about.com/od/ps3/a/NVIDIAinPS3.htm

Okay... so Sony isn't going with ATI... still... this has me excited as I've played Unreal Tournament on Nvidia video cards before and they are amazing!

Jonbo298
03-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Interesting

Blackmane
03-02-2005, 12:57 PM
Interesting on them switching.

I have always liked nVidia, but I thought that ATI made better cards, just more expensive ones that I was not willing to buy.

Anyways, hope it turns out good for Sony.

MuGen
03-02-2005, 01:53 PM
I like NVIDIA's power to render environments, and ATI's processing power under a lot of load.

KillerGremlin
03-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Meh.....nvidia is decent....I prefer ATI for overall performance though.

MuGen
03-02-2005, 02:37 PM
yeah but they are developing a new GeForce exclusively for the PS3 so we know not what this entails..... maybe a gorgeous processor with beautiful render power.

Dark Samurai
03-02-2005, 05:30 PM
yeah but they are developing a new GeForce exclusively for the PS3 so we know not what this entails..... maybe a gorgeous processor with beautiful render power.

With tremendous load times...

MuGen
03-02-2005, 05:33 PM
I can't find a system that doesn't need any load time.... fast or not... loading is part of life in multimedia....

GameMaster
03-02-2005, 05:58 PM
I like NVIDIA's power to render environments, and ATI's processing power under a lot of load.

I can vouch for that statement, the nVidia card in my iMac made playing Nanosaur a thrill. The environment was one of the prime aspects of the game. Same with Bugdom.

Dark Samurai
03-02-2005, 06:01 PM
I can't find a system that doesn't need any load time.... fast or not... loading is part of life in multimedia....

All cartridge based games didnt need load time, unless you were talking about disc based games, then, yeah youre right...

The Duggler
03-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Nintendo does it well.

Sure it loads, but it does it in a way that we don't even notice it.

Dark Samurai
03-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Yeah look at Metroid Prime 1 and 2

The Duggler
03-03-2005, 01:21 AM
Not just Metroid, all Nintendo games I played didn't seem to load at all.

Jonbo298
03-03-2005, 09:30 AM
Pre-Gamecube that is :p

MuGen
03-03-2005, 10:46 AM
:fanboy: of course you guys say that cuz you've all grown accustomed to your gamecubes. I don't notice long load times anymore on my ps2....

In any case my point was ALL CONSOLES HAVE LOAD TIMES FAST OR SLOW <~~~~~ and I did say that.

...need any load time.... fast or not

And all cartridge based games didn't need load times because they couldn't play live movies. Remember WWF No Mercy when the titan tron videos were slide shows.....

CD's are manufactured differently in that the files are arranged in fragments and so the lense has to adjust to read that segment and then load it.

In any case... All consoles (PS2, XBX, GCN) have load times fast or slow.

Jonbo298
03-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Don't be calling me a fanboy for my comment directly above me if thats what your inferring.

Cartidges still "technically" have loads times but since its constantly being streamed on/off the cart, its not as noticeable.

MuGen
03-03-2005, 11:12 AM
No, I wasn't pointing to you.... theres no smiley that says just fanboy so I had to pick one with the arrow up..... not to you, your hella cool in my book.

EDIT: All you said was pre-gamecube... that doesn't mean anything.... But When I was talking about fast or slow load times, couple of guys started praising the Gamecube which really wasn't necessary in the discussion. LOL.... maybe it was on their part.

Jonbo298
03-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Alrighty

MuGen
03-03-2005, 12:01 PM
No worries...

The Duggler
03-03-2005, 12:52 PM
:fanboy: of course you guys say that cuz you've all grown accustomed to your gamecubes. I don't notice long load times anymore on my ps2....

In any case my point was ALL CONSOLES HAVE LOAD TIMES FAST OR SLOW <~~~~~ and I did say that

Read my posts again brainiac. I said that Nintendo games load, I mean it's impossible not to, but nintendo does it in a way that we don't even notice it. And it's not because we've grown accustomed to it :rolleyes:

I'm not talking about all games on the gamecube, just those published by Nintendo. Games like Wind Waker, Metroid etc... don't have a still screen with an icon telling us it's loading and taking time doing so.

Just take GT4, you have to wait for it to load just to go from the main menu to the option screen. You'll never see that on a nintendo game.

It's a simple fact really.

MuGen
03-03-2005, 01:19 PM
better that then looking at a blank screen wondering if the game froze.

The Duggler
03-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Blank screen?

There is no such thing as a loading state. What is it that you don't understand?

Dark Samurai
03-03-2005, 04:46 PM
better that then looking at a blank screen wondering if the game froze.

Strick, honestly speaking, I've never had a "blank screen" problem with the GC...