PDA

View Full Version : ATI unveils 512mb Video Card

MuGen
02-24-2005, 01:01 PM
In a move that’s sure to make most of us let out a whine of pleasurable pain, ATI will be showing off the world’s first consumer-level 512mb videocard. Yes, that’s right, your expensive videocard is now obsolete. Congratulations. If you want to be one of the lucky onlookers as they roll out the hardware, you’ll have to attend the Ultimate LAN event, in Dallas Texas from February 25th to 27th.

The card is a shot across the bow of Nvidia, who will now have to answer with a solution of their own, or risk being belittled on message boards across the globe. They hate it when that happens, so expect an announcement soon.

Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000590033093)

interesting......I must have :burger:

Jonbo298
02-24-2005, 01:16 PM
Now Ati should do SLI and have a 1 gig video card ;) :D

But good news. Now if only we had games that used all 512 megs besides Doom 3 :p

Blackmane
02-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Perhaps HalfLife 2 will use them all as well?

And, I don't think that Doom 3 will run on that at max settings without overheating :D

That game might make be impossible to play at max settings.

Canyarion
02-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Website timed out.

Jonbo298
02-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Well, iD said Doom 3 at max settings is optimized for 512 meg cards. Half Life 2 most likely will take advantage of it also but its not public yet, AFAIK

GameMaster
02-24-2005, 05:30 PM
It even has its own fan, lol. Do most high capacity models have a fan?

I don't really know much about video cards. Is it just the visual delivery they improve? If yes, is it terms of how well it makes a game look or is it terms of how fluidly the game moves? And when you play a game, is the computer drawing the memory from your video card or just the general computer memory?

Happydude
02-24-2005, 06:49 PM
It even has its own fan, lol. Do most high capacity models have a fan?

I don't really know much about video cards. Is it just the visual delivery they improve? If yes, is it terms of how well it makes a game look or is it terms of how fluidly the game moves? And when you play a game, is the computer drawing the memory from your video card or just the general computer memory?
all video cards in hte past 1-2 years have a fan (or most anyway)

you can compare VRAM (i think that's what it's called, Video RAM) to the regular PC RAM, the more you have, the better performance, in this case, it improves both visual and performance speed wise.

when you play a game, the computer draws memory both from the RAM and the VRAM...RAM for the program to run and be able to withdraw data from the HD (models, etc.). and the VRAM for fluidity and visual quality.

as for the 512MB card: :WHOA: :drool:

MuGen
02-25-2005, 12:00 PM
i basically thought you guys would react the way you did...

UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2006!