PDA

View Full Version : Ps3 Controller... innovative?

Crash
02-25-2005, 03:34 AM
http://img122.exs.cx/img122/9625/sonycontpatent22vf.jpg

http://img122.exs.cx/img122/1667/sonycontpatent35qb.jpg

http://img122.exs.cx/img122/8375/sonycontpatent10ob.jpg

looks like it has a see-saw on the top... analog "bar" good for flight and racing games and stuff... coolio

Canyarion
02-25-2005, 04:19 AM
Those are 2 different versions of the same thing?

MuGen
02-25-2005, 11:11 AM
whoa... the analog bars look like racing pedals lol

Joeiss
02-25-2005, 11:19 AM
If that is the actual thing.. I hope those are sturdy, cuz I can see myself breaking that easily, haha.

Jonbo298
02-25-2005, 11:52 AM
/sarcasm Wow that looks like a gimmick Nintendo would try /sarcasm :p (I'm joking, or am I :hmm: :D )

But that looks interesting. Hopefully its sturdy enough

GameMaster
02-25-2005, 03:27 PM
OMG, they protrude too much from the controller. What an awful design! Looks too delicate too. They need to come up with something a little more sturdy.

Final Thoughts: Send this thing back to the drawing board. Clean up! Aisle 7!

Solid Snake
02-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Hopefully that is not the PS3 controller, it looks very awkward to me.

I think the PS controller needs to evolve more than it has. It is the only system controller that hasn't really changed much and there is room for improvement.

MuGen
02-25-2005, 04:02 PM
I think the only reason they haven't changed it, is so that gamers dont need to adjust when playing next-gen games. However they should add maybe 2 more buttons for convenience.

AzeaL
02-25-2005, 04:09 PM
Personally, I dont think it looks that great. Where the analog sticks are at would be kinda hard to reach if you're trying to play something hard.

Null
02-25-2005, 04:12 PM
OMG, they protrude too much from the controller. What an awful design! Looks too delicate too. They need to come up with something a little more sturdy.

Final Thoughts: Send this thing back to the drawing board. Clean up! Aisle 7!

Hopefully that is not the PS3 controller, it looks very awkward to me.

IF this was or is real, it has nothing to do with how the controller will look. its a patent drawing, the only thing they're meant to do is explain how something works, which is how it gets patented.

It is the only system controller that hasn't really changed much
which imo is a good thing. dont fix what doesnt need to be. :) if they're adding something new they think it needs thats one thing. but its still the best design out there, :p

MuGen
02-25-2005, 04:21 PM
i wonder how someone would play Halo on the original NES controller with Start Select, A and B?

DarrenMcLeod
02-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Date on picture says November 4, 2002. PS2 had only been launched a couple years before... I highly doubt these are legit. What happened to the analog sticks? Nothing on this makes sense. The seesaw wouldn't work for a lot of games because you often need both shoulders at the same time.

dont fix what doesnt need to be. :) if they're adding something new they think it needs thats one thing. but its still the best design out there, :p
There are a few things that need be fixed on the PS2 Controller, it's not perfect. I find the analogs really awkward on it, and it's not that comfortable. Is it the best design? Yes and no. It is the best design in the fact that it is the most versatile, and can be used for tons of different games. I like Cube's better for platformers and racing games, and Zelda and whatnot, and XBox better for FPS.

MuGen
02-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Sorry to tell you but the Cube's analog placements and PS2's analog placements are practically the same. Except they put the Dpad where the left analog would be and the Left Analog with the Dpad would be. So I find it hard to believe that one is more comfortable then the other....

However Xbox is good for FPS games...

Null
02-25-2005, 05:09 PM
There are a few things that need be fixed on the PS2 Controller, it's not perfect. I find the analogs really awkward on it, and it's not that comfortable. Is it the best design? Yes and no. It is the best design in the fact that it is the most versatile, and can be used for tons of different games. I like Cube's better for platformers and racing games, and Zelda and whatnot, and XBox better for FPS.

i really hope the analog sticks never move. they are absolutly perfect where they are. i know many say how awkard they are, which is fine. but most of thoes people (not all) change thier minds after using it for a while. get used to them there and all of a sudden they are wonderfully place. thumbs fall right there every time you pick it up. i often find myself trying to use the dpad when i first pick up a gc controller. i dont like em upper left anymore.

And no controller is good for fps games. :p :D

Solid Snake
02-25-2005, 05:48 PM
I personally think the PS2 contoller is not even close to the best controller out there. Both the GCN and XBox controllers contour to your hands very well so you can have a better hold on the controller.

Yes the PS2 controller works fine, but there are many areas to improve on. Such as the two L and two R buttons are too close together. I sometimes will hit the wrong button on the top, not often. The two joysticks I find are little awkward because there isn't a lot of force feedback.

I'm not saying it's a bad controller it just needs to be refined. It is a lot like a Honda Civic, it works, it's efficient, and it's basic.

Blackmane
02-25-2005, 08:36 PM

Amen brother! We have an accord!!

Keyboard/Mouse for life!!

Jonbo298
02-25-2005, 09:21 PM

Wait...I'm agreeing with Null on something? Thats unpossible!

Null
02-25-2005, 09:25 PM
alright! they all agree with me! im popular! muhahahaha

Stonecutter
02-25-2005, 11:39 PM
Innovative?

I say ****ty.

Bend your fingers like that for a half hour and see how they feel.

DarrenMcLeod
02-26-2005, 03:07 AM
Heh, very true, but I meant out of the three possible selections.

I don't think anyone except an idiot would ever argue that controller is better than mouse and keyboard for FPS.

Null
02-26-2005, 10:01 AM
god i hope all next gen consoles are smart enought to put usb ports on thier consoles, and give you the option of having mouse and keyboard support for games. games like RTS's and FPS's and ones like the Sims and Sim City would REALLY benifit from this.

Happydude
02-26-2005, 10:26 AM
god i hope all next gen consoles are smart enought to put usb ports on thier consoles, and give you the option of having mouse and keyboard support for games. games like RTS's and FPS's and ones like the Sims and Sim City would REALLY benifit from this.
i think that would kinda defeat the purpose of their controllers then...people wouldn't buy any, they would just use their keyboard & mouse.

as for the design on the PS controller, i find it very comfortable out of the 3 consoles. like Null said, the sticks are placed perfectly and the L & R buttons are also in a good position...i don't find any problems with it at all.

Yugi Starwind
03-10-2005, 01:14 PM
looks a tad strange to me. for some reason, the "pedals" look like they'd snap in a second.

MuGen
03-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Thats probably not a real design of it... considering it's dated back in 2002.... redesigns and re-conceptualism could have occurred since then.

And like I said.... The ps2 controller and the gamecube controller are the same thing besides the switch of the Dpad and the Analog stick...... I find it hard to believe that some people would find the ps2 controller awkward and the gamecube controller comfortable..... it's pointless to say that one or the other is comfortable or not.

The one thing I find awkward is the Gamecube's button placement....

____
|_X_|
----- ---
( A ) \Y\
B-->O ---

As opposed to Xbox's and PS2's ergonomic

O
O O
O

button placement.... ehh I dun like how theres no consistent layout to the Gamecube's controller.... 2 angled thin buttons in a weird place... one big button and one smaller very neglected button whose jealous of button A.....lol

Null
03-10-2005, 01:29 PM
i think that would kinda defeat the purpose of their controllers then...people wouldn't buy any, they would just use their keyboard & mouse.

What exactly IS the purpose of a controller then? Because your saying, giving people a better control for certain game types, and a control setup they'd like better defeats the whole purpose of a controller. Sounds like your saying the purpose of a controller is to suck. :p

It should allow the user to select the best way to control possible for that certain game. i play mario, i want a controller with a analog stick. But i play Counter-Strike, i want my keyboard and mouse. Should be absolutly no reason why they shouldnt let you do that. sides, most console users are very ignorant when it comes to controls and wont let anything be considered better then a controller in thier minds.

MuGen
03-10-2005, 01:46 PM
i manufactured this just now in photoshop.....you'll see what I'm saying...

http://www.gametavern.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2558&stc=1

Happydude
03-10-2005, 04:36 PM
What exactly IS the purpose of a controller then? Because your saying, giving people a better control for certain game types, and a control setup they'd like better defeats the whole purpose of a controller. Sounds like your saying the purpose of a controller is to suck. :p

It should allow the user to select the best way to control possible for that certain game. i play mario, i want a controller with a analog stick. But i play Counter-Strike, i want my keyboard and mouse. Should be absolutly no reason why they shouldnt let you do that. sides, most console users are very ignorant when it comes to controls and wont let anything be considered better then a controller in thier minds.
what i meant was, it wouldn't be worth it for the companies because nobody would buy their controllers, and instead use they keyboard/mouse they have for their PC...at least that's what i would do.

what i said had nothing to do with comfort of play and what-not

sorry for the confusion, i shoulda specified.

MuGen
03-10-2005, 04:38 PM
Well, what Null is saying is that now all games would be best played on Keyboard and Mouse... so it would be worth making keyboard and mouse support for the games that DO play best with it.

Games like racing games, and RPG's I like best on a controller.
FPS def on Mouse/Key
SIMS on Mouse/Key
Any cursor related activity.

But we would still need a controller

Null
03-10-2005, 04:40 PM
what i meant was, it wouldn't be worth it for the companies because nobody would buy their controllers, and instead use they keyboard/mouse they have for their PC...at least that's what i would do.

what i said had nothing to do with comfort of play and what-not

sorry for the confusion, i shoulda specified.

yea but companies honestly dont make much at all off thier controllers anyway, the market is already flooded with 3rd party controllers for thier consoles

they would make just as much by making a Sony (nintendo, or ms) brand keyboard and mouse and selling that.

the people who want only brandname stuff are still going to buy that same as if it were a controller.

i really dont think controller sales are an issue for that at all.

Happydude
03-10-2005, 07:47 PM
/me shrugs

well shows how much i know...

dropCGCF
03-10-2005, 07:49 PM
On the proposed designs, it looks like they would have to make games where the R1/R2 buttons could not be used simultaneously.