PDA

View Full Version : Walk of Game honors Miyamoto, Mario, Link and more

DarrenMcLeod
02-25-2005, 03:09 PM
SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 23, 2005--Tuesday, March 8th, 2005 will mark a historic day in San Francisco as the first six stars are unveiled on the Walk of Game, the first-of-its-kind destination for gamers worldwide. Walk of Game honors the icons and pioneers of the videogame industry, and this year will celebrate Shigeru Miyamoto (creator of "Mario Brothers" and "Donkey Kong") and Nolan Bushnell (co-founder of Atari and "Pong"), in the Lifetime Achievement category, and Halo, Link (The Legend of Zelda), Mario, and Sonic The Hedgehog in the category for favorite Games/Characters. Inductees will be on hand to meet fans and help shape history at this unprecedented inaugural event.

Gamers worldwide are invited to join the festivities at Metreon on March 8th at 5:00 p.m. as live camera feeds deliver dramatic images to the fans gathered on the Ground Floor. At 5:30 p.m., stars will be unveiled on Level 2 to the fanfare of confetti bursts and live music performances by members of G.A.N.G. (Game Audio Network Guild), and entertainment courtesy of gaming shows like "Gamer Nation" and "The Electric Playground", and a host of other media covering the day's activities.

Every year, www.WalkOfGame.com accepts votes in the categories of Game/Character and Lifetime Achievement. The top four Games/Characters and the top two lifetime achievers are inducted into Walk Of Game and have a 24"x 24", customized star installed on the floors of Metreon, a 350,000 square-foot entertainment center in downtown San Francisco. 2006 nominations will be announced in late 2005.

As a Bay Area destination for the international gaming community, this year Walk of Game is officially partnered with the Game Developers Conference (GDC), which is coming to San Francisco's Moscone Convention Center, March 7-11. The conference is expected to attract over 10,000 attendees and Metreon will be host to several GDC meetings and demo areas. The GDC will feature more than 300 lectures, panels, tutorials and roundtable discussions across seven content tracks. For a complete list of GDC 2005 event information visit www.gdconf.com.

I don't understand why Halo is up there with the likes of Bushnell, Miyamoto, Link, Mario, and Zelda. Halo is a good game (albeit quite overrated), but still, the first inductees should be legends of the gaming... not recent blockbusters.

Thoughts on this?

GameMaster
02-25-2005, 03:16 PM
I can get to the Metreon in about 20 minutes. How about I be the official GameTavern representative? I'll take pictures and video. All I need is for someone to design me a GT t-shirt to wear.

I agree with you on the Halo award. I think it's just a phase. I mean, it seemed like Goldeneye was a lot more popular and 'legendary' than Halo. All the other award receivers are deserving.

MuGen
02-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Halo!??? Not GoldenEye?!? What are these people thinking?

I'm sorry but I must say GoldenEye was the best FPS of it's time.....Halo it's ..legendary.....

I think Bill Gates might've bought a star for $5,000,000,000

DarrenMcLeod
02-25-2005, 04:22 PM
I can get to the Metreon in about 20 minutes. How about I be the official GameTavern representative? I'll take pictures and video. All I need is for someone to design me a GT t-shirt to wear.

Heh, that'd be neat.

I agree with you on the Halo award. I think it's just a phase. I mean, it seemed like Goldeneye was a lot more popular and 'legendary' than Halo. All the other award receivers are deserving.
Yeah, it's kinda lame. 5 years ago we would've had Spyro and Crash Bandicoot go up there, and I think we know how popular those franchises are now...

Crash
02-25-2005, 04:33 PM
i'm going to make a GameTavern T-shirt today... sweatshirt actually!

MuGen
02-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Heh, that'd be neat.

Yeah, it's kinda lame. 5 years ago we would've had Spyro and Crash Bandicoot go up there, and I think we know how popular those franchises are now...

More likely if Halo is going up there Jak & Daxter would be up there too.
So would Metroid...
So Would a lot of games...

HALO DOESN"T BELONG IN THERE!

GameMaster
02-25-2005, 05:17 PM
i'm going to make a GameTavern T-shirt today... sweatshirt actually!

That'd be great! Want to post some pre-production sketches of the sweatshirt's design to arouse rumors and speculation? :)

Blackmane
02-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Hehe...arouse.

Agreed, Halo is good, but not Walk-of-Game-able.

Jonbo298
02-25-2005, 05:53 PM
I agree with 95% of the choices :p

jeepnut
02-26-2005, 11:31 AM
I agree with everyone else. Halo is an awesome game, one of my favorites, but it hasn't stood the test of time. If in 5 years are so, people are still breaking out the Xbox to play Halo, then it desearves its star. Heck, as far as FPS's go, I believe the orriginal Half-Life and especially the add-on Counter-Strike desearves this more.

The results would probably be different if they were voted on by people in the industry instead of your everyday Joe.

Crash
02-26-2005, 01:54 PM
no, halo doesn't deserve to be on there... especially while it's on the current generation.... who inducts players in to the hall of fame in baseball when they are still playing...

jeepnut
02-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Well, I think it is modeled more after the Hollywood Walk of Fame which I believe does induct actors and actresses when they are still acting. However, probably not as quickly as they did for Halo.

Jonbo298
02-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Yeah. Doing this is kind of the same as putting an actor/actress on the hall of fame after only doing 1 or 2 movies, it would be an outrage among the citizens :p

Canyarion
02-27-2005, 04:47 PM
I've understood that like every Halo fan voted about 100 times. :unsure: Something like that.

"Wait a minute :crazy: it's only Nentendo in there! We hatorzzzz Nentendo, let's all v0t0rzz HALO!!!"