PDA

View Full Version : Worms: Forts Under Siege

Ric
02-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Sorry if you guys already know about this game, it hasn't been released in the U.S yet as far as I am aware, but I got my hands on a PAL version.

You can select from different character model's when making a team. Well sort of, you get a selection of helmets you can wear eg: Roman hat you build Roman structures, Egyptian hat you build Egyptian structures.

You can build across the map a square at a time. The idea being to capture the Stars that are dotted about the level. The more Stars you get the higher the level of structure you can build. You start with Towers advance to Keep's then Castles then Citadels each one enables you to use more devastating weapons than the last which can only be fired from the top of the respective buildings. For example, get a Castle and you can use the Fridge Launcher which is a giant catapult that fires... well... fridges. Which explode on impact. A Citadel enables you to use a giant Lazer Cannon that can literally decimate an entire opponents base when used effectively.

This system of building is similar to that of C&C or Warcraft, you can also make weapons factories, Science labs, hospitals where you can revive your fallen comrades and once you start winning you can build a big statue, called a Wonder, which serves no practical use other than to over shadow the enemies base and make him feel inferior.

Features such as the Shotgun, Dynamite and Uzi have been removed which is a bit crap because it means that you cant really fight at close quaters. The intention of the game is not to blat your opponents, rather to play more stratigically. You win by either killing all the opponents or destroying their home base, which you cant build without.

Fans of the series probably wont like the game as much as Worms 3D but it is trying to be a different game. That's the whole point. There are some interesting ideas thrown into this game but all in all it fails over stupid things. For example when sudden death mode is initiated you are treated to a random natural/man made disaster such as a flood, earthquake or nuclear explosion. Which blows up in the distance and you get hurt by the nuclear fallout. It's nice but when the cut scene between each players go sometimes lasts longer than your go it gets very, very monotonous and annoying. You cant turn it off either :mad:

This game has lots of great new ideas in however it is flawed, the only destructible scenery is the structures. The rest of the landscape is invincible which can be annoying. I couldn't help but think that the game could have done with a few more months developement and play testing. It left me feeling a little disappointed coz all it needs if a few tweeks here and there and you could have yourself a brilliant game. It has an Xbox live feature which I have not used.

All in all it's worth checking out at some point but you might wanna rent it first. Dont expect to be buying into what you would normally expect from a Worms game.

Go here for more info and screenshots: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/strategy/wormsfortsundersiege/screenindex.html

Ric
02-11-2005, 10:37 AM
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/920514_20040816_screen012.jpg

This image is good for displaying the individual team fortresses, see them in the four corners.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/920514_20040816_screen006.jpg

And heres a nice picture of a worm displaying one of their 'Team Hats'

Jonbo298
02-11-2005, 11:53 AM
3D Worms will never replace the 2D Worms games :D

GameMaster
02-11-2005, 12:54 PM
If it's like WC then I'd definitely be interested.

Ric
02-11-2005, 02:31 PM
If it's like WC then I'd definitely be interested.

No dude I didn't mean it's like WC i just used that as an example. You have to build:

Warcraft ---- WormsFUS

Town Hall --- Keep
Keep -------- Castle
Castle ------- Citadel

In order, you have to have one to build the next so to speak. I only meant that it has elements from WC.

GameMaster
02-11-2005, 02:38 PM
I heard it's expensive.

Blackmane
02-11-2005, 04:38 PM
3D Worms will never replace the 2D Worms games :D

2-D worms was the pWn!! I played that all the time on DC.

Typhoid
02-11-2005, 04:42 PM
2D worms games were good because they were origional.

The exact same reason why there hasnt been a good Sonic game yet...because its so different than what we're used to.

But after playing Worms 3-D at Dylans, many a time, 3D Worms games are kind of nifty.

I think, they should make it an option. Where you can play in 2D, OR 3D. Like, an in game thing. Press a button, BAM! First person worm view.

That would be good.

But worms games are worms games. I still hold a special place in my heart for Worms: Armageddon. Banana Bombs....Holy Hand Grenades...Concrete Donkey...

*nostalgia*

Stonecutter
02-12-2005, 01:39 AM
2D worms games were good because they were origional.

Um... WHAT?

2D worms games are a lot of great things, but they're NOT origional. Worms is just a high rent/rich mans version of any Aim/Fire game. There was an Atari 2600 Game and a 1001 different versions of the same concept in dos form years and years and years before the first worms hit.

Typhoid
02-12-2005, 01:48 AM
Um... WHAT?

2D worms games are a lot of great things, but they're NOT origional. Worms is just a high rent/rich mans version of any Aim/Fire game. There was an Atari 2600 Game and a 1001 different versions of the same concept in dos form years and years and years before the first worms hit.

I meant origional in the sense that they were the first type of Worms game.

Like the origional Sonic game was a 2D side scroller?

I meant it in that way. Not origional overall, But origional for the title.

Ric
02-13-2005, 11:15 AM
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/920514_20040816_screen001.jpg

Bwa haa haa my laser cannon owns joo.

This shot displays how the weapons are mounted on top of and fired from your structures. You can use stuff like bazookas and grenades from anywhere on the map.

Ric
02-13-2005, 11:17 AM
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/920514_20040816_screen016.jpg

Heres another one... even though no one seems to care much... have a look anyway.