PDA

View Full Version : Best God Damn Movie Ever Made

gekko
01-19-2002, 12:07 AM
Black Hawk Down. See it, now!!

But it's very violent. Bought 2 hours of constant war footage. Guys finger hangs off. Guy gets blown in half. They reach inside this dude's leg. But it makes for a perfect film.

Go see it now!

PureEvil
01-19-2002, 12:14 AM
Yeah... This movie looks completely wicked. Usually these wars movies do, but even from the previews and stuff, Black Hawk Down looks to be somewhat superior.

I must, must go see it.

(And did anyone ever see Behind Enemy Lines? That looked cool, but I never checked it out(Not yet, anyway). How was it?)

GameKinG
01-19-2002, 12:34 AM
I really want to see it too! Its my top priority of what to see right now. Finals are nothing this (spits at review sheet).

Fez
01-19-2002, 12:52 AM
After I've seen Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, Ocean's Eleven and Spy Game...then I will see this movie.

Cyrax9
01-19-2002, 01:08 AM
I'm have Enemy at the Gates, The Green Mile, and Behind Enemy lines on my list of war movies to rent. Now I need to add Black Hawk Down, as soon as I can rent it. The worst war movie "Pearl Harbor", I didn't even see it,because aI was told it was so bad.

Neo
01-19-2002, 01:13 AM
I haven't seen Pearl Harbor yet for the same reason - but I think if you skip over the sappy parts and just watch the battles it would be okay.

Shadow_Link
01-19-2002, 07:24 AM
Don't see Behind Enemy Lines... It really isn't that good...

The reason I haven't seen Black Hawk Down yet is because it is developed by Ridley Scott (that's good), but with the Bruckheimer(Bad thing!)... The last times they worked together, they made absolutely S*IT films... If Ridley Scott ever did work without the Bruckheimer (like Gladiator), then it would have been okay...

BreakABone
01-19-2002, 08:33 AM
Without read the post first.. this thread is most likely about Black Hawk Down....

*Reads Gekko's post*

Yeah pretty much correct...you can tell someone is obessed with a movie when they were planning on flying to a city to see it a month early....

The Germanator
01-19-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Shadow_Link
Don't see Behind Enemy Lines... It really isn't that good...

The reason I haven't seen Black Hawk Down yet is because it is developed by Ridley Scott (that's good), but with the Coen Brothers (Bad thing!)... The last times they worked together, they made absolutely S*IT films... If Ridley Scott ever did work without the C.Bros (like Gladiator), then it would have been okay...
You don't like the Coen brothers? *shakes fist in anger at Shadow Link*

Shadow_Link
01-19-2002, 11:17 AM
What the hell? Oh ****e! I flipping mean Bruckheimer! Not the Coen Brothers! Ahhhh!

The COEN Brothers are amazing! There, all fixed, you should have pointed that out!

The_Dunadan
01-19-2002, 11:48 AM
i go and see it later today:)

Revival
01-19-2002, 11:52 AM
My dad has Pearl Harbor on DVD. I'm going to steal it and watch it tonight.

gekko
01-19-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by PureEvil
(And did anyone ever see Behind Enemy Lines? That looked cool, but I never checked it out(Not yet, anyway). How was it?)

Ya, I saw it. Not bad, but it's more of a story, you know? Like the movie had a plot, and it just happened to revolve around the fighting. It's not a movie that's really about war. That, and the ending was cheesy.

I did want to beat that UN guys ass at the end of the movie. Hell, at the beginning too. I hated him. Wait until this comes out of video.

But for Black Hawk Down, you must go see it! I've really only heard one real (non I'm a *****) complaint, and that was it was made for Hollywood. See you have like 5 characters that the movie really revolves around, and because of that, they changed things so they were in places that they actually weren't. They also added some fighting that never took place.

Still, that was a remark from the wife of one of the Rangers. To us, we wouldn't even know. Also, the movie doesn't give background information on the characters as much. I was able to piuece a lot of things together because I've read the book. The guy typing, the guy who took the armor plate out of his back, the guy who decided for the first time not to wear ear plugs, and the African safari. Made so much more sense.

They also do a great job showing you the differences between the Rangers and Deltas. Great movie, in the end. Must go see it!

The Germanator
01-19-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Shadow_Link
What the hell? Oh ****e! I flipping mean Bruckheimer! Not the Coen Brothers! Ahhhh!

The COEN Brothers are amazing! There, all fixed, you should have pointed that out!
Phew! I was worried for a second. Nobody best be dissing on my Coen's.

DeathsHand
01-19-2002, 05:06 PM
Well we went to see it last night, but we had to drop my friend's step-sister off somewhere, and she kinda screwed up where it was and it turned out to be in a different area that was further away, so when we got there it was sold out...

I figured gekko would love it, cuz he's a little obsessed with the war stuff... it's scary :(

Fez
01-19-2002, 09:40 PM
I've read other reviews of bhd and it sounds pretty crappy. I'll be straying away from it.

But THE COEN BROTHERS ARE THE BEST.

gekko
01-19-2002, 10:00 PM
The people that review it are dumbasses. They know jack-**** about what happened in Mog, and all they really judge is the amount of violence and lack of character building.

I guess they expect war to be prettier. Hell, a lot of stuff wasn't even in there. The numerous times the Somali men hid behind women holding baby children and the Rangers were forced to shoot them all. The times they tried hiding behind a cow, and then the UH-60 ripped it apart.

Hell, even the IGN Film Force reviewer gave a link to background information and still couldn't get the story right.

DeathsHand
01-19-2002, 10:05 PM
"I didn't take boomerang shrapnel to my head just to blah blah blah"...

Gekko kinda sounds like the crazy soldier dudes that the GTA3 guys made fun of in err... GTA3... only Gekko's only 16 and hasn't actually been in a war... He's just interested in it err... a little too much...

I mean uhhh... :sneaky: *runs away*

gekko
01-19-2002, 10:10 PM
No one on these forums has been in a war. Am I interested in it? Ya, sue me.

And I haven't played GTA3 yet. Care to explain?

Doctor Zhivago
09-21-2002, 07:47 AM
Do you honestly think that Black Hawk Down is "the best god damn movie ever made"? If so, then (this may sound odd) you should start watching more movies. Personally I found it to be rather boring. There was some dialogue at the beginning, but within about ten minutes, it just turned into a big war scene that lasted for the rest of the movie. That's actually how most newer war films are (That's why I'm not a big fan of them). Anyway, I thought that the acting was bad; The direction was so-so; And the cinematography just wasn't too impressive. I wasn't expecting that much from it, though. I've never been a big Ridley Scott fan. I just don't think that he has the ability to tell a story in an interesting way. So sue me. By the way, Gekko, you sound just like my uncle, who I was watching the movie with. He's a crazed postal worker who, for whatever reason, is really "interested" in wars and whatnot. He wouldn't shut up during the movie (Like I really minded). He kept saying crap like "Yeah, all this **** happened because of Clinton (He's one of those "serious" "Republicans")! If he didn't ***** foot around this **** and send more troops in, none of this god damn **** would have happened!" Man, that guy is annoying.

Happydude
09-21-2002, 09:20 AM
i saw both Black Hawk Down and Behind Enemy Lines, i like both of them, though black hawk down has it's boring moments, unlike behind enemy lines, there is always something happening.

but i likes both of them.

ClownofDespair
09-21-2002, 10:07 AM
I agree with what Bob said. Black Hawk Down was one steaming piece of horse poo.

gekko
09-21-2002, 12:31 PM
Do I honestly think BHD is the best movie ever made? No, Full Metal Jacket is. But BHD is up there, and the thread was supposed to get you all to go see it, but question it's it's really the best, or second best movie out.

BHD isn't supposed to be a ****ing love story. It's about a mission gone to ****s and the way they were able to deal with the situation and make it out. Where do you expect to throw words into that? They breifly explained the background, they explained the mission, and showed what happened, and then the rest of the battle, before they finally made it home. Although, not all of it was accurate, but it's a Hollywood film, not a documentary. If you want the whole story, read the book.

And ya, Clinton sucks ass. We sent guys in to stop Aidid, and then once 18 people died trying to stop this guy, he decided to pull us out and let Aidid remain in power. Basically these guys died for nothing.

Doctor Zhivago
09-21-2002, 12:48 PM
Was I expecting a love story? No (I wouldn't want one). I was at least expecting...something. That's the movie's problem: It has no substance whatsoever. It was almost as bad as Saving Private Ryan. And, by the way, please, please don't compare Black Hawk Down to Full Metal Jacket. That's like comparing 007 Racing to Chrono Trigger. Full Metal Jacket was a great movie (Definitely not one of my favorites, though). It had just the right balance between story and action. And, c'mon, it was a Stanley Kubrick picture, after all. The direction was great and the cinematography was just as good (Gotta love those tracking shots that Kubrick uses). The acting wasn't bad either. Though I think the guy who played the drill instructor (Dammit, why can't I remember his name right now :mad: ) outshone every other actor in the film.

gekko
09-21-2002, 03:25 PM
I didn't compare ****. And his name is R. Lee Ermey, and the reason he outshone the rest of the group is because GySgt Ermey actually was a DI on Parris Island, until he had to leave the Marine Corps due to some injury he got in Vietnam. He got the role while trying to teach an actor how to do it. He started screaming at his recruits for 15 minutes never repeating a line once, then they just decided to have Ermey do it. It's not too hard for a former DI to play a DI.

Professor S
09-21-2002, 05:48 PM
The reason why Black Hawk Down was a 2 hour fighting scene is because it was a true story, and thats what happened. Now you could create some fake drama or what have you, but then that would be unthruthful.

BHD = Great Movie
Behind Enemy Lines = Steaming pile of crap
The Green Mile = Is that even a war movie?
Coen Brothers = Greatest directing duo of all time.

Best movie ever = Citizen Kane (Great movie plus it changed the way that movies were made for all time)

My Favorite Movie = Miller's Crossing (Coen brother's fild to boot:D)

Perfect Stu
09-21-2002, 08:03 PM
Black Hawk Down is a great movie...it's not the type of movie to have a hollywood type plot, or characters, or any of that crap...it's a movie about what happened in WAR. And I really liked it.

I liked Saving Private Ryan more tho...

Fav movie of all time: The Sting or The Great Escape :cool:

Xantar
09-22-2002, 12:25 AM
Black Hawk Down was poorly directed?

Listen here for a second. That movie often had four storylines all going on at once. And they weren't the same four storylines throughout. And everybody was confused, barely knew what was going on.

On top of that, it was the story of hundreds of people fighting thousands of people all across the area of an entire city. And the nature of the fight was that it was important to know where everyone was in relation to each other.

Yet, Ridley Scott managed to convey this story in such a way that the audience more or less knows what's going on at all times. That is not a feat to be sneered at. And oh yeah, it was also pretty realistic. At least that's what soldiers say. I wouldn't know.

Bob, you say you were expecting "something" in the movie. Well, here's something that the movie offers:

"A modern urban battle looks like this. One particular modern urban battle looked like this."

Not good enough? How about the line spoken towards the end: "It's just about the man next to you." I think the movie makes the point pretty well. I'll bet you weren't thinking about politics for most of the movie.

You can like it or not like it. That's your prerogative. But to say that it was poorly directed or didn't have any substance is to not think about it adequately.

sdtPikachu
09-23-2002, 01:29 PM
I still don't think it's a patch of Full Metal Jacket though... ;)

But then war movies (based on true stories or not) tend to suck badly anyway. They tend to be horribly biased, which I consider to be a bad thing.

Take "The Longest Day" for example. Classic 3 1/4 hour war film about the D-Day invasions, dubbed "how the Americans won the war for us". How much mention does it make of all the british and french resistance intelligence work? Not an awful lot.

How much does it make the Nazi's look like a poorly organised and evil rabble? Quite a bit.

Sigh.

Shadow_Link
09-23-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by sdtPikachu
I still don't think it's a patch of Full Metal Jacket though... ;)

But then war movies (based on true stories or not) tend to suck badly anyway. They tend to be horribly biased, which I consider to be a bad thing.

Take "The Longest Day" for example. Classic 3 1/4 hour war film about the D-Day invasions, dubbed "how the Americans won the war for us". How much mention does it make of all the british and french resistance intelligence work? Not an awful lot.

How much does it make the Nazi's look like a poorly organised and evil rabble? Quite a bit.

Sigh.

Agreed, then again, as you said, there was Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, and also a film called The Thin Red Line ;).

Stangler, you hit the nail right on the head, Citizen Kane was one the most influential movies of all time, in terms of setting standards.

I have too many favourite films, it's impossible to say just one favourite!

Here are some :D:

Good Fellas
The Shawshank Redemption
Scarface
Raging Bull
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
God Father 1/2
Millers Crossing
Minority Reports
Misery

Ah this is impossible... That and all the other hundreds of great movies I have in my collection :D.

Professor S
09-23-2002, 02:33 PM
The Longest Day was made in the fifties or early sixties. It was a very politically charged time with the Red Scare. To expect it to be completely accurate in all accounts is kind of silly. They did touch on the french resistance a good bit, though, so I don't think you have that much to complain about there.

What really made D-Day possible wasn't European intelligence, even though that helped, but it was the cracking of the German's secret code. The US sent false messages to the German's giving them the idea that they would be invading from England. They even went so far as to have the British inflate fake military vehicles along the English border too fool Rommel.

But I digress...

Xantar
09-23-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by sdtPikachu

What are you talking about? That movie must have devoted over 5 minutes to Sean Connery marching around with a bunch of Scotsmen playing the bagpipes behind enemy lines. ;)

Actually, if you want one of the more balanced true war story movies, I suggest you take a look at We Were Soldiers. It doesn't really have a slant (except perhaps an anti-war one). You can be sure that it had to pass through the rigorous scrutiny of my Vietnamese family before I could make a declaration like that. :)

Dragon-Fly
10-03-2002, 06:52 PM
Well its a good movie but i just don't find it amazing. not what i thought.

gekko
10-03-2002, 07:03 PM
We Were Soldiers doesn't have an anti-war slant. Moore doesn't strike me as an anti-war guy. He just wanted to show the other side of war, particularly in a Vietnam film, since none of them show the human sides of the soldiers. Moore doesn't seem anti-war, just trying to get people to respect the men who died, on both sides. Seems him and the Vietnamese general are good buds now.

On a side note, the guy who played the Vietnamese general is apparently being thrown out of his country for treason.