PDA

View Full Version : American Dad

Jonbo298
02-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Watching it so far reminds me ever so much of Family Guy..its crazy but then again it comes from the same guy who made Family Guy so what can I expect :p

I think the fish can relate to Stewie and the Alien relates to Brian (dog). Freaky :eyes: :p

But I dont expect this show to get very far, honestly. Fox needs to get Family Guy and Futurama back with new episodes (I watched them before they hit Cartoon Network and never understand to this day why they cancelled them except ratings but meh, Fox is kicking themselves over and over by now :p )

Typhoid
02-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Wasnt the Pilot already posted here?

Or was that on another forum that I'm thinking of? :confused:

Crash
02-06-2005, 11:45 PM
naw, i watched the pilot months ago.. so i didn't bother seeing tonights episode....

I'd rather have the family guy.

Jonbo298
02-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Was it? I dont remember a thread but I could be wrong. If there was yet a thread started before (I made this one about commenting in the pilot that was shown after Simpsons/Superbowl)\

*edit*
I forgot about the pilot shown months ago >_<

dropCGCF
02-07-2005, 12:11 AM
It is Family Guy II.

Acebot44
02-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Yeah someone posted the pilot here a while ago. I also didnt bother watching it tonight.

Fox 6
02-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Ya Dylflon posted the pilot here awhile ago. The one they showed tonight was basically the pilot but the added more to it, and Carmen Electra guest starred.

GameMaster
02-07-2005, 12:49 AM
I don't understand why the creator just doesn't stick with Family Guy. If he's going to do an additional show, he needs to change the character design. The characters in American Dad are identical to the characters in Family Guy. At least change the eyes. Futurama did the same thing and I think that can be attributed to its lack of success. Although Futurama had a much different setting whereas American Dad is in the same time period and location. But both Futurama and American Dad are just variations of their predecessors. Their needs to be more change in the design style and genre for each show to successfully coexist with its relative show. Otherwise, Futurama and American shouldn't be introduced until after The Simpsons and Family guy have both ended.

thatmariolover
02-07-2005, 02:26 AM
I just kind of felt like it was an insult to Family Guy. But maybe that's just me.

Joeiss
02-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Well new Family Guy episodes start up May 1st, so at least we'll have a good summer!!

Stray_Bullet
02-07-2005, 09:54 AM
When Futurama came out, I enjoyed it. The characters were original. American Dad IS Family guy... with poor characters.

Dylflon
02-07-2005, 11:10 AM
I watched the trailer. I lowered my expectations and was able to enjoy it.

The german skier scene cracked me up.

The show isn't THAT bad. Just give it a chance.

Blackmane
02-07-2005, 11:13 AM
You can't be expecting Family Guy level stuff, because that just goes above and beyond. This show may have its moments. I love the dog trying to pee, but it ends up being just dust.

And, its ok, because new Family Guy is coming to Fox May 1st :)

Dyne
02-07-2005, 01:42 PM
I left my TV on Fox after the Super Bowl was on, and I half-watched the Simpsons episode. Then, American Dad was on. It barely grabbed my attention and I just turned it off about halfway. It's an ok show but I wouldn't sit down to watch it all the time.

DarkMaster
02-07-2005, 03:00 PM
What the hell? No one liked it? I thought it was great.

Null
02-07-2005, 03:16 PM
it got better as it went along. have to wait and see how it goes.

As for the others. Simpsons is long past its prime, they need to end it. Futurama was never very good. family guy thankfully is coming back.

KillerGremlin
02-07-2005, 04:33 PM
That new simpsons was total crap. They made an attempt at random humor.....and failed. The simpsons were past their prime 3 seasons ago...some one needs to tell them to end the god damn show and stop milking it.

The Germanator
02-07-2005, 06:45 PM
That new simpsons was total crap. They made an attempt at random humor.....and failed. The simpsons were past their prime 3 seasons ago...some one needs to tell them to end the god damn show and stop milking it.

To be honest, I thought it was actually one of the better Simpsons that I've seen in the last few years. I agree that the show in general has gotten more absurd and ridiculous over the years, but last night's wasn't terrible.

Typhoid
02-07-2005, 07:06 PM
To be honest, I thought it was actually one of the better Simpsons that I've seen in the last few years. I agree that the show in general has gotten more absurd and ridiculous over the years, but last night's wasn't terrible.

I agree.

I mean, I actually laughed during The Simpsons last night.

Stonecutter
02-07-2005, 08:03 PM
it got better as it went along. have to wait and see how it goes.

As for the others. Simpsons is long past its prime, they need to end it. Futurama was never very good. family guy thankfully is coming back.
I agree on everything except Futurama, which is one of the most underrated shows ever.

Null
02-07-2005, 08:08 PM
I agree on everything except Futurama, which is one of the most underrated shows ever.

well while i admit its become better in syndication then it ever was when it first came out. And you may be right about it was underrated, but now i feel its almost overrated the way people talk of it now.

Jason1
02-07-2005, 08:55 PM
I agree.

I mean, I actually laughed during The Simpsons last night.

I couldnt agree more. Ive seen all the new episodes this season, some have been decent, some not so decent, but I think the Super Bowl one was probably the best so far, had some really funny gags and seemed to flow really well. That part where Mario showed up in the italian bus was halarious. With homer throwing the barrels at him...what a funny and excellent knock on Donkey Kong.

Anywho, I'll be the first to admit the Simpsons isnt as good as it once was back in its heyday. That being said, Id still rather watch it than almost any other cartoon on television, because its still BETTER than almost any other cartoon on television. You dont take a show off the air just because its not quite as good as it once was.

KillerGremlin
02-07-2005, 11:43 PM
Family Guy is superior to the new Simpsons. And so is South Park.

Arrested Developement is so much funnier then the new Simpsons. I don't know how you people can stand the new episodes......especially if you have been fans of the Simpsons from way back. I've been watching the show for like 10+ years.

The Germanator
02-07-2005, 11:50 PM
I'll agree with almost everything you said... Family Guy is better, Arrested Development is better, and South Park is much better than the new Simpsons...Let's say there a good deal of shows better than these recent episodes. Most new Simpsons episodes aren't very good, and it's sad to see that kind of decline, but I was just saying that last night's episode was one of the better new one's I've seen in a while.

Though I also watched it at 3:30 in the AM and I was trying to have something to cheer me up after the Philadelphia Eagles broke my heart again, so maybe my point of view was a bit skewed.

Joeiss
02-08-2005, 11:43 AM
South Park is phenominal. I used to love it when I was a kid.. then didn't really watch too much of it until I came to University.. Now I watch it every night. :)

Stonecutter
02-08-2005, 10:19 PM
By the way...

The reason Simpsons sucks now.

It's lost every hint of subtilty

jeepnut
02-09-2005, 01:01 AM
By the way...

The reason Simpsons sucks now.

It's lost every hint of subtilty

Agreed entirely. I don't watch much Simpsons anymore, but I did see the episode following the superbowl. I believe that that is the first episode of the Simpsons in which I did not crack a laugh at all through its entirety. This includes viewings of episodes I have seen several times before.

And American Dad was just lame. It seemed like it was created to be a second try at Family Guy. The original was much better and I'm glad that it's back. Hopefully this means that American Dad's days are numbered.

KillerGremlin
02-09-2005, 04:18 PM
I thought the Donkey Kong reference was contrived.....which made it not funny. To be honest, I turned it off and went to *bed* for *sleep* after about 15 painful minutes of it.

The Simpsons continue to reuse plot ideas by the way.

Apparently the show is supposed to run for a few more years. By then, hopefully FOX goes bankrupt.

Blackmane
02-09-2005, 05:30 PM
I hope that American Dad can be original, but deep down I don't feel that it can. There is so much similarity to Family Guy. I mean, even the names have similarity...

But, I will not close it out just yet. I will just have an open mind to the show and not try to compare it to Family Guy.

dropCGCF
02-09-2005, 05:35 PM
I hope that American Dad can be original, but deep down I don't feel that it can. There is so much similarity to Family Guy. I mean, even the names have similarity...

But, I will not close it out just yet. I will just have an open mind to the show and not try to compare it to Family Guy.

It IS decent for humor. I would rather watch it than many other shows. And keep in mind, it is a pilot episode as well.

Blackmane
02-09-2005, 05:39 PM
True.

If I remember right, Family Guy's pilot wasn't the greatest either. At least, it didn't compare to the greatness that it is now.

Acebot44
02-12-2005, 04:22 PM
"Due to the high ratings of American Dad,(approx. 15 million, an 8 million drop off from The Simpsons) fox is changing its time slot from 9:30 P.M. to 8:30 P.M. This move will force Arrested Development to end in late April, which trims its number to 18 episodes. This does not bode well for the critically acclaimed comedy, which has been averaging 6 million viewers a week."

Link (http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|93477|1|,00.html)

Typhoid
02-12-2005, 04:27 PM
*Shoots all the people in charge of Fox in the face for shortening Arrested Development*

The Germanator
02-13-2005, 11:59 AM
"Due to the high ratings of American Dad,(approx. 15 million, an 8 million drop off from The Simpsons) fox is changing its time slot from 9:30 P.M. to 8:30 P.M. This move will force Arrested Development to end in late April, which trims its number to 18 episodes. This does not bode well for the critically acclaimed comedy, which has been averaging 6 million viewers a week."

That is awful. Arrested Development is an established emmy award winning show. Of course there will be high ratings for American Dad, it's the first dang show and it came on right after the super bowl. I like Fox, but this is lame.

Jonbo298
02-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Hopefully American Dad gets better then the pilot. But as most pilots are..they aren't the best but over time get better.

AzeaL
02-13-2005, 12:34 PM
I thought this show was funny, but reminded me alot of family guy

Teuthida
02-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Yeah, it reminded me way too much of Family Guy. If Family Guy wasn't coming back, which it is, then I could see how it would be ok to be so similar but...

Like how Futurama was from Matt Groening yet didn't resemble the Simpsons at all except for slightly similar character designs. Separated itself well.

Jonbo298
02-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Yeah, Futurama was a little like the Simpsons but watching the shows never made me think of Simpsons which was nice.

AzeaL
02-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Yeah, futurama is kind of original unlike this, reminds me too much of family guy

KillerGremlin
02-13-2005, 03:57 PM

Screw that. I hope Fox burns in hell. We don't need two Family Guys. I'd rather watch Family Guy and Arrested Development.

*misses Titus

Blackmane
02-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Screw that. I hope Fox burns in hell. We don't need two Family Guys. I'd rather watch Family Guy and Arrested Development.

I don't agree with what FOX is doing either. Arrested Development was a great show and I don't think that they will be satisfied with the longevity of American Dad once the new Family Guy episodes come out.

But, Fox will end up paying for it if they are wrong, so we don't have anything to worry about.

jeepnut
02-13-2005, 09:50 PM
*misses Titus

TITUS!!! I miss that show a lot! Absolutely hilarious. I wish the people involved would put something else out that is as good as Titus was.

Null
02-13-2005, 10:16 PM
I don't agree with what FOX is doing either. Arrested Development was a great show and I don't think that they will be satisfied with the longevity of American Dad once the new Family Guy episodes come out.

But, Fox will end up paying for it if they are wrong, so we don't have anything to worry about.

well not always are the good shows and most popular shows the same show.
as good as arrested development is, (one of the, if not THE current best show on TV), if nots not making them money they have no choice.

people are stupid. they'd rather watch the popular ones then the good ones. Why do you think AOL is popular? certainly not because its good. its popular because its popular. and thats what attracts people to it.
Think of all the good movies that dont do nearly as good as the crappy ones, just because the crappy ones are the popular type.

KillerGremlin
02-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Yup. Apple has been making a fortune using that strategy.

But wait, what's this, Macs aren't the number one used computers in America? What a shame.

Usually, it catches up to you and fuc|ks you in the end.

Jonbo298
02-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Thats where the iPod comes in Gremlin :p

Blackmane
02-14-2005, 12:46 AM
Certainly Apple is popular in the MP3 business because of the iPod, but that doesn't affect it's popularity in the computer area, because PC's are still by far #1 popularity.

And I have to agree with you Null, because thinking about it, I see that you are true. Same with Apple computers: They are better than PC's in many ways, but pcs are more popular. Go figure.

However, I still think that once people realize how similiar Family Guy and American Dad are, Fox will regret their decision.

KillerGremlin
02-14-2005, 04:03 PM
"Better" in what ways?

As far as the interface goes, sure, an Apple may be superior. As far as what's practical for the every day user, a PC is better. Go figure. Apple screwed up big, they targeted the wrong audience with their Macs. Oh well.

Apple Computers are also overpriced, a trend notable in all Apple products.