PDA

View Full Version : Revolution technology ideas (post them here)

Canyarion
02-21-2005, 05:38 AM
Perhaps we can make this a sticky?

Ok I've found something which is probably nothing. http://www.primidi.com/2004/12/30.html

Controlling 3D projected objects with your finger... :unsure:

Anyway, I'm looking for an article about a form of controlling where it senses your nerves....
I've seen that in a documentary a couple of years ago. There was a girl playing a FPS just by holding her finger in a sensor. She controlled the game with her mind. It sounds really unbelievable, but I think it's true...
But I don't know how to find an article about that.

Here's a site with new technologies. http://www.primidi.com/

Jonbo298
02-21-2005, 06:28 AM
It would be interesting to see if the whole "next gen" of VR pans out well to console(s). If Nintendo can give it a jump start and it catches on, it may lead to better things for the company as a whole.

/me is impatiently awaiting E3

Happydude
02-21-2005, 07:54 AM
shouldn't this be in the dungeon section? (or whatever it's called now)

Canyarion
02-21-2005, 08:03 AM
Well perhaps... but since I was looking for technology to be used in the Revolution... you know. :)

Null
02-21-2005, 10:01 AM
lol. some are expecting WAY too much out of next gen.

if you want to see technology used in the evolution, look at the gamecube and make it faster with better graphics. and maybe a funky new controller. :p

Canyarion
02-21-2005, 10:48 AM
:baby:

Jonbo298
02-21-2005, 12:25 PM
lol. some are expecting WAY too much out of next gen.

if you want to see technology used in the evolution, look at the gamecube and make it faster with better graphics. and maybe a funky new controller. :p

Oh...you mean So...er...Mi...er...:sneaky:

Null
02-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Oh...you mean So...er...Mi...er...:sneaky:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/misc15.jpg

Blackmane
02-21-2005, 01:14 PM
Gosh Null, why do you have to crush our dreams, you pessimist!

We wanna have big hopeful thoughts for Nintendo and it's future. DONT RUIN THAT!!!

... :D

Solid Snake
02-21-2005, 07:30 PM
That technology looks similar to the augmented reallity.

I think Nintendo Revolution will be more than just a more powerful machine and a funky controller. At least it better, if not, Nintendo risks falling way behind in the console wars.

Null
02-21-2005, 07:40 PM
That technology looks similar to the augmented reallity.

I think Nintendo Revolution will be more than just a more powerful machine and a funky controller. At least it better, if not, Nintendo risks falling way behind in the console wars.

Why? All ps3, xbox2 are going to be is more powerful consoles and better graphics then the previous versions. Why would the evolution be any different?

I'm sorry, but if you're expecting somthing thats going to change the way you think, and play video games then you're going to be dissapointed. VR is the next step in gaming and we arent there yet. other then that, its going to be more powerful consoles, better graphics displayed on your television untill that point is reached.

Canyarion
02-22-2005, 04:13 AM
Well the DS is kinda different. Not saying that it's revolutionary, but it's something new. :)

Null
02-22-2005, 09:08 AM
Well the DS is kinda different. Not saying that it's revolutionary, but it's something new. :)

its a pda with better graphics. lol. i dont really think its new. and being a handheld theres nothing it can do to revolutionize the game industry. no ones going to suddenly say hey, we need 2 touch screen tv's on top of each other in every living room.

Vampyr
02-22-2005, 10:09 AM
its a pda with better graphics. lol. i dont really think its new. and being a handheld theres nothing it can do to revolutionize the game industry. no ones going to suddenly say hey, we need 2 touch screen tv's on top of each other in every living room.

I completely agree. I was at the nintendo.com forums (tremendous amounts of fanboys. Go there if you need a good laugh), and SEVERAL people there were commenting on how the DS is the most innovative thing ever.

I'm not really impressed by it. We've had touch screen stuff for years, and all nintendo did was incorporate it into their handheld system. It's more of a gimmick than an innovation. Although I must admit, it is a rather cool gimmick. :)

I agree that the next Nintendo console will just be faster with better graphics, and I believe that the "revolution" is definatly going to have something to do with the controller. I'm not sure what yet, but it's going to be tricked out. Maybe something like Tom Cruise had in Minority Report.

Also, everythink back to the Metroid Prime games. Do you remember how Samus controlled which weapons that she used? To you it was a mere push of the C-stick, but if you notice, each direction was labeled with a hand gesture. Depending on the formation of her fingers she would switch to a different weapon.

Maybe we will have something like that. Although I can see something like that having a steep learning curve.

Jonbo298
02-22-2005, 10:46 AM
PSP is a gimmicky pda :roll:

Null
02-22-2005, 11:16 AM
PSP is a gimmicky pda :roll:

thank you for that totally unrelated comment which makes no sense what so ever. :P

im warning you. dont make me bring out the bunny with a pancake on its head again!! :p

Canyarion
02-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Vampyr, you mean you could switch beams just by changing the way you hold your fingers.... sounds nice, but that's really nothing more than a gimmick... (although doing the Spiderman web-hand-thing is pretty cool. :p)

But if you could actually point on the screen with your hand, that would be so much more. Or tilt the controller to point. Stuff like that...

Vampyr
02-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Vampyr, you mean you could switch beams just by changing the way you hold your fingers.... sounds nice, but that's really nothing more than a gimmick... (although doing the Spiderman web-hand-thing is pretty cool. :p)

But if you could actually point on the screen with your hand, that would be so much more. Or tilt the controller to point. Stuff like that...

I'm not just saying you use hand gestures to switch beams, that was just my example. I'm saying use hand gestures to controll all sorts of stuff. But like I said, that would probably take too long to learn. Then again, there would be an almost limitless amount of motions that could be incorporated into a game.

It would be cool if you could do the "spiderman" motion, pull out a rifle, then proceed to use your hands to aim the weapon, and use a finger to pull the trigger.

However, I can't see this form of control being very usefull in platformers or RPG's.

Blackmane
02-22-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm sure such control could be implemented into RPG's and such in not so sensible ways, but it could work.

At any rate, I also think that the Revolution might incorporate some new type of control scheme. It should be interesting to see it all unfold at this years E3

Neo
03-09-2005, 09:48 AM
I've been thinking and there is only one thing that makes sense to me concerning what Revolution is about. If the revolution involves a new way to interact with games then we are looking at a different type of controller or input device.

Most laptops now incorporate a glide pad which is used in place of a mouse. You simply move your thumb over a plastic surface to control the mouse pointer. I think the revolution's controller will have such a glide pad instead of a D-pad or analog stick. Though instead of controlling a mouse pointer the game will respond to the direction in which you slide your finger. This would allow for an unprecedented level of precision and response in controlling your on-screen character.

I also remember supposed insider comments stating that revolution wasn't really new technology, just something that hadn't really been applied to games before, and that gamers were thinking too hard trying to figure out what it is.

A gyroscopic controller doesn't make sense either. Your wrists would get sore quickly trying to maneuver mario all over the place. It would simply take too much effort to play games with that method. A gyroscopic controller would be fun for about 30 seconds but that's it.

It's possible Revolution goes beyond that by changing the actual console. Wireless internet is a slight possibility but we all know how reluctant Nintendo is to do anything online, especially something involving wireless routers which relatively few people own.

There's a chance the games will be downloaded somehow instead of inserted as a disc, but this would be a death-blow (phantom anyone?).

No I think the most likely technological innovation will be the incorporation of a glide pad. If you were Nintendo and didn't want to give away the secret what would you tell people concerning Revolution? You would probably say that you have a great new way to play games, which is essentially what they have been saying.

Canyarion
03-09-2005, 10:05 AM
:unsure:

But a glide pad gives no feedback. :unsure: Unless we believe Chrash' story of the force feedback touchpads.... but I don't like that story either.

How will a glide pad scare away 3rd party developers?
How will a glide pad revolutionize the gaming industry?
Why would Nintendo have stocks in the gyro-company?

Jonbo298
03-09-2005, 10:29 AM
Because developers fear Nintendo anytime they try something different like a glide pad and will praise MS for forcing them to go online with every game :p

Neo
03-09-2005, 10:40 AM
If it was a metallic glide pad it could give you electro-shock feedback. :D

Null
03-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Because developers fear Nintendo anytime they try something different like a glide pad and will praise MS for forcing them to go online with every game :p

yea, either that or developers just understand what gamers want.

one or the other. :p ;)

MuGen
03-09-2005, 11:29 AM
That would be awesome for FPS' .... if there were one analog stick for moving and a glide pad for directional and aiming... o... so accurate!

Null
03-09-2005, 11:38 AM
That would be awesome for FPS' .... if there were one analog stick for moving and a glide pad for directional and aiming... o... so accurate!

While that would be a giant step from from controllers. for FPS games, its such a simple solution. add USB ports and add mouse/keyboard support for every fps game.

MuGen
03-09-2005, 11:45 AM
EVEN BETTER!!!

PS2 already has USB ports... but the games dont have mouse keyboard support.

if theres such a game, please let me know.

Null
03-09-2005, 12:02 PM
well theres adapters to plug a keyboard and mouse into a controller port and have them work on games.

theres ones on all 3 consoles i think, people can play halo2 online with keyboard and mouse. altho its not full support, (like binding keys and such) its enough to let ya use it.

i hope all nexgen consoles have full support, with the usb plugs.

MuGen
03-09-2005, 12:34 PM
I have another question...

Why are people speculating that the most advanced technology is suddenly "Revolution technology ideas."

There was another post before that had a video of 3d environment interactivity..... and it said nothing about the Revolution, and then suddenly someone posts it "Revolution technology revealed."

Everyone is getting ahead of themselves, and this is why Nintendo needs to reveal something soon.... otherwise you'll have everyone speculating that the Revolution will have far advanced technology 20 years ahead of others, then Revolution is released it IS nothing but faster and better graphics LOL that would be a funny story.

I tend not to jump too far into technology and speculate that it's PS3 technology or even xbox 2 technology.

I'll believe it when it an article says, "Revolution technology confirmed....... "

Canyarion
03-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Eł my lad, Eł. :love:

I suddenly thought of 3D vision. I wonder why it hasn't been done much (only on PCs). But Ninty stated that it has to do with how you interact with the game, meaning control? :unsure:

MuGen
03-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Not E3... it's Etres en Mayo (E3 in May)

Jonbo298
03-09-2005, 02:41 PM
I think its because its hard to get a new 'accessory' to succeed well enough on the PC because then something like true 3D Vision has to be adopted by video card manufacturers, followed by game manufacturers.