PDA

View Full Version : Wind Waker 2 REALLY confirmed

DeathsHand
02-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Well... Sorta :p (sorry I couldn't resist)

http://cube.ign.com/articles/588/588913p1.html

They confirm that the new NGC Zelda game takes place chronologically after Wind Waker... That combined with the ending that sorta set up for a sequel makes me quite happy...

WW's ending made it seem like the next Zelda game would involve exploring a whole new world in the search for a "New Hyrule"...

So hopefully by "Takes place chronologically after Wind Waker", they don't mean 300 years after...

Yeah...

GameMaster
02-18-2005, 10:29 PM
Since he's the hero of time, I don't think it really matters where each adventure takes place. As long as it's a magnificent story that is fun to play, I am happy.

DeathsHand
02-18-2005, 11:23 PM
Since he's the hero of time, I don't think it really matters where each adventure takes place. As long as it's a magnificent story that is fun to play, I am happy.

But he's not the hero of time... The one from Ocarina of Time was the hero of Time... :sneaky:

GameMaster
02-18-2005, 11:35 PM
One time I argued that Link is the same Link in each adventure. Then Vampyr proved me wrong and explained that each Link is different and exists in different yet parallel universes.

Ginkasa
02-19-2005, 01:27 AM
/me sees a post just begging to have some Zelda storyline info shared

/me is sad, however, that it was, apparentely Vampyr, and not he, that corrected GM

Anyway...

There are very many storyline theories out there, and only a few can be outright disclaimed (such as Link being one person).

My favorite is one that includes three separate universes and storylines. The first includes (in chrono order):

The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Oracle fo Seasons (different Link than above games)

These are the games that just kind of get in the way of the other storylines. The first two Zelda games are obviously connected by story (Link saves Hyrule from Ganon in LoZ, then awakens an ancient sleeping Princess Zelda [separate from the Zelda in LoZ]). The Oracle games can pretty much be placed anywhere at any time on any timeline, but the two NES Zeldas looked lonely so...

The second timeline is:

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (different Link in each game?)

I can't really explain this timeline very well since I haven't played any of these games yet. But from what I've read, it is very obviously placed in this order.

The third, and my favorite, timeline is:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (different Link than above)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (different Link than above)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

With ALttP, the Zelda creators began creating a fairly complex little storyline. As the Link from ALttP battled Ganon, he received mentions of an ancient Imprisoning War trapping Ganon in the Sacred Realm. Although some Zelda storyline theorists believe that OoT can't be the IW because of some stupid technicalities, I think there's no way that OoT can't be the IW.

MM is the same Link from OoT on a side adventure.

TWW is a very blatantly direct sequel to OoT. Gotta love it.

The ALttP and LA.

I think its simpler than a lot of other theories since you don't have to try to come up with a bunch of explanations for plotholes.

Also, I didn't actually come up with the three timelines or all of the games in it, although I did have a very similar idea (and then switched to this because the other guy thought it through better).

My original idea was that there were two universes. One was the Nintendo developed Zelda games:

OoT
MM
TWW
ALttP
LA
LoZ
AoL

Fairly simple. Then there were the Capcom developed Zelda games:

TMC
FS
FSA
OoA/OoS

I came up with the idea from reading about how the FS games and TMC all contained the villain Vaati and how they really contradicted the other games in terms of Ganon's history and stuff. It was obvious that while Nintendo was going through the whole storyline follwoing OoT, Capcom was creating its own little universe with these new villains and such. I then put in the Oracle games since they were also Capcom Zelda games and really weren't needed in the other timeline.

I posted this theory at Zelda Legends, the message board where I get all this crap, but was shot down by someone who said, "DC Comics tried to have two universe at once, but everyone got confused so they had to erase one universe in the Crisis of Infinite Earths storyline."

I thought that was a stupid argument since a lot of people had already accepted a much more confusing Split Timeline Theory (the one where the games deviate from the adult ending in OoT [Ganon being sealed] and the kid ending [everything being turned back]), but I didn't say anything.

Then I went back a few months later and found the theory being posted again, only much more thought out and with the three storylines. It kind of peeved me off since it got a lot more attention and praise, but it was better, so I didn't say anything (also, the forums had been hacked so my original thread had been deleted).

Anyway...

That was probably unnecessary...

/me shrugs and walks away

DeathsHand
02-19-2005, 01:44 AM
Nah I think the Zelda storyline and the way things come together is quite interesting, and while they make great stand-alone-ish games, it also has great potential to have great tied-together stories as well...

And after the tie-ins with OoT, and hearing that LttP takes place after WW (I read something similar quite awhile back), so if you help pioneer this new land in the new cube game, you're basically helping build the LttP area thing (unless some major event happened between "WW2" and LttP)... Or at least playing through it again...

But who knows, I always thought it'd be neat for a direct sequel of WW2 to be about finding the new land and exploring (combining mostly a huge continent to traverse on foot/horseback with a dash of the WW sailing parts) and some stuff happening (stuff always happens) and you'd see some of the areas there are in LttP before the Hylians or whatever settled in... But it prolly won't be like that... :<

Because I think that's what made WW's storyline (at least when it comes to intros and endings) a step above most Zelda games... The simple fact that it directly (and obviously) tied into a past storyline...

BlueFire
02-19-2005, 12:12 PM
Yay a sequel to Wind Waker. I hope it is like DH says it is: Exploring the new land that will become Hyrule.

fingersman
02-19-2005, 01:04 PM
Hey since there seems to be a big war going on maybe the people of Hyrule are fighting for the land.

Teuthida
02-19-2005, 01:46 PM
That's very good news. Especailly if it's the same goofy Link but older. And if it is we could see all the great characters from WW a little older but this time in a completely different style...including Tingle :(

Canyarion
02-21-2005, 05:12 AM
T...i....n...g...le? :baby:

:(

Oh well, as DsH and Fingers said, would be cool to discover and fight for a new Hyrule... they can very nicely use the dungeons for that purpose. :)

I'd love to see a screenshot where it shows Link in a boat. Some people will go mad because it will remind them of the boring TWW sailing. :p