PDA

View Full Version : Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath

Vampyr
02-28-2005, 02:44 PM
I recieved "Oddworld: Strangers Wrath" in the mail today, for my Xbox. I bought it off of ebay about a week ago. I'm very glad I did. It's a kick ass game, and the main character's name is "Stranger", and that's just awesome. He is a bad ass lead character. I've never had so much fun in a video game by just running around. If you hold forward long enough, he will switch from running on two legs to running on all fours. While you are doing that, you can run over enemies and other destructible objects.

I also immensely enjoy running as fast as I can, jumping, adn them head butting the enemy. Stranger's main weapon is also very cool. It's a double barreled crossbow that fires LIVE ammo. It's literally alive. I have never attacked enemies with a chipmunk and a "fuzzle" before. Another cool aspect is that you have to HUNT your ammo. So before you can use ammo, you have to shoot it. Now THAT is innovation.

I've only finished two missions, and the first one was like a tutorial, but from what I can see, the "Town" is like a centray hub that the rest of the game branches off from. The main populace seems to be...Chickens. If you run around and punch them, they will go hide in their houses until they think it's safe enough to come back out. I enjoy wacking the chicken to get money.

:D

The game has two camera modes so you can choose which way you play. Sort of. Third person is what you use to run around, and is the perspective that you use to "bag" enemies. You see, Stranger is a bounty hunter, and he wants to collect money for an "operation". I havn't figured out what kind yet. Third person is also the angle you use to head butt enemies and punch them.

When you go first person, you can still run and jump, but you now have access to your double barreled cross bow.

Along with a Health bar, you also have a stamina bar. If you fall from a large distance, the stamina bar takes a hit. When you are standing still you can click the Y button to gain health, but it decreases your stamina bar as you do so.

I give the game a 9.0 out of 10.0, and I would recommend it to anyone that likes action/adventure platform games.

DarkMaster
02-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Just wait until you get to the "twist".

Canyarion
02-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Stranger is in fact Abe. Woops I spoiled it.

How about some pics by the way

And no, he's not Abe. Not that I know.

Vampyr
02-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Stranger is in fact Abe. Woops I spoiled it.

How about some pics by the way

And no, he's not Abe. Not that I know.

I was on a plane halfway to Europe (to kill you), before I read the part about you not being serious. :p

I am eagerly anticipating what the real twist is.

But here are images:

http://www.advanced-gamer.net/index.php?view=image_gallery&game=334

Blackmane
02-28-2005, 03:45 PM
That looks purdy.

Canyarion
02-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Muwahaha I got you there! :p

Looks nice.
A while ago I played Munch Odyssee (the first XB Oddworld game?), it really wasn't that bad! :)

Vampyr
03-02-2005, 02:13 PM
I got to the plot twist today. It was awesome. :D

I think I am very close to beating the game.

MuGen
03-02-2005, 02:42 PM
yeah right.... in the platform games... the twist happens in the beginning... LOL... but you never know.

Vampyr
03-02-2005, 03:32 PM
yeah right.... in the platform games... the twist happens in the beginning... LOL... but you never know.

Mario 64 totally caught be by suprise with its plot twist. I mean, the CAKE! Right from the beginning...

MuGen
03-02-2005, 03:33 PM
CORRECT

Vampyr
03-02-2005, 07:10 PM
I beat the game tonight. I never even saw that second plot twist coming! :D

I can safely say it's one of the best games I've played in a long time. And easily one of the most beautiful games.

But can someone explain something to me:

*SPOILERS*

I don't understand what happened at the end. So the main bad guy was a Steef...but why was he doing what he was doing? And what was up with that squid in the water?