PDA

View Full Version : Iwata Speaks!

Crash
02-19-2005, 11:53 AM
http://spong.com/detail/editorial.asp?eid=10109282

The DS came in for criticism for not following the traditional Nintendo design aesthetic. Some have even called it ugly. Given Nintendo’s history of evolving the design of portable hardware, will we see a revised model DS? Again, Iwata-san laughs good heartedly. “Hardware developers at Nintendo are always looking for what comes next and what will be the new direction as soon as they finish the design of any particular piece of hardware. Some of them are actually working on improved functionality of the existing machine, with some working on a rework of the exterior design exactly in the same way they did with the transition from Game Boy Advance to Game Boy Advance SP,” hinting at a possible, dare we say probable reissue in the not too distant future. But there’s more. “Some designers are working on a completely new project, completely different from the existing DS platform,” perhaps the most concrete mention of the new Game Boy development to date. Iwata-san continues, “But, what I can tell you is nothing complete has been decided right now about when or what kind of modifications or new features will be added to existing machines. However, I am the one who is looking forward the most to the time when one of Nintendo’s developers approaches me and says, ‘Look! We have come up with the great idea!’. So once again, I have nothing concrete to share at this time.” Perhaps at E3?

Jonbo298
02-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Interesting. Hopefully they take more user feedback into consideration about the DS

GameMaster
02-19-2005, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't mind a smaller DS. Hopefully as small as the GBA SP.

Jonbo298
02-19-2005, 03:37 PM
Only problem with a smaller DS is that the touchscreen gets smaller and thats a bad thing

Vampyr
02-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Spong is the most uncreditable source of gaming news on the internet.

:\

Canyarion
02-21-2005, 05:23 AM
That sucks, I don't want news of a new DS before I've bought the first one! :(

But perhaps they'll add the analog stick this time....

They're also discussing the new GameBoy in the article. Smart Nintendo, even if PSP is more succesfull than DS, they can still launch an überGB to reclaim the market... Sony probably hasn't got something new ready...