PDA

View Full Version : Mario Kart Arcade Screen

Crash
02-18-2005, 01:06 AM
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050218/aou04.jpg

http://nanashi.ath.cx/up/src/up1639.jpg

interesting

Mario Kart GP... sound like Mario Kart DS

maybe mario kart DS will have internet with ability to see players faces too, that'd be cool!

Like F-zero GX and F-zero AX.... hmmmmm

Jonbo298
02-18-2005, 01:54 AM
I hate the Japanese for getting the best stuff :mad: :p

Canyarion
02-18-2005, 03:47 AM
Pretty cool! :D

Null
02-18-2005, 09:06 AM
sad because thats what mario kart on GC shoulda looked like. :( i miss actual go karts like thoes. instead of soap box durby racers like on DD.

then ontop of that. it says namco on thoes arcade machines and on one pac man is driving. so its almost like Mario vs Namco Kart. :(

DimHalo
02-18-2005, 09:39 AM
i want one in my house.... that would be awesome

BreakABone
02-18-2005, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the game did get a release on the Cube later this year. I mean thus far all of Triforce's arcade games based on Nintendo games have made it to the console.. that and the fact that Mario Kart: double Dash is the second-highest selling game on the Cube... So a new Mario Kart and a "mature" Zelda would make for a nice holiday season.

Fox 6
02-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Wow, that looks really interesting, those Japanese people don't know how lucky they are.

Crash
02-18-2005, 01:58 PM
http://www.dengekionline.com/data/news/2005/02/18/8a356bd672389602a584327e02e91a4e.html

http://www.dengekionline.com/data/img/news/200502/18/20050218_01_mariokart01.jpg

http://www.dengekionline.com/data/img/news/200502/18/20050218_01_mariokart03.jpg

http://www.dengekionline.com/data/img/news/200502/18/20050218_01_mariokart05.jpg

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050218/aou_n02.jpg

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050218/aou_n07.jpg

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050218/aou_n08.jpg

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050218/aou_n13.jpg

GameMaster
02-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Looks much better than Double Dash.

Although like Null, I'm a little sad to see Pac-Man thrown in there. Who knows what other outcasts have been tossed in there also? :(

However, if Sonic was in the game and he ran instead of driving, that would be cool. :)

Teuthida
02-18-2005, 03:30 PM
That face thing is just like in the anime GTO when they are racing in the arcade.

Looks very cool. Wonder how hard it would be to bluespark with the steering wheel.

Null
02-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Looks much better than Double Dash.

Although like Null, I'm a little sad to see Pac-Man thrown in there. Who knows what other outcasts have been tossed in there also? :(

However, if Sonic was in the game and he ran instead of driving, that would be cool. :)

im not sad that pac man is in it. im sad cuz the arcade gets what looks to be an awsome mario kart. and GC got a crappy Mario Soap box durby.

=/ i want a real mario kart like this one 'looks' like it is.

Teuthida
02-18-2005, 06:59 PM
and GC got a crappy Mario Soap box durby.

=/ i want a real mario kart like this one 'looks' like it is.

Sentimentally strikes again making an older game appear better than it was. Did you play Double Dash? I went back to the 64 one after and couldn't believe how anyone could have EVER preferred that.

Dyne
02-18-2005, 07:33 PM
I just realized how much I dislike Double Dash!!. What a piece of crap title.

Null
02-18-2005, 08:16 PM
Sentimentally strikes again making an older game appear better than it was. Did you play Double Dash? I went back to the 64 one after and couldn't believe how anyone could have EVER preferred that.

yes played it. beat it. beat all the unlockables etc.

problem is, it sucked. tracks were unispired and short. in 64, you had some great maps. and memorable ones, ones that you want to play again and again. after a few times in DD, started to get sick of em.

then they absolutly DESTROYED the battle mode.

Battle mode in MK64, big big battle maps. you went around things, up on different levels. they were BIG.

Battle mode in MKDD, tiny maps. theres some with barly any room to move at all. and then the put giant ass weapons that you fire and they take up the entire size of the map itself.

only thing i can see that they did right, besides graphics, was the sense of speed. in DD you feel like your going much faster.

other then that tho, i dont know how anyone would not think MK64 was better. it may look ugly as hell. but they did it right.

Teuthida
02-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Yes, battle mode was a major let down. I can see DD not being fun after a while if playing single player...but multi rules supreme.

I went back to the 64 one recently. The maps were so boring. Toad's Turnpike used to be one of my favorites...I couldn't figure out why I used to like it after playing it again.

Screw it... *a few minutes later* Ok, just played Mario Kart 64's Special Cup on 150cc. *Yawn*

Eh, not gonna argue. To each his own. But to call DD crap is blasphemy.

Null
02-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Yes, battle mode was a major let down. I can see DD not being fun after a while if playing single player...but multi rules supreme.

I went back to the 64 one recently. The maps were so boring. Toad's Turnpike used to be one of my favorites...I couldn't figure out why I used to like it after playing it again.

Screw it... *a few minutes later* Ok, just played Mario Kart 64's Special Cup on 150cc. *Yawn*

Eh, not gonna argue. To each his own. But to call DD crap is blasphemy.

actually i rarly played it alone, it wasnt my game, i beat the game while playing multiplayer.
DD isnt even half the game mk64 is. and yes. i've played it again recently. and i cant and never could stand 64 graphics. but the game is still better. expecially battle. which was always the best part of the game.

Nintendo just didnt live up to the 64 version with it. not at all. just like they didnt nearly live up to the 64 version of Mario Golf. (idiots cut out mini golf) and so far im undicded on mario tennis. i dont own that one so havnt gotten a lot of time with it yet.

Teuthida
02-18-2005, 09:09 PM
Battle shouldn't be the highlight of a racing game. :unsure:

Let's just drop this little disagreement...I'll never be able to figure out why you prefer 64 to DD...

Just be warned if you so much as say something slightly negative about Mario Power Tennis, BAB will be your final undoing.

Dyne
02-18-2005, 09:39 PM
Haha, I didn't like 64 or DD (or Super Circuit for that matter) as much as the original. The original is still the pinnacle of the series for me. I didn't spend a whole lot of time in battle mode in it, either.

Rating..

Super Mario Kart > Super Circuit >>> MK 64 >> Double Dash!!

If this Triforce game came to Gamecube, though, I think it might have a spot between Super Circuit and the original. Or maybe higher.

I mean, jeez, I got so excited when I saw a real 3D kart model in SSBM.

The Germanator
02-18-2005, 09:43 PM
/me joins the "Mario Kart 64 is the best Mario Kart" club

Null
02-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Battle shouldn't be the highlight of a racing game. :unsure:

Let's just drop this little disagreement...I'll never be able to figure out why you prefer 64 to DD...

Just be warned if you so much as say something slightly negative about Mario Power Tennis, BAB will be your final undoing.

hey, most prefer 64, most reviews gave better scores to 64. you may not be able to figure out why anyone likes 64 more then DD. but the rest of the world cant figure out why you like DD more then 64. ;)

best i can think of, is that you WANT it to be better more then you actually think its better. :D

Teuthida
02-18-2005, 10:59 PM
This "rest of the world" also thinks Oot and FFVII are the greatest games ever conceived...which I also disagree with...perhaps there are some drugs I can take to see how everyone else does...*goes off to play Kirby Pinball Land*

Null
02-18-2005, 11:35 PM
oh im sure theres plenty of drugs to cure you of your mental illnesses. ;)

(im certainly not agreeing that thoes are the best games tho)

Crash
02-19-2005, 11:40 AM
SOmeones mario kart impressions:

As of now, the selectable characters were Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Toad, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Wario, Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, and Blinky the red ghost (Akabe!!!) Wasn't able to get any info out of any of the staff if there were hidden characters or not.

Three cups(stages) were available, Mario cup, Donkey Kong cup, and Koopa cup. Each stage had 4 tracks, and tracks also had selectable conditions(sunny, night, rain, etc.) There should be three more cups available in the final version of the game, Wario, Pac-Man, and Rainbow cups.

The game machine uses reprintable cards, and this is used for keeping track of which cups you've cleared. By clearing cups, you give yourself access to different, and I'm assuming more powerful items, for use in the game. Exactly how it will work though, I'm not quite sure since there are more than 100 items that can be used.

Controls are made up of just the steering wheel, which has your item use button in the center, and the gas and brake pedals. Hitting the gas and brake pedals at the same time causes you to jump. Steering while jumping causes you to power drift. Just like the old Snes version. If you're REALLY quick about, you can actually get the jump off by letting off the gas, slamming the brakes, then slamming down on the gas pedal again. Usually I found it easier just to hit both at the same time.

So, you sit down, select your character, then have your picture taken. Cup/Track/Conditions are either selected through majority(everyone picks the same one) or randomly if people pick different ones. From there you got to item selection where you are randomly assigned three different items. Most of the old favourites seem to be back in some form, and there's tonnes of new ones. I'll detail some of the ones I saw in another post later.

The game, happily, plays closest to the original Mario Kart on the Snes of any in the series that have been released since. Courses are for the most part narrower. The speed is quicker, including coins which you pick up to increase your top speed. The initial speed boost is intact from the starting lights as well. Controls were nice and tight, although it took some time getting used to the gas/brake hopping for drifting.

The graphics seem better than Double Dash in various ways. Having everyone driving the same karts again makes the game feel more solid thematically. Characters and karts are higher poly, mostly due to not having to animate two characters per kart anymore. After picking up items, you can tell which item you're carrying either in the item window in the left, or because your character actually holds the item in one hand while driving with the other. Bumping up against other drivers causes the characters to starting punching and shoving at each other.

Graphics for the courses also looked better as well. Reminding me almost of a mix of F-zero GX crossed with Monkey Ball, but in the Mario universe.

Anyway, taking pictures of the players comes in handy at the beginning, because at least right now, everyone can pick the same characters. Having four Bowsers racing against each other for example. Also tends to make things a little more personal than just seeing that Player 2 hit you with a tornado.

Game was lots of fun, and I never saw anyone walking away looking disappointed at all.
Think that's it for now, I'll try answer whatever questions I can if you guys have any.

Teuthida
02-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Some more info:

Mario Kart Arcade Grand Prix

- Release: Fall 2005 (arcade)
- Hardware: Triforce
- 1-4 players
- Playable at Makuhari Messe (Feb. 18-19)
- Uses "NamCam 2" camera to take the player's pic and see it during races
- Features "Rubberband System" which adjusts the performance of the kart on the fly according to your skill during races, to keep things exciting and (I guess?) competitive
- Features "Rewritable Card" system to keep track of progress, items, etc. (sounds kinda like the F-Zero AX card, maybe a little more advanced)

Not liking the sound of that rubberband system. So if you're really good...doesn't matter...a crap player can beat you.