PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up Xbox Live

Vampyr
02-11-2005, 03:22 PM
So recently I got DSL, and I'm wanting to hook up my Xbox to Live, but I have no idea on how to do it.

First of all, what will I need to hook it up? My DSL connection is in my living room, which is on the other side of the house from the Xbox. I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to broadband connections, so what do I need to buy to set up a connection in my room? And will I be able to be online on the computer and online on my Xbox at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

GameMaster
02-11-2005, 03:44 PM
You're going to need a router because the Xbox will have to connect the DSL modem just as your computer does. The router is like an extension plug in that it allows more than one device to hook up to your DSL modem.

If you want to keep your XBox where it currently is, then you're going to have to buy a long ethernet cable to run from where the modem and router are all the way to your Xbox's location. Instead of doing that, I'd recommend buying a router with wireless capabilities. Then you can buy a wireless receiver to hook to the Xbox without having any long cables running through your house.

Here's what I'd recommend if this product is available near you:

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=601 <---- The router

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=558&scid=38 <---- The wireless receiver to hook up to the Xbox

I have our PC connected with a Linksys wireless receiver and the router is in my room and it works great.

And yes, you'll be able to use Xbox Live and the internet at the same time.

Vampyr
02-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Alright, I have another question:

Here is how my DSL is set up:

A phone cable runs into a black box, which has an ethernet cable running to my computer, and that box is in turn plugged into the electricity.

Is this box a router?

If so, couldn't I just buy another one of these, put a phone jack in my room, and get another ethernet cable and then hook it all up just like my computer is?

The reason I ask is because I want to spend as little money as possible, so I just want a cheap router.

GameMaster
02-11-2005, 04:11 PM
That box is the DSL modem.

You could have the people who put it in install another one in your room. The reason I suggested a router is because if I had Comcast install another one, I believe they'd charge twice the money each month. Comcast actually has a networkiing service they provide where they'll put a router in now so you still only get charged for one modem. But they charge a lot for that too so if you can do it on your own you save a lot of money.

So I'd find out if your provider can install another one and also see how much that'll cost. Also, I'm sure Null and Jonbo can suggest some other router products that might be cheaper.

Vampyr
02-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks GM, but is it too difficult to do it myself?

I mean, I know how to install a phone jack, that's no big deal. I can even run the cables under the house and stuff, and it's not a problem.

If I put a phone jack in my room, and buy a cheap router, will I need to do anything else to get on the internet other than hooking the cables up? If I'm going to have to pay an extra fee per month to have two routers going, than I'm just going to forget about xbox live.

GameMaster
02-11-2005, 04:36 PM
No you won't have to pay an extra fee. They'd only know about it if they came out and did it. But since you said you can install the phone jack and run the cables under your house, I'd go ahead and do that. I forgot about the option of running things under the house because my house is built on a cement foundation so I couldn't do that. :(

So just buy a cheap router and do it yourself. If settings on your computer have to be changed, the router would include a little CD that would do that stuff for you.

Vampyr
02-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Great! Thanks a lot for the help, GM. :D

It might be a while before I get it though...my parents are planning on buying a new house this summer, and my dad (who is actually the one who knows how to run cables under the house and set up the phone jack) might want to wait until then to do the work.

But in the mean time I'm going to look for a cheap router and another ethernet cable.

Vampyr
02-26-2005, 02:36 PM
Can anyone recommend an EXTREMELY cheap router? I don't want a wireless one, I just want a normal cheap router. I would like to be going Live in the next month or so.

Thanks.

DarkMaster
02-26-2005, 04:07 PM
I believe D-Link is very cheap. Just know that you get what you pay for.

CamFu
02-26-2005, 05:30 PM
How much are you willing to pay?