PDA

View Full Version : PSP Online at Launch

DeathsHand
02-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Don't think anybody's mentioned this yet (gamespot just put the story up today)...

5 of the launch games will have online play...

ATV Offroad Fury
Twisted Metal
MLB
NBA
and Gretzky NHL...

All can be played through ad hoc (like DS's wireless connectivity to other DS's in close proximity) or over the internet via wireless hotspots...

the sports games up to 2 players head to head, ATV 4 players, and Twisted Metal allows for 6 players at once...

This makes PSP the first system to offer online play at launch...

I'm curious how popular online play will be for future PSP titles... I guess we'll probably find out at E3...

MuGen
02-08-2005, 06:18 PM
this is good news.. I've always wanted to play Twisted Metal against people from across the globe. I look forward to this as I have a PSP on pre-order.

Joeiss
02-08-2005, 06:35 PM
this is good news.. I've always wanted to play Twisted Metal against people from across the globe. I look forward to this as I have a PSP on pre-order.

I played Twisted Metal online for free... wasn't too good, but then again, I am not a big fan of the series, haha.

MuGen
02-08-2005, 06:37 PM
lol that's good to know... i think's it's funner than Gran Theft Auto...a lot more destructive essence to it, aside from the malformed characters included.

Crash
02-08-2005, 06:44 PM
I thought only games online were:

* Gretzky NHL - 989 Sports / Page44 Studios
* NBA - 989 Sports / 989 Sports
* MLB - 989 Sports / 989 Sports

and 989 has no idea how to make a sports game....

Edit: ok, I see the other ones...

I' d much rather play twisted metal without online play... unless my best friends have a PSP which they wont.. . I'll still get a PSP when they come down to $149.99 this christmas no doubt

besides, when Satoru announces Animal crossing, mario kart, pokemon and SSBM going online... this wont even matter. lets wait until next month

Perfect Stu
02-08-2005, 07:02 PM
I thought only games online were:

* Gretzky NHL - 989 Sports / Page44 Studios
* NBA - 989 Sports / 989 Sports
* MLB - 989 Sports / 989 Sports

and 989 has no idea how to make a sports game....

Edit: ok, I see the other ones...

I' d much rather play twisted metal without online play... unless my best friends have a PSP which they wont.. . I'll still get a PSP when they come down to $149.99 this christmas no doubt

besides, when Satoru announces Animal crossing, mario kart, pokemon and SSBM going online... this wont even matter. lets wait until next month

:rolleyes:

as for the topic at hand, good thing I have a wireless router...

DeathsHand
02-08-2005, 07:04 PM

*prints out an article pointing out something negative about PSP*
*wraps it around a rock and ties it with a rubber band*
*throws it*

Go get it, boy!

Perfect Stu
02-08-2005, 07:10 PM
*throws it*

Go get it, boy!

:rofl:

Crash
02-09-2005, 01:36 AM
:...:

I'll get a psp one of these days... if just for twisted metal

MuGen
02-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Well you always have the option. I'm going to pick up Vampire Chronicles, Twisted Metal, and a couple of UMD movies.

With Vampire Chronicles you can do multiplayer Wi-Fi or with Twisted Metal you can do multiplayer Wi-Fi or Online Multiplayer.... this is exciting!

Null
02-09-2005, 12:40 PM
*throws it*

Go get it, boy!

haha. nice one. :)

I wonder if the north american PSP will have the extra features already made for it, web browsing and some other things wasnt it?

or how long untill they actually have an official release of that.

MuGen
02-09-2005, 12:50 PM
dunno about that... but after watching gameplay of Coded Arms for PSP, I'm picking that up as well...... all these games look really good for the PSP.

Dark Samurai
02-09-2005, 04:10 PM
If I am to get the PSP, which I will, I'm doing it for DarkStalkers and the racing games... thats all... and free Spiderman 2 movie? Dont get me started...

CamFu
02-09-2005, 05:09 PM
...and a couple of UMD movies.

Just have a question about this one comment. I always try to figure out why people do the things they do. Why would you be buying movies for you PSP in a UMD format when they won't even play on your regular DVD player at home? It just doesn't make sense to me why people would do this. It's like buying a DVD that only plays on a Panasonic DVD Player and nothing else. It's so limiting the entertainment value.

For about $75 more, you can get a DS and a Portable DVD Player.

DVD Player (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3132890)

DS (http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4214284?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG)

I'm not saying that the DS has better games, thats all up to your opinion. But by wasting money (IMO) on UMD that can just be played on PSP, it's just not adding up right.

Can you explain why you are willing to spend money on a movie that can only be played on UMD Formats? Are people really willing to waste extra money on paying for the same movie twice?

Blackmane
02-09-2005, 05:15 PM
Just have a question about this one comment. I always try to figure out why people do the things they do. Why would you be buying movies for you PSP in a UMD format when they won't even play on your regular DVD player at home? It just doesn't make sense to me why people would do this. It's like buying a DVD that only plays on a Panasonic DVD Player and nothing else. It's so limiting the entertainment value.

For about $75 more, you can get a DS and a Portable DVD Player.

DVD Player (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3132890)

DS (http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4214284?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG)

I'm not saying that the DS has better games, thats all up to your opinion. But by wasting money (IMO) on UMD that can just be played on PSP, it's just not adding up right.

Can you explain why you are willing to spend money on a movie that can only be played on UMD Formats? Are people really willing to waste extra money on paying for the same movie twice?

Here Here.

One of the main reasons that I don't want the PSP right now is that one of its more touted features is pretty pointless, because I don't know many people who want to buy movies that only work on their portable player.

Now, I may still get the PSP once there is a library of good games and not just good looking games. Because its features are pretty lame IMO.

Perfect Stu
02-09-2005, 05:59 PM
who needs to buy UMD movies? when I end up buying a PSP, I'll get a large memory stick and just transfer video from my PC to my memory stick.

CamFu
02-09-2005, 06:10 PM
who needs to buy UMD movies? when I end up buying a PSP, I'll get a large memory stick and just transfer video from my PC to my memory stick.

See, this is something I can understand.

But you can use the memory stick on more then just one product. And for more then one reason. Music, Movies, Saving Games, Pics (can the PSP display pics?)... see money saver.

Sorry, I didn't mean to take this topic OT.

DeathsHand
02-09-2005, 06:21 PM

But you can use the memory stick on more then just one product. And for more then one reason. Music, Movies, Saving Games, Pics (can the PSP display pics?)... see money saver.

Don't worry, just pray I never see you on the streets...

I think we can all agree: UMD movies = lame, being able to take various videos and stuff from the computer with you on a memory stick = Nifty!

Perfect Stu
02-09-2005, 08:18 PM

yeah, but I dont have any other product that uses Memory stick...

And I will no doubt be using it for music, movies, game-related content and pictures (it displays pictures quite nicely).

UMD, for now at least (and probably until the format becomes writeable) will be only for games. At least as far as I'm concerned.

Null
02-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Hopfully down the road there will be a way to make the PSP support Divx format for movie files. that would be pretty helpful.

MuGen
02-10-2005, 02:01 PM
I don't see it as wasting money CamFu... of course you are entitled to your own opinion. I'm not going to buy movies that I have. I'm not stupid like that, and you didn't call me stupid I know.

My point is.... I'm buying the UMD movies that aren't being released on DVD format here, Such as Final Fantasy VII Advent Children... it is making a UMD release before the DVD in North America comes out. And I'm a regular japanese movie watcher, and a lot of the movies in japan I want are not out here, and I will be purchasing the UMD's. I won' t be buying your regular everyday UMD's just to have them for PSP. I hope that answers your question as to why I would buy UMD movies. In any case, I'm here to support Sony's efforts as well.

Null
02-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Wondering a few things...

1, I wonder if someone will make a program that uses the USB connection to PSP, to read whats on the UMD movie disc, copy it to the PC hard drive, then make a DVD out of it.

2. I wonder if there will be a way to connect the PSP to the TV and either play games or watch the UMD movies on the full sized TV.

I still would never buy a UMD movie, i agree with camfu that they seem totally pointless. much like buying the tv shows for GBA that they had available.

However getting a big enough mem card to put some movie files on does interest me.

Canyarion
02-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Yeah, Kyuzo's post also made me wonder if it will be possible to rip the UMD movies. :)

gekko
02-10-2005, 08:35 PM
This makes PSP the first system to offer online play at launch...

Actually, Dreamcast was the first system to offer online play at launch, and it was cheaper too.

I want to get a PSP, but I think the price right now is too high. I'm also not too interested in the launch games. I also don't like the fact that it has the exposed screen, and I'm not sure how the UMD will hold up. My combat veteran Game Boy Advance SP has been pretty beat up, but the cartridges had take a beaten, as can the SP itself, since it folds up to protect the screen. My DS is supposed to be here any day now, but I'm assuming it will be the same story, the outside takes abuse, the screen is untouched.

I don't know how many people have handhelds get bounced around in an armored vehicle, but the point is these things are portable, take them anywhere, but being portable should mean throwing it in a bag, or in the backseat of your car, and not worrying about a scratched screen when you take it out.

DeathsHand
02-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Actually, Dreamcast was the first system to offer online play at launch, and it was cheaper too.

Dreamcast at launch offered a modem with no games taking advantage of it...

PSP games are taking advantage of the online play right from the start...

PSP's the first system to actually have online PLAY at launch...

Null
02-10-2005, 08:41 PM
I dont totally get that tho. With your SP, you dont leave it unfolded and bouncing around in the vehicle right? you fold it up i assume. Same with DS. So what really would be the difference between folding it up and sliding it into a case? either way requires something to be done to protect it, and either way the screen is exposed while playing. So i've never quite understood the argument about one screen being protected and the other not. Seems pretty much exactly the same to me.

gekko
02-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Dreamcast at launch offered a modem with no games taking advantage of it...

PSP games are taking advantage of the online play right from the start...

PSP's the first system to actually have online PLAY at launch...

I thought Chu Chu Rocket launched, I was wrong. But DC did have games online, it wasn't multi-player online play, but they were online in various ways to enhance gameplay. This is just another clever play of words from marketing execs.

And with my SP, we take fire, I slam it shut, throw it behind me. There's been a few times where there wasn't time to find a case, and put it inside. And the whole point of a handheld is to be able to put it in my pocket when I'm done, but that will leave the screen exposed.

Null
02-10-2005, 09:28 PM
And with my SP, we take fire, I slam it shut, throw it behind me. There's been a few times where there wasn't time to find a case, and put it inside. And the whole point of a handheld is to be able to put it in my pocket when I'm done, but that will leave the screen exposed.

yes but if you have time to throw it in your pocket, you have time to put it in a case first. PSP with its case should still be slimmer then the DS folded up.
of course im not talking about emergancies. Ememy ambushes you and starts firing, you stand up and say, TIME OUT! I HAVE TO PUT AWAY MY HANDHELD!.... YOU SEE IT GOT SO BORING HERE FIGHTING YOU GUYS I HAD TO HAVE SOMETHING TO DO!

hehe
i dunno. i just find neither better in that reguard. Both ways its up to you to protect your own screen. neither handheld does it for ya.....unless you drop the dS on its lid and it slams shut when it hits the ground. lol.

Eh, im sure someone will make a screen protector that snaps onto the PSP and folds down over the screen, IMO totally pointless but to each his own i suppose.

MuGen
02-15-2005, 11:15 AM
I think we need to look at the big picture here.

PSP is the first HANDHELD system to launch online. The preceding statement is for whomever differs upon the statement "...first SYSTEM..." because we all know Dreamcast was online.

We shouldn't compare systems to Handhelds... it's like saying "The DS sucks compared to the Gamecube"

....right?

DeathsHand
02-15-2005, 03:45 PM
because we all know Dreamcast was online.

But didn't have games that took advantage of online play right at launch...

And when I think of online play, I don't think of "online in various ways to enchance the gameplay"... I think of playing with or against people online, and PSP is the first console to offer that at launch...

It's not just a "clever play of words from marketing execs"...